Isle of Aigas - fiddle recording

Isle of Aigas - fiddle recording

Does anyone have a link or reference to a recording of this air played on fiddle? I can only find harp recordings.

thanks

Re: Isle of Aigas - fiddle recording

I’d have thought Duncan Chisholm would be the guy to have either recorded it, or to play it at least. Being a very local tune for him.

https://thesession.org/recordings/display/3828

Listed as "Illean Aigh" track 9? Difficult to say as I’m remote from my sounds at the moment. illean Aigh could be it. I’d render Isle of Aigas into scots gaelic as, Eillean á Aigas. Could be.

You could always e-mail through his site and ask. Like I say, this is very much his specialty as he has a huge interest in the music of this area, his back yard.

http://www.duncanchisholm.co.uk/

"Illean Aigh"

A waulking song, extant in Cape Breton, origins thought to be in Lewis.

Wrong track, probably.

Isle of Aigas apparently composed by Corrina Hewat.

Nope - arranged by Corrina, and from the Simon Fraser collection.

The "Isle of Aigas" is in Strathglass, so I’d e-mail Duncan as he’s bound to know something about the tune.

Your no doubt right re the illean Aigh angle though Weegie.

Simon Fraser: "No. 214 was communicated by Alexander Leslie, Esq., formerly mentioned; on the copy he gave the editor the name was not written, but he knows it to be either the Isle or Fall of Aigas, which lie adjacent, and beautifully situated in the bosom of the river Beauly, in Inverness-shire".

I would go some way to see a river with bosoms.

its on Fiddlers Bid ‘Hamnataing’ CD

Aye, but it’s played on the clarsach.

Thanks all. I did find the Fiddlers’ Bid version, and somehow assumed it would be fiddle, but….!

It’s not a waulking song.

I’ve written to Duncan, so will see what comes of that.

cheers.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.