ABC Software, once again

ABC Software, once again

Hi all,

I’m a big fan of ABC Navigator as a combined editor and organization tool for ABC files, but the software hasn’t been updated in 6 years and I’m wondering if there are better ABC clients out there now.

As a side note, are there any iOS or Android apps that work with ABC format? Just out of curiosity!

Re: ABC Software, once again

TunePal is my favorite mobile app. It is linked to Norbeck’s page and this one. You can search, pull up ABC, edit ABC (though I find this not so great with the touchscreen), convert to sheet music and midi playback.

I use ABC explorer on mp PC. I don’t know if it’s just the computer I’m on or the website itself ( http://stalikez.info/abc/abcex.php ) but I can’t access it right now. They update it occasionally but if i remember the website is mostly in French.

FYI Tunepal on Android will also allow you to load up and ABC file from your SD card/device. I recommend Tunebook for iOS for this purpose.

Like you, I’ve always been a fan of ABCnavigator. But I’ve just (just yesterday in fact) discovered something better, especially for editing on a small screen. It’s called EasyABC http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/ It has a better, more configurable interface and handles ABC+ syntax (multiple voices) If you’re experienced at editing ABC you might want to turn off the typing assistance, and undock the ABC syntax error widow while you’re typing. Be sure to read the change log, and general notes since some of the features are not obvious.

BTW when I say small screen I mean Netbook / Laptop

Second the motion for EasyABC on all computer platforms and Tunebook for iOS. THe editing in TunePal is also b y the guy who wrote Tunebook so it works quite well. Neither iOS app is as flexible as I would like, but both do a good job. EasyABC just keeps improving.

I like Easy ABC, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to turn off or alter the swing / rhythm effects that are always in the wrong place. If anyone knows, I would be grateful.

Posted by .

Hi Gam, could you elaborate on what you mean by those swing / rhythm effects? EasyABC uses the abc2midi program internally so there shouldn’t be anything special about the rhythm.

If you want to customize the rhythm you could try to have a look at this: http://ifdo.pugmarks.com/~seymour/runabc/abcguide/abc2midi_body.html#stressmodel
(please use the syntax that doesn’t refer to an external filename)

Cheers,
Nils (author of EasyABC)

FYI, I easily got EasyABC running on Ubuntu 12.04 in under 5 minutes.

For Android I use ABC Music Browser for reading, I don’t use it for editing.

Nils, when I tried Easy ABC, the first beat of every four in reels and the first of every three is louder. The same effect in ABC Navigator can easily be modified or removed by changing the volume values in the midi setup, but I can’t find a way to do it in EasyABC. Apart from that, it’s a nice program.

Posted by .

…first of every three in jigs…

Posted by .

ABC Explorer is great and is updated pretty often. You can print, organize, sort, convert to pdf’s and other formats, play midi, etc etc. I tried all the software out there (for pc) and this just makes everything so easy and it doesnt feel like you’re working on a program from the 1980’s.

Posted by .

Great recommendations—thanks!

Thanks for the reference, Nils.
By putting
%%MIDI nobeataccents
in the header you can even out the velocity of the notes. Now the only drawback is the slight delay at the end of a tune when it is repeating, but I can live with that. :)

Posted by .

Just to minimise the size of our band-pad, I use explorer for editing, and abc2win to print 6 or 7 tunes on a page.
Has anyone figured an easy way to print 6 tunes to a page in explorer?

To print several tunes on Explorer:
Copy the tunes to a separate file. Click on the file header and press print.
When the print menu appears, click on Format > Page & Margins.
Then adjust the Global Scale.
You will see a print preview and can get the spacing just right.

thanks - I have found the bottom tabs are score/ sets / print list
and Tools / Print Sheet Music / Add to print list adds a tune to the print list
right click in the list of tunes to get Print Preview
from where you can adjust the borders and font to get your tunes on a page

Is this the easiest way?
Any shortcuts?