Name of a tune : first part

Name of a tune : first part

Hello guys

I would request your help for the name of this tune at the begining of the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW_nnzoNsfo&feature=fvwrel

The corrs always called it "haste to the wedding part 1" -_-’ which really gets on my nerves, I would appreciate if they could just put a correct name for the correct tune.

If someone could enlight the darkness for me this would be fantastic, I’ve been looking for the name of the tune for ages but nobody could ever helped me figure out this name !

Thanks a lot and cheers !

Re: Name of a tune : first part

https://thesession.org/tunes/5880
The first tune is known in Ireland as "Moran’s Return" - see link above, but in Scotland as a song-air "To Daunton Me". It’s debateable which came first.
After 3m36s in the video, they play the jig "Haste To The Wedding".
The "Part 1" and "Part 2" in the video title are utterly meaningless.

Posted by .

Incidentally - "To Daunton Me" - in James Oswald’s Collection published in 1740, has variations which stretch the original tune to 8 parts.

Posted by .

And this is why I love the session - you guys are encyclopedia of ITM !!! Thanks a million Kenny ! :)

Who was Moran and when did he return?

The Scottish title goes back to around 1700 - it was a bawdy song, "An old man shall never daunt on me", before the Jacobites got hold of it (presumably it marks the revolt of 1715, but at any rate pre-1745).

According to a discussion on the "Mudcat Cafe" site :
"Printed in P. W. Joyce, Old Irish Folk Music and Songs, 1909: No. 4, p. 5. "Written down from singers about 1844."
It was recorded as "Moran’s Return" by Nollaig ni Chathasaigh and Arty McGlynn on their "Lead The Knave" recording, and also by "The Doon Ceili Band" who gave it the older title "To Daunton Me".
Who was Moran ? - possibly a Major, as there is a reel by that name, but it could be 2 different Morans.

Posted by .

Did Joyce give any clue as to what the song text was about?

One the face of it, its origin does *not* look "debatable" at all - there are many versions of both tune and text from Scotland throughout the 18th century and no record of it from Ireland before the 1840s. And the Scottish song was so popular and much-reprinted that it must have been widely circulated in Ireland before that.

But if Joyce’s text has something about it giving internal evidence of an older origin, maybe not. Doesn’t seem likely, though - it’s such a good tune that surely it would have caught on for multiple uses in Ireland itself if it had originated there before 1700, and there should be some record of the fact.

Joyce doesn’t give any further comment or specifics, or any words for that matter.

Posted .

From a very simplified version of the jig ‘Haste to the Wedding’ played over and over, incorporation a so called drum solo consisting of two drummers doing a LRLRLRLRLRLRL that sounded like bibity, bibity,bibity bibity bibity etc etc, O Good Lord Protect Us.

Haha Free Reed, I know, I don’t like this version of haste to the wedding as well, it just doesn’t sound like irish trad at all - there is definitely a lack of "craig" there and it sounds like something is missing. As for the solo, I still don’t know what the interest to have two drummers here. But the Corrs in general never did a great job with traditional instrumental tunes, I don’t know why they insist to put them on their records over the years. I recently heard the version of Sharon Corr "Jenny’s Chickens", this was a massacre in my humble opinion -_-’ (all the chickens are dead now :’(

But on the other hand, as some people already pointed out on this board several times, Ireland can be proud to have so many musical bands renowned all over the world. It is great for your country, not a lot of countries can say they have so many talented people coming from one single place - that is, one of the most beautiful yet tiny countries in Europe ;-)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the enlightenment and cheers guys :)

Jeez free reed how did you manage to stay all the way to the jig?! :-) I lasted about 30 seconds into the air and decided I couldn’t handle any more.. 8-)

I like that tune "Moran’s Return" but I can’t listen to the clip in my country. I’m actually playing at a barndance as written and it’s pretty cool. I wonder what kind of looks I’ll get playing it a session?

There’s a guitar player on "Youtube" who plays it very well. I can’t see it ever working as a barndance.

Posted by .