Has The Session as a ‘project; reached the end of its natural lifespan?

Has The Session as a ‘project; reached the end of its natural lifespan?

When I first joined this site I used my actual name as my username and wrote a little bit of background. I found the background comments about tunes really interesting and I was able to locate a version of music for tunes I had heard played at a session or whatever that I liked. It was good.

Having used the site for several years, including adding a few tunes, recordings, sessions and comments myself I have increasingly recognised there is a small minority of members (and visitors) to this site who demonstrate what I would describe as unhealthy psychopathology. Unfortunately some of these guys appear to be able to run amok on the site without moderation.

One of the symptoms exhibited by these guys is the preference for the use ‘2nd person’ when commenting (i.e. addressing the comment as "You…" rather than "This tune…this recording…"
I am wondering whether we all fall into two main camps - those of us mainly interested in the music (that’s me) , and those of us pre-occupied with ‘personality’ (anybody care to own up to this one?)

I decided, reluctantly, to remove my personal background in ‘Description’ section of the Members section of this site and have adopted an alternative username.

I have recently seen comments on a different music website that The Session is quite a ‘toxic’ site. At first I thought this was a little extreme, but, on reflection, I increasingly understand this view. I toyed with the idea of abandoning The Session and setting up a different website myself somehow protected for people genuinely interested in music. Then I thought (a) this was probably what Jeremy was thinking a decade ago – and (b) that if I can free up this much time (unlikely) then maybe I should try to help with other existing projects - such as the translation of the excellent Fiddlers Companion to Wiki format.

Then I thought that maybe the people whose ephemeral outpourings (Whoops am I creating one myself now?) increasingly clog up and despoil this site will eventually discover (a) Twitter as the perfect instrument for their compulsion to be noticed or place their stamp against every possible part of the site - what I would describe as "dog and lamp post" behaviour (b) Facebook etc as the perfect instrument for electronic interactions with their pals etc. (c) Real friends - you know those people who you pass each day when you are rushing back to your computer. Then it hit me - they are probably exhibiting the same behaviour in those other domains as well. Help!

As for some of the ill-considered, opionated, or simply unpleasant and personal utterances that the site appears to allow the posting of - well I don’t think these should have a place anywhere

Some types of ‘toxic’ contribution seem to be from people who appear to think that they are performing some kind of ‘sentry’, ‘policing’ or ‘guardian’ role (either of The Session website, or, watch out, of the entire ‘Tradition’ - or both!). In this they appear to try to identify what fits and what doesn’t fit into some mind set of their own creation. They then try to ensure that their mind set defeats all other mind sets - like some giant virtual conker fight in which in which they intend there to be only one eventual winner (theirs, of course). This could be fun if it were just a knock-about discussion between friends but it seems to me more sinister than that with a kind of quasi religious aspect to it. Keeping faith with the True Tradition – eliminating heresy.

As for rigidity about tunes being ‘Irish’: How many of us are actually Irish - or part of the Irish diaspora? I’m not (well technically I’m 12.5% Irish but I’m 50% Scottish, plus some Welsh – so ‘celtic’ yes, Irish no, but to the casual observer I would appear English!) I don’t care – I am interested in the history of the Doherty family in Donegal but in the end I just like the tunes - and I like other kinds of music too. The boundaries we draw around music just make our own lives poorer.

I have long wondered about the incongruity of a group of people (us) trying to preserve some notion of an authentic old musical culture but doing this predominantly in individual isolation (from our bedrooms?) using technology such as iPads, laptops and mobile phones - while arguing about whether electronic keyboards can be part of ‘The Tradition’. And (!) publishing transcriptions in ABC before going to actual sessions and decrying the existence and use of sheet music. Weird. Mad.

I have begun to think that maybe in its current format The Session website project has run its course - reached the end of its natural life. It has been (and is) a fantastic resource but it is clearly in need of an overhaul -and we should not all sit back and expect Jeremy (to whom a thousand thank yous) to do all this for us.

Maybe the solution is to close the site to new business and leave it as a fantastic lookup resource - periodically taking the chance to clean out some of the stuff that is clogging it up?

Any thoughts? Careful now ;)

Re: Has The Session as a ‘project; reached the end of its natural lifespan?

