Weird, silly bodhran question.

Weird, silly bodhran question.

I have a cheap Pakistani bodhran that I am using as a light fixture. Probably the best use for this poor excuse for an instrument.

Now the silly question. Is there any way to lighten the skin? The skin doesn’t let enough light through and I’d like to clarify it a bit. Using a brighter bulb isn’t an option. I don’t care if the bodhran becomes unplayable, because it already is. I just don’t want to destroy the skin.
I’ve considered bleach, but don’t know what that would do to the skin.
Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Re: Weird, silly bodhran question.

this displays proper usage of the bodhran

Posted .

Sandpaper on the inner surface?

oil?

"this displays proper usage of the bodhran"

Too true. Such is the way that most people think of a bodhran because so many don’t play it well. That’s what I like about living in Kentucky, because there’s enough people here that know and like ITM, but only the ones that are good at it, play it, and actually come to the session (like, the only one in probably about a 50 mile radius, hints my usage of "the" instead of local). So, we don’t have a problem with badly played instruments. And I’ve only seen one bodhran player around here, and she’s good.

"oil?"

I don’t play bodhran, but judging by what I’ve seen with flutes, oil makes the wood (or bamboo for that matter) darker.

I was just thinking when you get oil on paper it makes it translucent, maybe it applies to drum heads too?

Eat potato chips and then gently rub your fingers over the bodhran. Or use a penknife.

Yes, oil or Dubbin will increase the transparency - especially if it is highly flammable.

Posted by .

Sandpaper. Manually or sanding disc.

Hot bulb, dry skin tightening up - kapow! ๐Ÿ˜€

Don’t use bleach, don’t use oil or anything flammable, though as gam has confirmed it does tend to increase the translucency… I was thinking what I’ve seen Gran Cassa has just added. However, skin used as a shade has a long history, some of it gruesome.

Your best bet, if serious, would be to contact a company that makes light shades, they would suggest the best treatment for both translucence and safety. There are other ‘wetting’ treatments that might be perfect for your end, though sanding can be part of that process too ~ sanding and followed by some kind of clear synthetic finish finish.

If serious, I suspect you mean on the ‘side’ of the light source… I like the idea, for view and as diffused light, a bit of a laugh too.

Be careful, if it heats up the skin, aside from what Steve has said, it might start smelling of the usual skin treatments in Pakistan, of which I won’t go into great detail on… ๐Ÿ˜€

You can still buy parchment lamp-shades. It’s not such a daft idea to use a bodhran.

Posted by .

I’ve got a Pakistani bodhran. It’s not bad at all. Certainly good value for money, taken it out for gigs for years.

Gee, I miss Llig.

A couple of people asked for photos, so I uploaded a couple to my old photobucket account.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i100/CleverName3404/IMG_0137.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i100/CleverName3404/IMG_0136.jpg

I actually have a much nicer Pakistani bodhran that I play regularly and really like, this one however I bought for $25. Way too much for a bodhran of this quality, but a good deal for a lampshade.
I’m using compact florescent bulbs so it won’t get "too" hot.
I’ll try the sandpaper method, since I don’t care if it’s playable, I can sand it wafer thin.
Thanks for the ideas.

Oil will do the job, if you add a teaspoon of oil of cloves to a 100 ml bottle of baby oil, you have it fungus protected as well.
Use it as a fungus repellant on any leather, between the toes etc.
That will be $10.00 thank you.

I love it, walking around with the strong scent of cloves rising from the ground…

That’s what I was thinking of gam, parchment shades. There’s probably something of that process, making parchment, that you could apply to the skin of this cheap bodhran?

I’e only just seen the pictures. I think you need vents, as that is a bit too tight and closed up for my liking, and no fire marshall would let it pass…

Have you thought of a production run?

You could buy a new Porsche!

All the best

Peter Jenkins

Thanks guys.
Mcknowall: I had considered some kind of scented oil. The gentle heat of the CF bulbs could waft a pleasant aroma while the oil lightens and protects the skin. Should the baby oil be made from organic babies? ๐Ÿ™‚
Ceolachan: I plan on dropping it another inch or two for the final installation. That’ll give me more reflected light from the ceiling and keep the fire marshall out of my music room.

Feeling nostalgic.

I’ll make a shoehorn outta your shin
I’ll make a lampshade of durable skin…
And oh, don’t you know that I’m always feelin’ able
When I’m sittin’ home and I’m carving out your navel
(I’m just a sittin’ here carving out your navel)

When will I realize that this skin I’m in
Hey! It isn’t mine
And when will the kill be too much meat for me to hide?
Hey, I could really use a couple of hands
To complete one hell of a plant stand
Oh, and don’t you know that I’m caught here in the middle
Making rib cages into coffee tables?
I’m just makin’ em into coffee tables…