Orkney weeknight sessions ?

Orkney weeknight sessions ?

I always reckon it’s worth asking, as well as looking stuff up. I’m just trying to plan ahead; we’re going up to Orkney for 6 days next month, and the two sessions listed are both on a Sunday.
Does something happen on a weeknight that you’re keeping quiet about, or will myself and partner be wasting our time negotiating instruments onto planes for the trip ? We won’t get there till Monday…..

Re: Orkney weeknight sessions ?

Hi Pete

There is a session in the Reel in Kirkwall on Saturdays.

I believe there is a session in the Ferry Inn in Stromness, but I am not sure of the day.

Thats the best name for a pub! ; The Reel. 🙂

I’ve just discovered we’re flying on Easyjet - I don’t think I’ll even bother turning up with my bouzouki !
Also, we don’t yet have our itinery - it’s a package thing so we’re being bussed about here and there. We shall see. It’s easier for "Er Indoors, flutes and whistles are much easier to manage.

Thank you for that info; I have yet to make up my mind. Still waiting for the trip schedule.

I went to the Reel on the Saturday night and also the Ferry Inn, when I was there a couple of years ago. Can’t remember which night the Ferry was; probably Tuesday +/- 1 day. The session at the Reel was by far the better of the two.

Pete - I put a very similar request on Mudcat before my own trip to Orkney in May. The thread is here: http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=144746&messages=30

I also did see a flyer about a session in Harray, I think on Tues or Wed. the Reel might know.

Shame you only have 6 days, there is so much to see. Beautiful part of the world. Have a great time. And if you do come across any other sessions, would love to know, as I plan to return next year.