Bursaries for young musicians in Ireland

Bursaries for young musicians in Ireland

Recently announced ‘The RAAP/RTÉ Breakthrough Bursary 2012 is a series of bursaries awarded to emerging musical performers across a wide range of genres. RTÉ and RAAP want to help emerging artists by giving them the chance to break through to the next level of their musical career. A total bursary of €24,500 will be available to the winning entries. This will be broken down into four categories with €5,000 being awarded to each of the winners. In addition, each of the nine runner-up acts will receive a bursary of €500.’

One of the four genres is traditional music.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/breakthrough/

Posted by .

Re: Bursaries for young musicians in Ireland

Is there no limit to the amount of we can coddle the entitled millenials?

‘Is there no limit to the amount of we can coddle the entitled millenials?’

Is there no limit to posters’ illiteracy?

What’s your point, B Rad?

Posted by .

auto correct worked it’s magic once again… It was supposed to read, "Is there no limit to the amount we can coddle the entitled millennials" The point is self contained and fairly self explanatory.

B Rad, a grant of €24,500 to nine young individuals is hardly coddling anybody!

Posted by .

Excuse my being gruff on the topic, your right - it’s a nice gesture. My knee jerk reaction was due to the following rational: What could a young traditional player would really do with €24,500 that would be better than a homeless pregnant woman or an orphan etc especially when most young musicians are still being footed by their families at least partially. I apologize I was heavy handed without a proper explaination

sp explanation

‘Excuse my being gruff on the topic, your right - it’s a nice gesture. My knee jerk reaction was due to the following rational: What could a young traditional player would really do with €24,500 that would be better than a homeless pregnant woman or an orphan etc especially when most young musicians are still being footed by their families at least partially. I apologize I was heavy handed without a proper explaination.’

Well, apart from being Billy Goat Gruff, you clearly can’t read. The maximum any musician will receive in any of the four musical categories (of which only one is traditional music) is €5,000.

Posted by .

whether it’s €5,000 or €24,500 it still could be better spent on the needy.

Thanks for completely hijacking this thread, B Rad.

Posted by .

So would you be happier if the award was for "needier young musicians in Ireland" ?

Posted by .

no probs - now I’ll invoke rule #25.

musicians have needs….!

i no longer cut my hair as the money i use could be better soend on the needy

It seems to me that there are already programs in place to help the Orphaned Pregnant Needys of the World. If they want the money, they can learn an instrument.
I want to know if it is limited to a specific geographic location or can those aspiring Japanese Trad players put in for it.

another step in the classical-ization of traditional irish music. more over-wrought contests for overtrained so-called "folk musicians" with more technique than is good for them—and the winners will have been training classically since the cradle, bet on it…..this phenom (it is not limited to this contest) is imho a sign that the music has entered a decadent phase….yes, it sounds grumpy. but this is the opposite of what the music is about….horrid, horrid.

I agree with ceemonster.

…anything for old musicians….?