Mystery band on Northumberland Rant?

Mystery band on Northumberland Rant?

I recently purchased a number of Willie Taylor and the Shepherds tunes from the CD Northumberland Rant (via the iTunes store). Most of the tunes were mislabelled and it has taken a while to sort this out. One problem remains, a band, supposedly played by The Shepherds, with 3 tunes: Dance de Chez Nous, Aunt Mary’s Canadian Jig, Neil Taylor’s Jig. The band actually sounds like a pipe solo and only has 2 tunes on it. Here are the first eight bars of the first tune: (key of D major) |; f/e/ | df AB/c/ | d2 Ag | f>e df | fd df/e/ | df AB/c/ | d2 Ag | f2 e>f | d2 d :| . I suspect that something were wrong when the tunes were transferred from the original LP to the CD b/c the LP liner notes (downlloadable from the Smithsonian) give 3:28 as the length for the 3 tunes on the label, but the CD gives 2:37 as the length for the same 3 tunes. If anyone can identify the 2 tunes actually played on the CD and, if possible, tell me if Dance de Chez Nous, etc. are to be found elsewhere on the CD I will be grateful. If someone has the good fortune to own both the LP and the CD, it should be easy to clear the problem up.

Posted by .

"Captain Norman Orr-Ewing March"

Submitted on March 23rd 2007 by ceolachan.
https://thesession.org/tunes/6995

I’m just heading out cac, but I’ve asked a friend to check in here. If you’ve not an answer by the time I’m back, late tonight, or the weekend, I’ll do my best to find you an answer…

Re: Mystery band on Northumberland Rant?

Many thanks! I wonder how the wrong set got attached to the CD version. Not only is it on the Smithsonian, it is also at amazon.co.uk: 7. Dance De Chez Nous/Aunt Mary’s Condition/Neil Taylor’s Jig - Willie Taylor/Will Atkinson.

Very frustrating, especially as it now appears that this set is not on any track on the CD.

Posted by .

Following up the links and names given by ceolachan (for which many thanks!), I reached Redford Cottage, and discovered that I wasn’t the first to stumble onto this label error:
https://thesession.org/tunes/6985
The discussion of the tune itself is in depth and enjoyable reading.

Posted by .

Back and recovering. Sorry about the rushed job. YesI - I should have remembered to mention and link to the comments for "Redford Cottage" as well… 😀

I’ve been trying to lay hands on the correspondence I had some years ago with the man who put this CD together - I think what happened is that right at the last minute they decided the sound on the Danse de Chez Nous set wasn’t as good as another track they hadn’t included, so they swapped them; but the printer must have missed the message ….
I don’t know of any recordings of those tunes by the Shepherds, sorry! I will check out From Sewingshields to Glendale, which might have them, but I think the recording they made for your CD was the only one. I’m pretty sure that Willie never recorded Neil Taylor’s (written by him for his son) anywhere.

Posted by .