Meta discussions - such as this one introduces - will probably be banned. But for what it’s worth, all forums tend to degrade over time. New and inexperienced people enter continually and tend to drown out more experienced viewpoints. More experienced people find it unenlightening to engage in the same discussions and tend to leave the forum.
In addition, the net is a perfect outlet for stupidity, anger, and aggression, with near perfect anonymity. A conversation can take an unpleasant turn very quickly.
Still, the free-for-all here can be fun. If it’s no fun for you, then hasta la vista. Don’t let the door hit your back on the way out.

Yeah! Wotteffah!

I was going to give a considered response , but I just read yhaalhouse’s helpful contribution.

Posted by .

Whew! Does anyone have a fan they can turn on?

The Yellow Brick Road and the Emerald City ~

Ella
Submitted on June 8th 2012 by Eachann mac Bodach.
https://thesession.org/tunes/11962

C: ~ Eachann mac Bodach ~ ? ~ Number of tunes submitted: 12 out of 30 self-composed

Here, here for the music. That before ego, eh? We live in hope. Maybe there’s just not enough room for some and they need to start up their own site? That’d be fine, more choice, more variety. It would be interesting to see how it went. However, you wouldn’t be the first, but, as I remember, I think the last few efforts went under. Maybe they were just too busy to keep things going? Maybe the onrush of the dissatisfied wasn’t quite what they were expecting. A lot of like minded folk doesn’t always suit the needs of someone wanting more space for themselves. They tend to crowd one another out. However, this and other sites are good places to draw attention to a new website. It might be easier on you having full control of what happens. Yes, Jeremy is lax on some things, but that is also part of the character of any site, it reflects the voice and inclinations of its maker.

You also wouldn’t be the first to jump ship, but there’s also always life preservers and vests and other flotation devices too. Toxicity is in the resultant reaction, not always clear where the fault lies, abuse of substance being one cause of toxicity, and allergic reaction too ~ any kind of reaction, like this rash…

You get all kinds of contributions and questions on here and it seems to appeal to all different types for different reasons. A lot of friends I know like to check out the latest controversy and sometimes reflect on it, sometimes chuckle about it. And the same questions and opinions are re-hashed just as they are on forums for other subjects.

Where’s the harm in that? If you want to be opinionated you might get flamed of course but most contributors are courteous and helpful.

No, the Session hasn’t run its course because it is quite a wide ranging site with some quality musicians who add comments at times. Look at the Celtic Guitar forum to see one that has run out of steam. Perhaps a pity and its still a great resource but you can tell there doesn’t seem a lot more to say on it now. Perhaps I should put a new thread on: There’s no such thing as Celtic Guitar?!

Posted by .

Eachann, I sense that your post is referring to my comments on another thread. I hope you don’t think I was singling you out to have a rant about. My comments were meant to be general and aimed at any tunes posters. It just so happened that unfortunately at the time of writing you posted a composition lol. Not a bad tune at all - I’ve seen much worse here anyway!

In perspective ~ This last week there have been at least half a dozen of the ‘self-composed’, including my little study…

Q/ "Has The Session as a ‘project; reached the end of its natural lifespan?"

A/ No, but I believe the members have a natural lifespan, and it looks like you have reached yours.

We are not permitted to have this conversation. <click>

Are we allowed to mention not being allowed to have the conversation? 🙂

Tsk. Some people never learn.

Mmmm! Psychopathology.
Mmmmm! Ephemeral outpourings.
Mmmmmm! Sheet music.

It’s down to people’s choice whether they decide to post comments and tunes and even perhaps learn from the website. People enjoy the website for many reasons. Those who don’t will not visit.

It’s not real life… it’s not a pint and a few tunes - but some people enjoy it and should always stay for those who do.

You get all kinds of contributions and questions on here and it seems to appeal to all different types for different reasons.

"A lot of friends I know like to check out the latest controversy and sometimes reflect on it, sometimes chuckle about it. And the same questions and opinions are re-hashed just as they are on forums for other subjects." -Thanks Rob.

I suspect many of us come for this and sometimes for a good discussion.

What conversation?

