Eddie Kelly

Eddie Kelly

Any information on the east Galway fiddler welcome please

Re: Eddie Kelly

Hmmm…..with regard to what’s on that website linked above, I’d suggest that either of the 2 jigs named after Eddie Kelly are more common than the reel. Also Liz Carroll recorded one of his jigs, but not the reel, as far as I remember. I think both Kathleen Collins and Paddy Carty recorded the reel. Can’t think of more than 3 or 4 tunes attributed to him. If he wrote around 20, I’d love to hear the others.

Posted by .

That site seems to suggest the Meelick Team is not the same tune as the one that appeared on the Clare concertina recording as ‘Martin Talty’s’. It is.

Tim Collins is preparing a thesis around East Galway composition. That will have plenty of information.

Posted .

Eilis Crean of Roscommon, now in Tennesee, was taught fiddle by him and is appaently working on a CD and book of tunes.

Mike, Great news! I knew Eilis when we she lived in the Boston area and she often spoke of Mr. Kelly as a player, teacher, and composer. I think his tunes are played by many who don’t realize he composed them.

PG

Incidentally, Eddie Kelly is still very much alive as far as I know and he appeared on stage with Tony McMahon and Frankie Gavin at the 2010 Ennis Trad Festival where he played his beautiful self-named Reel.

https://thesession.org/tunes/2815

Posted .

Thanks for the cranford link. The info on Meelick Team Jig was interesting. Apparently they lost to Thurles in 1887 in the All-Ireland!.

That tune is very similar to the first of two Eddie Kelly’s jigs played by Mandy Murray on Ango international( E minor) she heard it from Dolores Keane in the 70s

Eddie Kelly

I am delighted to see a discussion on Eddie Kelly and to hear from Mike on Facebook. In his lifetime, Eddie taught three students - one on the button box and two fiddlers. Two have stopped playing;I still play and promote Eddies inimitable style and that of East Galway fiddleplaying.

My name is Éilís Crean and you can hear Eddie’s playing by visiting my website www.eiliscreansite.com and checking out the music page. Both Eddie and Paddy Fahy spent years playing together with a friendly rivalry about who composed what tune. It is true that I have the scores of all Eddie’s tunes as he sent them to me a few years ago. I am working on recording them and also getting a book published of the tunes.

I am organizing a festival in Franklin TN, USA this year to honor Eddie and his contribution to the beauty of the East Galway style of traditional Irish music. I am hoping that his health will allow him to attend in person. It promises to be a wonderful occasion and I am dedicated and inspired by the project, as it also honors my dad who passed away in 2010. The festival T-CAIF Tom Crean Authentic Ireland Festival will feature musicians from the East Galway region and the workshops will consist of Eddie’s tunes and also those of Paddy Fahy.

I am so interested in everyone’s contribution on when Eddie was on TV and the cranfordpub.com link was just amazing for me to read.

Please visit www.aiceteamireland.com and read more about the organization and about T-CAIF. Feel free to email me at eiliscrean@gmail.com if you’d like further information on Eddie. It would be great if we got a fanclub going! I was amazed when I lived in Boston for 9yrs and no-one in Boston had even heard of Eddie Kelly….I was amused to say the least of it, and as time went on, not too surprised in the end!

‘The Lonesone Fiddler ‘is a beautiful tune and has been recorded incorrectly by Kathlean Collins - Eddie is greatly disappointed by this. Take a listen to him playing it on my website and you will hear of the subtle B natural - the note that makes the tune as he says himself!

Look forward to hearing from anyone else who has stories on Eddie. And also I’d like to learn more about that East Galway project by Tim Collins, if anyone has information I’d be delighted to hear more.

Thanks again Paul for drawing my attention to this thread and I hope that you all enjoyed hearing a little more about Eddie.

Beannachtaí,
Éilís Crean

Thanks Eilis for the link to Eddie’s playing , great.

It’s interesting how his tunes ahve been taken up and how names change as different people play and record them That’s the traditional process. I think Paddy Fahy lets them spread around that way too. They certainly change a bit but are recognisably the same tune. Fascinating to see the ‘gene pool’ expanding and the selection process in action..

The tunes on the website wre great Thanks for sharing them.

Dear Mike et al,
I am thrilled to be able to share the tunes as Eddie is a wonderful player and was and still is a wealth of knowledge, and just so steeped in the tradition, which is the most important aspect of all. To know and live out the tradition of what it was all really about.

As for the tunes being played differently, I think it is b/c people learn by ear and it takes a discerning ear indeed to be able to pick out the notes correctly. The tunes by Eddie and Paddy are very beautiful in the way they are artfully constructed. It’s important to give the tunes the time that they need to be learned..exactly as they were composed. Taking short cuts is indeed a dis-service. Its necessary to honor the minds that created these tunes and accept that they are different and more challenging than most, to step outside ourselves, ignore our egos and enjoy the fact that it might take us a bit longer to learn them than most. It’s a gift; and it brings beauty to our lives - it certainly has to mine.

It’s been great these past few days hearing from various people who are interested in hearing more of Eddie, his tunes etc. Delighted to have the opportunity to share what I know and love about the East Galway style and Eddie Kelly.

Beannachtaí,

Éilís Crean

I posted above that "Eddie Kelly’s" reel had been recorded by Co.Galway flute-player Paddy Carty. This is what the sleeve-notes - by Daniel Michael Collins - have to say about the tune, and Eddie :

"Eddie Kelly’s Reel" was written by Eddie Kelly of Castlerea, Co. Roscommon. Eddie is a fiddler, under 35 years of age, and he has written what I consider to be a most unusual and classic reel. The time in the first part is very tricky, with its’ dotted 1/4 notes. Eddie wrote this reel in 10 minutes about 8 years ago [*]. I have found that although the reels are acknowledged as being of the highest standard by all who hear them, they are virtually unknown. The reels should be played slower than normal tempo, savouring the dotted 1/4s."

[*] - the record was released in 1974, which would mean Eddie composed his reel around 1966.
I’ve added this information to the tune’s comments.

Posted by .

Kenny which was that record?

There’s a guy in the USA on eBay who’s selling the CD for under £9.00, and free P&P, apparently. That’s well worth it, if the P&P is genuinely free. The thing is though, that information is not included in the CD insert. I took it from the sleeve notes accompanying a copy of the original LP record.

Posted by .

Hi folks! Nice to be back We have been moving house and working on the new one here in Shireoaks in Nottinghamshire I was in touch with Eilis today Great news her CD is out and available also as download You can order copies signed by MrKelly!

Hey Mike, Thanks for letting people know about the album. Thank you so much for supporting Eddies music. He knows all about you back in Castlerea and we are working to get your autographed CD onto you. Of course, you know how these things go…nice and slowly..;)

For those of you who you like to catch a preview of the tracks on the album go to www.theirishgift.com.

I am joined by John Doyle, Kevin Crawford and Dermot Byrne.

Keep in touch Mike!!

I got the CD this week from Eilis and paid by paypal no bother. It is a lovely laid back recording with a track of an interview with Mr Kelly. There are some interesting keys and some of the tunes have a nice dark sound. It will keep me busy for a long time in seeking to emulate the flow. Like I did with Paddy Carty on flute

Eilis made a second CD which is excellent