maids

maids

So the B parts of The Maid Behind the Bar and The Maids of Castlebar are very similar, and so are the titles of the tunes. Historically speaking, is one tune a variant/offshoot of the other? Is the a common ancestry? Can anyone here shed some light?

Re: maids

According to the Fiddler’s Companion, they are related:

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/MAID.htm#MAIDS_OF_CASTLEBAR

MAIDS OF CASTLEBAR, THE (Gearrchailiú Chaisleán an Bharraigh). AKA – “Girls of Castlebar.” Irish, Reel. D Major. Standard tuning. AB (Breathnach): AABB (Flaherty). “The Maid(s) of Castlebar” was recorded by Sligo fiddler Paddy Killoran in New York in the late 1930’s. This reel is not to be confused with O’Neill’s air “Maid of Castlebar [1].” Related tunes are “The Barmaid,” “The Green Mountain [2],” “Indy’s Favorite,” “Judy’s Reel,” and “The Maid Behind the Bar [1].” In fact, the ‘Castlebar’ title may be a corruption of “The Maid Behind the Bar,” or vice versa. See also the related “McFarley’s Reel.” Sources for notated versions: fiddler Tommy Potts (Ireland) [Breathnach]; fiddler Philip Duffy (b. 1966, London, now residing in Dublin) [Flaherty]. Breathnach (CRÉ I), 1963; No. 134, pg. 54. Flaherty (Trip to Sligo), 1990; pg. 27. Lyth (Bowing Styles in Irish Fiddle Playing, vol. 1), 1981; 70. Lochshore CDLDL 1215, Craob Rua - “The More that’s Said the Less the Better” (1992). Rounder CD 11661-7033-2, Natalie MacMaster – “My Roots are Showing” (2000).

X:1
T:Girls of Castlebar, The
T:Maids of Caslebar, The
R:reel
D:Frankie Gavin: Frankie Goes to Town
D:Shaskeen: 25th Silver Jubilee Collection
Z:id:hn-reel-597
Z:transcribed by henrik.norbeck@mailbox.swipnet.se
M:C|
L:1/8
K:D
dD~D2 EDCE|D2FA BAFA|dDcD BDAF|DEFD EDB,D|
FD~D2 EDB,E|D2FA BAFA|dgfe dBAG|F2EF D4:|
|:a2ga fd~d2|fdad fddf|gebe geef|gebe gece|
fdad bdad|fgec dBcA|Bcde fdec|dBAG FDD2:|

“variations”

|:dD~D2 EDB,A,|D2FA BAFA|d2cd BdAF|DEFD EDB,D|
~F3D EDEF|D2FA BAFA|dfec dBAF|GFEG FDD2:|
|:a2^ga fdde|fdad fddf|gebe geef|gebe geeg|
fd~d2 ~g3e|fdec dcBA|Bcde f2ef|dBAG FDD2:|

Thank you, Google.

Re: maids

The question - as far as an informed friend of mine (who definitely ought to know what he’s talking about) is concerned - is irrelevant, since the correct name for “The Maid Behind the Bar” was originally “The Green Mountain Reel”. The names of the two reels are therefore completely unrelated. As for similarities in the B parts of the tunes, it is quite a common occurrence, as many years of playing traditional tunes has taught me only too well. When making up new tunes, it’s only too easy to create a melody that others have used previously. The creator of the “new” tune may well be completely unaware that there is already a similar tune. Considering the vast number of Irish reels, it would be an unusual player who knew them all. I can think of many well-known examples of bits of tunes that have found their way accidentally into other tunes.