And get banned for two years in the process but I’m back and conforming.

i think it has been poluted by people who just use it as a venue to goof of. I am new to the sight, and i exepted the goofing of, don’t-stick-to-the-topic attitude of some members as normal. From what i hear, it did not use to be like this. correct?
I was reading a older discussion from about a week ago, and some of the members were talking negativly about irish music.
What i want to know is, if they dont like why are they even here? Seriously? one member went so far as to say he hated irish music, and he was only here to harrass people. C’mon, you have got to be kidding me!!

btw, what do you mean by "those of us pre-occupied with ‘personality’ "

Are we always as vicious in real life as our postings might suggest, or do we just express ourselves badly so that others feel hurt? Sometimes also, we misunderstand postings and take offence where none is meant. An offence is like a drink - it only works if accepted.
God bless all here.

Chris B.

PS: How can we express ourselves to forward our arguments without offending others though? Answers on a postcard please. CB.

I suspect that this discussion title is a perfect example of Betteridge’s Law Of Headlines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge’s_Law_of_Headlines

😉

But it’s true that The Session could certainly do with an overhaul …and that’s what I’m working on right now. I’ll post a separate thread on what changes you can expect from that.

Session Projects

The natives are growing restless.
;)

Posted by .

The headers aren’t headlines. They are typically someone wanting to discuss a topic, *often* posed as a question.

Posted by .

No. 😉

Some of us keep coming to the site because for every snarky thing we see, we see a couple of new things we didn’t know before. It is possible to be positive most of the time, and the unpleasant posters are far outnumbered by the good natured ones. The good still outweighs the bad, in my opinion. Good for you, Jeremy to take the criticism in a constructive manner.

The word "project" suggests something that will stop - which suggests a bias on the part of the OP. My best hope is that forums like this change constantly (just like a real session) as people come and go.

I belong to another music forum which has been around a bit longer than thesession.org, and it has always been effectively moderated. A few important features:

1 Real names must always be used.

2 A new member has to wait 48 hours before being allowed to post. This seems to ease out most trolls before they can get established.

3 If a member posts a new discussion there is usually a wait of 2 - 4 hours before it appears on the screen. There is probably some moderating going on. Responses during a discussion of course appear immediately.

4 There is a limit of 100 posts in any discussion, after which it is ‘archived’, although of course it can still be accessed and read at any time.

5 Any member can edit or even delete any of their own posts in any discussion that hasn’t yet been archived. This is great for correcting typos, adding a further thought or two, or just dealing with some horrendous gaffe you’ve just perpetrated!

6 There is a separate section for advertising or selling.

7 A member may set up their personal blog.

8 Posts and blogs may include photos, but not videos or audio, for bandwidth reasons, but links to audio and video are encouraged.

That’s a pretty good recipe for a forum. The only bit that could cause problems is 5, unlimited editing deletion. I think some editing capacity is essential, but I’ve seen unlimited facilities cause problems where someone deletes or completely changes their post after others have responded to it, and the thread then make no sense to people looking at it afterwards.

I think the neatest solution I’ve seen is to not allow deletion, but allow unlimited editing, with the system adding a time/date stamped ‘reason for editing’ line.

A bit of richer text or HTML would be nice too - I think there would be a lot less arguements if we could put words in italics or underline to give them a little emphasis, without having to SHOUT.

Oh yes, I should have edited in my last post that the forum I was referring to is violinist.com, based in California.

And "Oh yes" was not an answer to the OP’s (rhetorical) question.

Maybe the Session has reached the end of its natural lifespan, has died and now we are experiencing a life after death Trad Irish session situation. Does anyone feel like they have died and gone to heaven (or hell)? I must say death crept up quietly and painlessly!
Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon where the people queuing up for heaven are being handed harps and the people off to hell are being given (squeeze)boxes.
If this is the post life Sessio.org, which instrument do you have? I plainly will have a box.

Hmm, I think I recognise a couple of faces in that cartoon.

"New and inexperienced people enter continually and tend to drown out more experienced viewpoints. More experienced people find it unenlightening to engage in the same discussions and tend to leave the forum."
Thank you David, I know this feeling quite well by now after reading similar comments over and over repeatedly about the instrument I play because those new and inexperienced people don’t think to search the discussions first before posting any comments or questions about my instrument.
It has gotten to the point where most of the time I just read what I see on the computer screen and don’t bother to respond because I am merely repeating something which I have said many times already in previous discussions.
To quote Lawrence (Yogi) Berra, it is "Deja vu all over again."

Laurence

Grand Opening?

This is a topic commenting on comments. Something which hasn’t been allowed previously. Perhaps the remodel is ahead of schedule.
😏

Posted by .

