Copley or Burns?

Copley or Burns?

I’ve heard lots of good things about Casey Burns’ Folk Flute, and Copley’s delrin flutes, but I haven’t found much that tells me which is over all better, or, at least, that I would like better. I’ve also searched many posts from various sites about delrin vs. wood, and such, and some say there’s no difference, and others say it makes all the difference. So, it’s a bit confusing. So, which flute do you think is overall better?

Re: Copley or Burns?

WIth reasearch you will find a great number of opinions for the flutes on either side of this question. Both are fine makers and I’ve heard great tunes come out of both flutes. Neither has a formal tuning slide (provided you are looking at the “bottom of the line” Copley in comparison to the Burns Folk flute), so both use the tennon for minor pitch correction. Some players just prefer wood flutes (for whatever reason), but they do require slightly more care and maintenance. Honestly the only way to tell which would be “better” for you is for you to play each for a reasonable period of time. If you are just starting out I expect either flute will do you well, and small variations in embochure cut and bore will be more important than material of construction.

This is only the latest in a recent series of queries about rating flutes; surely you need to try them, individually ? Indeed most instruments.
I was in a shop in North Carolina, maybe 30 years ago, and saw there were two Martin guitars on the wall. I like Martins, a lot, and tried both of them. The D18 sang; the D28 was a lump of wood. They were on the wall for the same price. The D28 SHOULD have been a better guitar.
I reckon flutes might come out the same; you need to try them out individually to see how you find them. All the advice in the world won’t tell you if one will grab you by the throat and say “Buy me; sell all you have but buy me”.

Hm, yeah, I’m thinking the Copley is a better buy now.

Personally I like the Burns better. I find it has a stronger tone and a bigger volume. I have played both, but I have played the Burns a lot longer, so I am more used to it. I also hate delrin, there is a difference. As for overall better, I don’t think there is. The folk flute is the best flute for the price in my opinion. Also, go on youtube and look up the flutes.

Rob Forbes. forbesflutes.com
Supreme bang for the buck.

yeah, I’ve looked at Forbes, and it’s still on my choice list, but I’ve heard that the Copley is better. So, I’m going to assume they’re about the same. From what it looks like, I’m looking at three makers that make about the same level, am I right?

Forbes and Copley both make great flutes. Not sure I’d say one’s better than the other. Haven’t played a Folk Flute specifically (although I have played other flutes by Burns). Al three are good options. What criteria are you looking for? How long have you been playing?

Well, I’ve been playing for a bit over a year now, and play at the local session. I’m looking for a flute that’s preferably under $450 that is just loud enough to not get drowned out in our 6-7 person session. I would like it to have a good sound, capable of a hard and driving tone, as well as a sweeter, but haunting tone as well. It should also play easily, as in be very responsive. It does not have to have a tuning slide, but it still has to be in tune. As for the material, I can go with delrin or wood. It doesn’t matter that much to me. And yes, I know that certain specifications that I want will probably throw me up into the $700 range or higher, but I want the best for what I can get.

Go for the Forbes or the Copley. I love my wood Copley; I’ve tried a delrin Copley and a delrin Forbes side by side; both are good, but I particularly liked the Forbes.

Not to muddy the waters any further, but with those requirements and price point you might also want to consider a Somers 5-piece Pratten. They are well made, good sounding flutes and even have a tuning slide in the price range you are looking at. He even has a 21 day approval period, so if it doesn’t work for you you are only out the postage. http://www.somers-flutes.com/prices-contact

Worth mentioning that the Forbes has a clever tuning slide of sorts–not the traditional silver design, but it’s effective. Responsive: that’s one of the first adjectives I’d use to describe the Forbes I played. Very lively, resonant, etc. Reminded me a lot of an Olwell Pratten, actually.

Yeah, I’ve looked at Somers’ flutes. But after a bit of research, I though (key word, thought) that most said that Copley and Forbes were better. And, as I hinted before, I don’t really care much about all the “whistles and bells” on the flute, as long as it works well. So, I half ruled out Somers, because I figured I might be trading quality for fancy stuff. Although, I have not doubt they’re still good flutes.

Alright! It’s decided. Dave Copley came down to my local session, and I tried one of his delrin flutes (8-key) and it’s was wonderful! I really didn’t want to give it back at the end of the session. So as soon as I get the money, I’m going to get one.