Tool for removing accompaniment on recordings

Tool for removing accompaniment on recordings

Guys

I thought you might be interested in trying out a new software tool developed by some of my colleagues in the audio research group in DIT. Its called Riffstation and it has a whole load of audio processing tools such as chord analysis, time and pitch modification etc., but most interestingly for me, it can be used to isolate the different instruments in a recording. Ive used it to remove piano and guitar accompaniment for example so you can isolate the melody instrument for tune learning.

You can also slow down and transpose the instrument. Its rather cool and 100% developed in Ireland!

I’ve made a YouTube video demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrcqhemICdI

And you can download a free trial from their website to try it out for yourself:

http://riffstation.com/

Let me know how you get what you think…

Bryan

Re: Tool for removing accompaniment on recordings

I mean let me know how you get on… 🙂

Wow! Great user interface, incredible features… you have outdone yourself. (This is just based on the video, I haven’t downloaded it.)

I assume the isolation feature works only with stereo recordings, true? Even so, that’s a really nice app. You should do another video concentrating on the guitar features, that’s a huge market.

I play bouzouki and want to learn how to back up the melody, so will this program remove the lead and let me hear the backup?

Impressive. I look forward to the version that works in real time to neutralize targeted session players.

It looks good — I’ve just tried it on an old mono recording of fiddle and harp and it seems that the instruments can be isolated somewhat using a frequency filter. The pitch- and tempo-change seem to be smooth and easy to use, with a one-cent (I think) fine tuner, and the auto-chord-selection tool has 80% accuracy, with a facility to change the chords if you wish. Your original tracks remain unchanged, but you can save all the settings easily enough. I know a couple of people who would love this, and I will be passing on the info.
Now to try it out on a bodhran…

@Will morgan — that’s what the point on the end of the bow is for.

Posted by .

@John Galt

LOL! I cant take ANY credit for this one as it was developed by Dan Barry and Mikel Gainza (my PhD supervisor) from the Audio Research Group in DIT.

@gam It does require a stereo recording I know and it uses the differences in how a particular instrument is distributed in the stereo mix to filter. It doesnt always work 100%, but when it does (as with the demos I used in my video) it is pretty amazing.

@wvwhistler - Yes it can.

Here is a full demo of all the features targeted at guitar players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gX0HxLDPYcU

Now if this could done in a live session you’d really have something.

Isn’t the tool for removing accompaniment in a session in Ireland a shillelagh ? 🙂

Posted by .

Any plan for a Mac version?

@skooter500 is it possible to change the chord type to other stringed instruments, or is it only for guitar?

Posted by .

Can I get rid of Declan Sinnott on Christy Moore CD’s. I much prefer pure Christy with the electric noise that ruins many of the tracks for me.

@gam Im pretty sure its just guitar in this version
@belfastrab I’d say so. Try it out. You can download a free trial

That live session version would be invaluable. For example, when one too many drummers shows up, and insists on thumping along to everything.

Wow,
Thats awesome!
I downloaded it, and it looks like it works great!

I had the same thought as David and Al…. if only it could be done for a live session. Surely you can write an app for that.

DrSilverSpear They are working on an IOS version AFAIK. And dont call me Shirley.

Love it 🙂

Hi Kenny!

You beat me to it! The only other tool I heard of was the famous
penknife…

All the best

Brian x

I was told that a Mac version is coming out soon:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your interest in Riffstation! Yes we are currently finishing our MAC version and we hope to release it in the summer. The windows version will also run on bootcamp or virtual box on MAC. Do you use any virtual windows client on MAC?

Cheers

Dan

Mike Keyes
http://www.mikekeyes.com