The Black Smithereens

The Black Smithereens

I have seen Andy Irvine play in numerous videos, but unfortunately, not live. I have also collected most of his discography especially with Planxty. The first time I heard The Blacksmith and the instrumental which followed and has now been dubbed by many as the Black Smithereen, was one of those recordings which just made a huge impression upon me. I have transcribed several of Irvine’s recordings but must say this instrumental after the Blacksmith has passages which really escape me, especially those parts where Liam O’Flynn’s pipes join in with Mandolin and Bouzouki. I have most of the work transcribed but there are parts that don’t quite resolve as the recording and I’m flabbergasted. After seeing two young pups on youtube manage the entire work on just mandolin and bouzouki I decided to pull my hair out. Does anyone out there have a transcription? If so give me a call -817.371.5803. I have other works transcribed and available if you are interested.

Re: The Black Smithereens

I’d be inclined to say "Don’t copy, don’t even try to copy, try to be yourself."
There’s nothing wrong with being inspired by someone, but being an automaton repeating exactly what someone else has done is entirely another matter.

I think you need to use witchcraft to get that good. Did you notice the ‘sensored verse’ where they just stop singing? A sign of the times!

Posted by .

Andy is an amazing musician, and I think the interplay between himself and Mr. Lunny is what makes the magic work here. Incidentally, Andy plays a concert to celebrate his 70th birthday in Vicar Street Dublin on June 16th. Should be a night to remember. http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Andy-Irvine-tickets/artist/1492530

YES THE GIG IS SURE TO BE ONE TO REMEMBER, I DO HOPE JOHNNY MOYNIHAN SHOWS UP, I’VE YET TO SEE HIM PLAY LIVE.

For all of you who have replied…

I finally just went ahead and transcribed it myself. If you wish to have me email the transcription, I’ll do so in pdf format. For purposes of writing out manuscript and observing meter time sig natures change quite often. If anyone wants abc notation, well, you might just have to wait.

I hear a 10/8 rhythm devided in 3,3,2,2

I’ve finally spent a few minutes transcribing this if someone needs or wants it. Email me if you wish to have a pdf copy. By the way, Andy switches from 6/8 to 2/4 or 3/8, perhaps, one could write that out as 10/8 or 9/8, but I find it easier thinking of a switch from 6/8 to 2/4, and that’s how I ‘ll provide it in manuscript.