I was wondering this myself until those wonderful debates over tone quality popped up. Saved me from some really boring days at the office, great fun! I’ve been a lurker here for years and one of the things I like about this forum is watching unknowlegeable, egotistical folk get quickly put in their place. I like the honesty. I like that people can get away with speaking their minds, and not held down to some pc, one love crap. It seems that some of the regular members who have been suspended from time to time, are sometimes people who care the most, and are the most invested in the music. I love this site.

While there are lots of ways this site can be technically improved I find the commentary here rather refreshing. Zealous monitors can really suck the life out of a site. I know of one I’ve left because it was so lily white the content was suspect.

Sometimes you need to just read things for a while to discover what everyone’s about. There is lots of statement here that is hyperbole, in jokes or slagging but not meant very seriously. Some folks can’t read it that way and hence the (or one of the) problem(s). I’ve been stomped by some, including Llig of sainted memory, but if I’ve held up my end of things and responded calmly I’ve always been treated with respect. I think a serious problem, at least here in America, is the tendency to avoid direct statements. I’m not sure why many of us are uncomfortable with them, but we are. I do know that being direct kept me from being invited to many meetings during my working years, and I saw that as a plus 🙂

I was one who commented on your music mentioned above. I was not complimentary. If I upset you I apologize for that. I do not apologize for my opinion though. I didn’t like the work. I can give you chapter and verse on my background explaining why I think my opinion is a good one, but that is not important. What is important is that it is only my opinion. Feel free to grumble about it or ignore it as you wish. Folks have to start somewhere with composing, and I wish you well with that. I also share the opinion that this is really not the right forum for posting original pieces. That’s why none of mine are here.

That said though, I think there is much to learn from these sometimes cantankerous folks. It is a bit like an addiction to check things out regularly. I hope you’ll hang around and get to understand some of the folks a bit more. Read the comments recently on microphone suggestions to see how truly helpful folks can be. Or check out the metamorphosis of fiddlelearner from his first posts to now.

i would rather have too little moderation than too much. I am perfectly capable of dealing with the fact that there are people in the world who have opinions that do not mesh with mine. Once I realize that nothing I say will change their minds, I move on.

"Once I realize that nothing I say will change their minds, I move on"

I would have thought the better moment to move on is when you realise that nothing that they will say will make you change your mind.

Has the thread entitled: "Has The Session as a ‘project; reached the end of its natural lifespan?" reached the end of its natural lifespan?

Seems like it.

No way has this reached the end of it’s ‘natural’ or do you mean useful life? I use it frequently and so do many others as a great resource - to check out recordings and have a chuckle every now and again reading posts, or indeed learn or thing or two about music and the instruments we play. Of course barbed posts are out of place but I suggest they reflect badly on the individually posting - you know who you are! This is one of the best forums on the net and long may it continue - and of course it will evolve and mutate just like life itself really.

English is not my first language so please forgive any slips and maybe I don’t fully understand everything in the original post. It seems maybe a bit harsh, but I can fully relate to some of the things raised. Thesession.org is a wonderful, wonderful resource – I use it ALL THE TIME to look up tunes that I hear on recordings, at sessions, YouTube etc. So as a tune bank – it’s second to none. As a community – not so much. I don’t engage in discussions here much for some of the reasons stated above. Why – because people (or some at least – but they seem the loudest) are very opinionated towards what is right and what is wrong. People submitting self composed tunes are told off. Enquiries from bodhran players are frowned upon because it is not a “real” instrument, is it (look up some of the demeaning comments, it’s quite unbelievable). Using sheet music is a sin – in fact learning a tune in any other way than by listening is just plain wrong. All tunes should be in your head – never on paper etc. And so on, and so on, and so on. Some people seem to be demeaning to others simply because they can. I have never understood that. Some people here are obviously experienced and qualified on the subject, which is great. Input from those people is wonderful, don’t get me wrong. But this is in my opinion not an elitist site for the blessed few but a site comprised mainly of amateurs who simply love the music and come to get and share music with like-minded peers. There is no mathematical right and wrong in music. If there was music would sound the same every time you hear it. That’s not even the case for classical music. But for some people here it seems so. I find this genre so liberating – so laid back in some sense (obviously this is me talking on my playing level only). If you make a mistake whilst playing – it doesn’t matter. Just play on. Likewise, I love the informal setting of a session. Trying to impose a strict set of right and wrongs on that is so conflicting or contradictory towards the very essence of it.

