Hints to back "the cloone" C major reel

Hints to back "the cloone" C major reel

https://thesession.org/tunes/1644
is said to be a C major reel, but with my rather humble knowledge of backing I do not understand how the harmonies are correct… is this really Cmaj??
Any hints?

Re: Hints to back "the cloone" C major reel

The overall sound of the tune is major to my ear, with the principal chords being C and G, should you wish to have harmonic accompaniment. Taking a more theoretical approach, you could perhaps argue that it is in D Dorian and just happens to hang around the notes of the C major triad for much of the time; the principal chords, in that case, would be D minor and C, the Dmin taking the place of the G.

I think D dorian, it’s very similar to Jenny Picking Cockles.

It could be C major if you assume that the closing Ds are effectively part of a Gmaj chord, i.e. the sections are ending on the (dominant) fifth chord of G rather than the (tonic) home key of C. Lots of tunes don’t end their written music with a note from the chord that they are ‘in’ - Drowsy Maggie for instance ends the b section in D major which brings it back ready for a repeat of the a section starting in Emin again. So on the last play-through an extra E just gets added on to finish it. Similarly with Toss the Feathers in D, the final run of notes is more or less C major and a final D gets added on to bring it home at the end. So maybe the trick is to round off with an extra C the last time it’s played through. I agree with others that you could go for D dorian, but it spends awful lot of time around C!

like a lot of trad tunes this doesn’t have a specific key that the whole tune can relate to. clearly, the first three bars of each line are C major but it resolves on a D which hints at D dorian. to say that this tune is in C major or this tune is D dorian would be incorrect, it floats between them both.

Posted .

It doesn’t look like your question has really been answered. There’s a lot of garble, but most of it doesn’t apply. Enter an experienced backer. So, the tune definitely uses C major chords regardless of what key music theorists might apply to it. It’s your basic C, F, and G chords. Playing D dorian chords would kill the lighthearted feel of this tune. You could sub chords for a walk up or walk down, but don’t turn a major sounding tune into a minor sounding mess. It’s a really basic tune, so I’m not sure where the confusion is coming in. Private message me if you want more input.

Posted by .

This is a basic progression to the tune:
C │C │ C │ C G │

C │C │ Am│ C G ║

║ C │ C G │ C │ C │ C G │

C │C G │ Am G │ C G ║

Oops, delete the fourth bar of the second part of the tune, there should only be 8 bars in each part.

C │C │ C │ C G │

C │C │ Am│ C G ║

║ C │ C G │ C │ C G │

C │C G │ Am G │ C G ║

It’s not D dorian, it’s C major. My advice is to go back to the classic recording that people tend to get the tune off, and it’ll all make sense. If you haven’t already got the Molloy/Peoples/Brady album then you damn well should have if you like Irish music. Go to the second tune of track 10. Listen carefully to Brady’s backing. Your ears will answer your own question.

There’s your answer. People talk about the reliability of various posters on this site, but I have learned over the years, that when Doc Dow speaks, we should listen! 🙂

If we’re suggesting recordings, then I would say Patrick Ourceau’s version along with Brendan Dolan’s solid backing is also a good reference. It’s track 3 on the Live at Mona’s album.

Posted by .