Hosting a radio show

Hosting a radio show

Greetings,

Beginning the fourth Sunday this month (May 2012) and then every fourth Sunday of the month thereafter I will be hosting “Celtic Sunday Brunch” on WDVR FM (www.wdvrfm.org). In western NJ and eastern PA the station can be heard over the air at 89.7 or 91.9 on the FM dial or everywhere else via a live stream through the website.

My focus will be on the traditional music of Ireland with a smattering of the traditional music of Scotland, Wales, and Cape Breton. I intend to have interviews, both live and recorded, with area and visiting musicians.

If you’ve recorded a CD you feel appropriate for this format you’re welcome to send it to me for consideration:

E. Saultz
P. O. Box 5086
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

All the best!

Peace,
Ed

“Celtic Sunday Brunch” on WDVR FM

http://www.wdvrfm.org/

Damn, genius! This is what I should do to lessen the strain on the purse purchasing CDs. 😀 Best of luck Ed! No doubt there will be comment on the ‘Celtic’…

Will MP3s pass muster?

Re: Hosting a radio show

Mentioning eastern PA, kinda reminds me of a radio show I did at the small liberal arts college I went to just outside of Philadelphia. I had a friend who liked heavy metal so we co-hosted an hour-long show once a week called the “Irish Metal Power Hour” where I would play my traditional CDs, he would play his metal CDs, and then we would basically argue about how bad each other’s music was. We’re not friends anymore, but it wasn’t due to the show which was strangely enjoyable (at least for us).

I could send you some Irish music played by Germans 🙂

Posted by .

Let’s not forget Austria while we’re at it. 😉

I’ve worked in radio for quite awhile. Unfortunately, many stations use the “Celtic” shorthand to describe traditional music. I suppose they feel it makes it easier for listeners to know what to expect. One of the best shows of the sort Ed describes that I know of has “Celtic” in the title. The host inherited the name of the show, which was quite popular, so they weren’t about to change it. The good thing is the music will be heard on the radio. That’s not true in much of the U.S Good luck Ed.

The term Celtic may be a bit fuzzy, and create some arguments about what it does and should mean, but at least in the US, it works as an umbrella term for music from the regions that Ed has listed. For example, here locally the two shows that play Irish and Scottish music are called Celtic Sojourn and Celtic Realm.

Oh, and thanks for giving us the heads up, Ed. Good luck and I will be listening via internet!

Just curious, what happens the other three Sundays?

Posted .

“Just curious, what happens the other three Sundays?”

There are three other hosts with each of us bringing our own take on the music.

Ceol,

Thank you for your well wishes. ’twastn’t my intention when I accepted the offer however my dear friend Iris suggested I reach out to the community.

Al and Marvelle,

Thank you as well for your well wishes.

The show is long running and I am coming to the party a bit late but I too am not a big fan of the word “Celtic” as it relates to the traditional music of Ireland, or the other nations where the Celts settled. In time I may be able to unofficially amend the show’s title when I am on air, perhaps “Celtic Sunday Brunch Kitchen Style”.

Anyway, I hope you all tune in!

Peace,
Ed

Ed, can it be listened to online? Though, as has been the case before, sometimes that doesn’t include those of us over here on the other side of the Atlantic…

Ceol,

Indeed you can listen via the Internet. There is a live stream available at the station’s website; http://www.wdvrfm.org/ and it should work across the pond.

Peace,
Ed