Nah, this is site is great because I can have a moan about all the bodhrans, out of time accompanists, and noodlers, whereas at real sessions I usually have to suck it and content myself with scowling across the room. 😉

By the way, bayswater, the key to understanding this community is never take too seriously anything anyone ever says.

The only serious business on this forum is the collection of hot water bottles.

It’s on again, off again, on again …

Posted by .

yaalhouse, sometimes during a good Tuesday night session I do indeed feel I have died and gone to heaven!

Maybe occasionally other times but I wouldn’t discuss them on any forum!!

Posted by .

"The only serious business on this forum is the collection of hot water bottles."

Err… wig glue???

And, yes, bayswater don’t see the comments as too serious. I suspect almost all of those folks sounding so nasty are very willing to be helpful and positive in a session when they know the folks there are truly interested in the music.

(your english is just fine by the way. I wish I could do as well in any other language…)

I had a very impressive collection of hot water bottles, but unfortunately I traded them for a fiddle. What was I thinking?

That’s crazy. Doesn’t all the hot water leak out of the f-holes?

If you blew up a hot water bottle, I’m sure it would turn it into a kind of spherical bodhran, and with it being spherical you could have at least four people hitting it at any one time…
You could also tune it with the drink you put inside it…

Is she playing that with what I think she is?

I’ve yet to see a bodhranist using one of those.

Looks like she’s enjoying herself anyway…

I’m glad to hear that Jeremy is thinking of overhauling this site.

It has become very outdated, large and unwieldy, perhaps I have too?

I’d love to be able to arrange my tune list for instance, into tunes I’m currently working on, and others I’m not.

It would be a big job to update this site, I imagine. Perhaps we should all make an effort to donate a little cash to help in out in thie endeavour?

To be honest, I like it the way it is, warts and all. A bit like a real session and session pub. Not flashy, just quite simple at first glance, with a few jokers and loudmouths (maybe including yours truly in the past), but with a lot of grit and plenty of depth. That said any improvements should likely be of a technical nature, to improve ease of navigation and searching etc, but the basic concept of this site is fine and has stood the test of time for…what? 11 years and 9 days? Not bad at all, well done Jeremy.

As another newcomer I can sympathise with bayswater’s comments above, posted yesterday, but my view is that any negatives are best shrugged off or taken with a pinch of salt. In one of first discussions I ever read, I recall someone advocating a thick skin and I don’t think they were discussing bodhrans.

The site is an impressive resource, the tunes, the discussions and all. Although an experienced musician, I only got into this type of music recently. The session.org has been the key to working out "what’s what" at my local session, a major benefit that’s out in the ‘real world’ not online. Regarding the self-appointed ‘sentries’ or ‘guardians’ - yes this is a familiar description but it is true of every forum I’ve ever read, not only music ones either! And at least there’s some laugh-out-loud jokes too 🙂 For me the ‘sentries’ are just part of the deal, far outweighed by the positives.

The value of the site is directly connected to everyone’s input and Jeremy’s most of all, hence it’s good to be reminded of the significance of that donation button! Well said, InfernalTootler (and great tunelist idea too)

The quick answer to the topic question is "No".

Thank you Jeremy for the link to Betteridge’s Law Of Headlines.
I learned something new today from this site, which is further
evidence to me that this site is alive and well.

I am interested in the new plans for the website, but please
don’t fix what is not broken. For example, I have always enjoyed the
discussion section, for the wisdom and the folly.
I’m with many other posters for this discussion, less is more, when it
comes to moderation of postings.

The title of this discussion reminded me of another
thing, that I believe does actually have a lifespan.
That is a session itself. Sessions are born. They go through a
toddler stage. They go to school. They graduate. They work for a long time.
Then they get old, sickly, and die.
I’m not sure what stage of life my main current session is in.
Sometimes it gets a nasty cold and fights it off.
It’s never been on life support. I think it’s a workhorse that may last many
more years. I’ll just have to stick around to see what happens.

Nice analogy. Also sometimes they die then get reincarnated.

