Tunes in this set?

Re: Tunes in this set?

Go down to the comments, click "see all" and read them,

Posted by .

Writes a book about Irish trad music but doesn’t recognise the Shaskeen Reel?
Interesting…

Danny - He says he doesn’t know ‘what the tunes are’ - which, unless we pay too much heed to Lewis Carroll’s Humpty Dumpty, equates to not knowing their names, or what they are called. That doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t recognise them.

As for the book, the theory seems basically sound. It may not be the ultimate authorised work on the subject (and neither does it claim to be such), but it will answer a few questions for backers that are starting out. All he is doing is being sharing his knowledge.

…or lack thereof.
Anyway, moving swiftly on to more interesting threads….

… which are, where?

"…or lack thereof."

You can’t really share a lack of knowledge, since you would have to somehow cancel some of the existing knowledge of others. The writer’s knowledge may be limited but, but I know of no-one whose knowledge is not limited.

‘You can’t really share a lack of knowledge, since you would have to somehow cancel some of the existing knowledge of others. The writer’s knowledge may be limited but, but I know of no-one whose knowledge is not limited.’

Of course you can. I know absolutely nothing about paleontology and recently met someone whose ignorance was equivalent to mine. We spent a gripping thirty seconds or so recognizing that our ‘knowledge’ was more than lacking.

Posted by .

Fair point, Scutcher. But neither you nor your fellow non-paleontologist did any harm to the other in sharing that ignorance. Had you (for argument’s sake) had a little knowledge of the subject, you could have passed that knowledge on to your ignorant friend, thus making them a little more knowledgeable; the more ignorant of the two could not have transferred their ignorance to the more knowledgeable.