Playing in bars on March 17

Playing in bars on March 17

How many of you have bar gigs on P-Day? I have one, thankfully it’s pretty friendly and I’ll be playing with three rock solid players in front of a south side irish and irish american crowd. Should be OK. Doing a house party, too, should be great fun.

Re: Playing in bars on March 17

I know a lot of players try to get as many gigs in as possible. I did that once; 6 gigs in one day and spent a week in recovery. Not worth it to me; I’ve got one polite gig that night this year and I’m excited about having a place to sit in the pub on that night without the normal nightmares that come from just being out and about for St Pat’s. I’d rather perform than just be at the pub, especially on that night.

Posted by .

I hear ya Glenn. I did 4 or 5 gigs (can’t remember, it was such a long day!) in a single P-Day once and though lucrative it was not an experience worth repeating.

Friendly pubs and house parties are the way to go. I hate high-pressure, keep-em-entertained-for-three-hours gigs where you’re playing in front of people who don’t know a jig from a bale of hay but just want to get loaded and maybe sing the Unicorn Song and Danny Boy. A merry little slice of Hell, that. Leave that to the balladeers, it’s what they do best.

What I hate is when you’re running through a set for the umpteenth time, and suddenly you wake up and think — my god, have we done this the third time already, or am I thinking of the last show?

Generally, if I’m not performing, I don’t go out on St. Pat’s. Period. House party all the way, or stay at home and go to bed early. :)

I don’t know if this counts. I have an appointment with a doctor in Liverpool who is going to shove a camera down my throat on March 17th.

On the plus side, I am assured that I will be able to play the piano afterwards, so there’s something to look forward to.

;o)

Dave

Oooo, keep us posted as to what’s on, Dave. Um. Could you play the piano before?

We try to limit ourselves to one maybe two gigs tops for St. Pat’s. It’s our bass players birthday and he would rather be relaxing eating sushi. He gets pretty testy if we push him to do more. Like last year:

Bass player to drunk patron: Hey, where do you work?
Drunk (slurred): why do you want to know?
Bass Player: So I can show up, get drunk and #$%#$ with you while you work!

Anyways, so we have a gig on Pat’s day and then we are doing the Thursday thru Saturday at another place….should be a busy week and if we can fit in sushi so much the better.

~Autumn

I had a great time last St. Patrick’s Day, and hoping it’ll be even better this year. One of the players at our session teaches English at a highschool and invites those of us who can make it to come play music for his classes. Then his band (a subset of our session group) plays a gig at the tavern that hosts the session. Last year I got to sit in for the gig, which ran for six or seven hours. In all that time, we only repeated one song (Dirty Old Town), and that was by request. We managed to avoid the Unicorn until after closing time, when we continued playing just for the waitresses. One of them insisted, and led the others in the hand motions. It was actually fun.

Dave, can you arrange a live Internet broadcast?

This will be my first St.Patricks day gig. And actually I have two but I’m really looking foward to it. I’m playing at a bar that we play weekly so its going to feel a like home. And then at night we will be at a really freindly bar that happens to be right around the corner of my house. I’m a little nervous suddenly its already March. But I’m just really happy to be playing.

I have two comments about playing for St. Pat’s.
1) If it’s just a pub session it’s fine.
2) If it’s a performance to an audience, make sure you’ve an authentic irishman at the microphone or you’re in serious trouble, every hibernian for miles has come out of the woodwork, and they don’t believe you. For some reason it doesn’t matter at all the rest of the year.
Based on several bad experiences in the past.

GP

PS I shall be at a pub session organised by Seamus, so that’s all right.

We’ll be playing at the market where my husband works for 2 or 3 hours in the cafe around lunchtime. Should be a fairly innocuous crowd (I hope).

The second gig is at a Mexican Restaurant where they don’t have a liquor license, so it’s BYOB. That should be interesting……

Posted by .

No I couldn’t play the piano before.
But they said I will be able to afterwards.

Dave

I hope St Paddys Day in the Temple Bar is better than the last time I called by and was treated to Irish "favorites" shouted so loud you could hear them in the street and consisted of
Wild Rover
Leaving of Liverpool
Wild Rover
Leaving of Liverpool
Wild Rover
Leaving of Liverpool
Wild Rover
Leaving of Liverpool

DON’T go to Temple Bar. Only tourists from England go there. Try the Cobblestones pub in Smithfield. ‘tis better.

Sure and it’s an honor to play on St. Pat’s birthday (?) for all those (of us) who wish they were Irish (or musicians). Im a Yank in California and hoping I can join in somewhere, with my mandolin, (fiddle’s in storage); and thank God, (and some revolutionary souls), that we have non-smoking in all our bars/pubs in this state…good luck to the rest of you!. And for all those playin, singing, drinking at Kelly O’Neil’s in Waikiki…wish I could be with you, and lot’s of aloha your way. Mike Griffin (near San Francisco at the moment…maybe back in San Diego on the 17th).

Name day. It’s his name day. A day for serious meditation and quiet, originally…

My pennywhistle teacher and I will be playing at a party on the 20th. She plays bagpipes and fiddle. I play whistle. I’ll also try my bodhran for the first time in public. I’m not quite up to session speed yet, but she assures me the crowd won’t know the difference. I spent $67 for a mike and stand, and the gig will earn $50. Fortunately, when I started lessons I never expected to make a profit anyway. Based on some of the comments above, I’m glad my first exposure isn’t in a bar. Her name is O’Brien and I’m Hogan, but that’s as close as we get to sounding Irish.