Betteridge’s Law Of Headlines has its origins in the ancient Irish Oral Tradition

Sean Williams, in the book Focus: Irish Traditional Music (2009) describes it as a classic narrative device from oral tradition for stories to begin with a question followed by the answer in the form of a story. The Táin Bó Cuailnge is full of it (as are many comments posted to this site ;) )

Is it time for a struggle for independence from The Session?

In a bit of a spin-off from Edgar Bolton’s recent discussion, "Has The Session as a ‘project; reached the end of its natural lifespan?"

https://thesession.org/discussions/30018

Do we think it time that we establish our independence from the tyranny of The Session and establish a free collective of independent ITM colonies? The American Session? The Session - Europe? The Session - UK?

Perhaps instead of a disaggregation, an amalgamation with independent and integrated charters to form a more perfect union of ITM?

Re: Is it time for a struggle for independence from The Session?

As some overly large sessions do: concentric circles around a core of the best.

Posted .

No - and I’ve got my fingers crossed that jeremy doesn’t wake
up one day and say "I’ve had enough, I’m taking it down"

I think it’s time to stop adding threads like these.

i agree with Hup and NewToltAll.
Be grateful for what you have got and thank Jeremy for giving it to you. I know it is not perfect, but there is the saying: beggars can’t be choosy 8)

Jeeez, it’s a website people! If you want ‘independence’ just don’t log on. Go set up your own site if you want to. Who’s stopping you? WTF.

Perhaps if you have nothing of value to contribute and no genuine question that you want answered, you might be more at home in the swamps and backwaters of Youtube.

Posted by .

Never thought of it before reading Hup’s excellent and short post, but this site is now part of the tradition so it would seem as strange to change it as to bolt on extra sections to all our beloved old tunes.

PS does this count as a meta-meta-comment?

As a gesture of Independence, I suggest that a Bodhran Sea Party be organised by the man himself whereby all of the said instruments be gathered and flung into the Firth of Forth.

We in the Republic (of London) have always enjoyed independence and world-wide citizen-ship all at the same time. The provincials can revolt as they like.

It’ time to update this place, the forum is so clunky, i does not even have spell check for god sake

@palethinboy I think you’re due for a new keyboard as well — that one’s got some letters missing.

Posted by .

Clunky’s good in this over slick age…

anyone seen the off button ?

Getting a life is one way of doing it (or so I’ve been told)

Spell check???? Buy a dictionary! How about independence from nannying sites that do all your basic, everyday groundwork for you whether you want them to or not, and underline what they consider to be your mistakes?
There’s nothing wrong with the website as far as I’m concerned, and it covers a lot of ground that others don’t - e.g. "the dots" for those of us who require more than a quick keyboard-generated scamper through a tune and also ABC for those who prefer that. I have wasted a lot of time trying to track down written music elsewhere, and I always come back here.
The discussions may get out of hand from time to time, but that is hardly Jeremy’s fault, and a great many genuine questions receive a lot of good, valuable input.
I completely agree with Hup - what he says, and in spades and lorryloads.

The website doesn’t need a spell check. People need to learn to spell!

I’ve heard you can wait up to 16 years to be denied a visa to leave The Session. If you still want one after 16 years, it’s straight to thesession.org/room101

In the words of the old song

"you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."

Sorry - that should be "dikshnry".

Humbug - I like the place just as it is; poor spelling, poor grammer, flaming trolls and all - and losing it’s international flavor would be the worst thing possible. The LAST thing I want to hear are opinions about Irish music exclusively from other Americans.

You mean there are some Americans here on this forum?!

yep…we’re trying to bring the place down from the inside. We’re aiming to have you drinking a Coke at McDonalds in a pair of Levis while talking about who’s going to win Dancing with the Stars.

And I think spell check would be a nice enhancement. Herself is an English teacher who constantly derides my spelling while pointing out that my absolute lack of culture and poetic ability stems from my engineering school background- obviously no stteping in the arts and literature.

And yhaalhouse, without getting to particular, I am from Chicago. But does that count?

steeping in the arts

like I said spell check!

OK, enough with the thumbs up my nose; I can do that myself. Sorry to have started/restarted the one that just doesn’t want to quit.

BTW- I remember having to be my own spellcheck, had a boss that always used to pinch me for it, and my dictionary’s binding still managed to wear out in only 30yrs.

So if we spell check, whose version of English do we check against? (Or is that cheque against?) (Sorry, couldn’t resist the temptation to "Yank" on your chains!)
😉