Dave Shapiro = Brilliant

Dave Shapiro = Brilliant

I just bought my Shapiro yesterday after months of waiting for it to be made, and I must say it was certainly worth the wait! (and money). It’s a very well-made instrument with great sound and volume. If anyone is looking for a mandolin (I think he makes bouzoukis and stuff like that too) then I highly recommend getting a Shapiro.

Re: Dave Shapiro = Brilliant

. Glad to hear your happy Patrick, Dave is a dedicated Luthier and hes been at it a long time starting out in adverse circumstances hes really come out on top. Go Dave!
Not only that Dave is a seriously good musician fluent on at least 3 instruments, a great craic, great company and genuine guy.

Dave is one of those rare individuals who is totally without malice. He is a lovely man. Glad that he’s my neighbor.

yeah! A Dave Shapiro Appreciation thread! πŸ™‚ I couldnt agree with you more David.

beautiful instruments, any idea of a price on his most basic model?

Posted by .

Re: Dave Shapiro’s Website

Thanks dunnp ~ that’s the least we can do… πŸ™‚

"fluent on at least 3 instruments"

Make that 5 - that I know of, anyway.

I paid €1,100 for it from Tom Cussen inc/ case and strings, etc. It was a long wait because his instruments are in high demand so be prepared to wait. It’s so worth it though!

Dave was saying hes going to make a budget set with no purfling and multi layered lacquer etc for about 800 . He was laughing saying its like putting them up for adoption! he puts so many hours into lacquer and fine detail but that often people would be happy with the simple unadorned instrument otherwise they will be the same woods etc. His standard model about a grand and the delux version about 1300 though Im not sure about the difference between standard and de lux!

You’re bang on Patrick. I got one last year - American Redwood front and Indian Redwood back and sides. Gorgeous instrument, couldn’t recommend it highly enough.
He even put a custom salmon (fish not the color) inlay on it for me!

Enda

If there was a like button i would like this post. πŸ™‚

I bought one of his mandolins in miltown thisn year at willy clancy and its the nicest mandolin ive ever played. Im definitely going to order a bouzouki off him. Id recommend his mandolins to anyone, worth every penny, Thanks Dave Shapiro.

any idea how to contact dave about a zouk? his website isn’t working