Darach de Brun - RIP

Darach de Brun - RIP

Shocking news arrived from Dublin just now of the sudden death earlier today of piper, whistleplayer and composer Darach de Brun.

Posted .

Re: Darach de Brun - RIP

That’s sad news indeed :-(

I’m really shocked and saddened to hear this tragic news, "Prof". I’d met up with Darach at 2 of the last 3 Willie Clancy weeks - missed him last year, but was going to email him next week to arrange to meet up again. A great musician, composer, and character, who’ll be greatly missed in Irish music, and a tragedy for all of his family. My condolences to them, and may he rest in peace.

Posted by .

He had a house in Miltown and was around most summers. As you say, a real shock.

Posted .

Damn! Sorry Prof. I too am shocked. He’d only just recently gotten a new set of pipes, well, relatively recently, a lovely low set, and I was so looking forward, hoping, that we’d manage to meet up again and share stories and tunes and laughter and concerns. I’d learned a few of his comps off of him, and, loving such characters, we got on well, including after connecting again here via this site, exchanging some emails and he being one of the dozen or so on site here who did know me by my real-space name. But it has been years. Yes, a shock, sad. My condolences to his family…

To repeat Kenny ~ "A great musician, composer, and character, who’ll be greatly missed"… Thanks for the time and the tunes Daruch, much appreciated…

Re: Darach de Brun

Wasn’t there a recording in the process?

Some years ago he mentioned a cycle of tunes he’d composed around the life of a beehive that was going to be recorded.

Posted .

Just heard,I’ll have to find out the funeral arrangements.
Only met him a few weeks ago on the street.
Think I’ll be knocking out the Man of Aran this week…

I bought the CD version of the Oisin LP mentioned in thread 505. It’s got Darach playing the Maple Leaf and the Man of Arran. Highly recommended.

Posted by .

Sad news, never met him but had some email contact with him and he seemed a nice fellow. Man of Aran’s a great tune. He told me he had over 100 tunes, hopefully someone will publish them in his memory.

Posted .

Sad news indeed. I never met Darach in person, but I have gotten to know him on line. He was telling me just last week about the CD he planned to record of his original tunes—pity that will never be. The Maple Leaf and Man of Erin have been favorites of mine ever since I heard them years ago on the Oisin recording, Over the Moor to Maggie. I can’t remember a month going by at our local without someone starting one or both of those tunes. R.I.P.

Just to let you know that Darach will be brought to Holy Family Church, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin, at 11:00 AM on Thursday 28th. June 2012. I have known and played with Darach as a good friend for over 20years and as part of Drantán, with Gerry & Liam Óg. We will sorely miss him. He was looking forward to us playing at the Marymass Folk Festival, Irvine, Scotland, in August, and to meeting the many friends we had come to know in Irvine and who had welcomed us into their hearts and homes. Liam.R.I.P.
P.S. Re. Beehive Suite tunes, never say never…

Thanks for a bit of hope on the recording Liam.

I’m very, very saddened to hear about this. My condolences to Darach’s family.

Posted by .

Remembering the all too few meetings and sessions I had with Darach, who departed from us 7 years ago today.
I posted an audio recording of him from 1980 on "Youtube" here :
https://youtu.be/hmtD871gq88

Posted by .