Top of Coom pub burns down

Top of Coom pub burns down

Very sad news.

The Top of Coom pub was destroyed by fire last night (http://www.thejournal.ie/fire-destroys-top-of-coom-irelands-highest-pub-459336-May2012/ and http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=144195). Fortunately, nobody was harmed.

Apart from being Ireland’s highest pub (though Johnny Fox’s of Glencullen, south Co. Dublin has always disputed the claim) it was a notable music pub and, of course, provided the title of Conal Ó Gráda’s first album.

My heart goes out to the Creedon family.

Posted by .

Re: Top of Coom pub burns down

Must have been the Illuminati.

Any culprits would have been illuminated if they hung around once the blaze got going, I suppose.

But sad, nevertheless.

Terrible news, but at least all of the family are safe. I was there 2 years ago as part of Hammy’s Flute Gathering, and a whole bunch of the tutors and students from this year’s event had a great night’s music there less than 2 months ago. May it rise again.

Posted by .

We had two great sessions there this year et last year as part of the Flute Meeting, it’s a sad news, it’s a fantastic place !

Even if insurance covers the loss, this sounds like a great opportunity for a fund-raising event. (Consciousness-raising, too.) Can we assume one is already in the works?

Dia dhaoibh! Greetings all!

I’m very sorry to hear of this. I have had some wonderful times at Top of Coom, and more than just the music, the quality of the welcome from the Creedon family was second to none.

It is good news though to hear that the family is alright.

Please pass on my best wishes to the family.

All the best

Brian xx

"Fortunately, nobody was harmed."

At first glance, I thought you said unfortunately!!

But aside from that, I’m sorry to hear about that.

I’ve heard amazing stories about that place, including one of an after-hours singing session in complete darkness. I wish them the best of luck in recovering from this tragedy.