Name That Reel

Name That Reel

Go mbeannaigh Dia Dhibh!

This is a question for those of you who have not only 1000 tunes in your head, but also the names that go with them. I have a great number of the former, only a small number of the latter.

I just posted a soundclip of my father playing another reel on the fiddle and I don’t know the name of it. Can you oblige? I’m fairly certain that this is a well known traditional reel and not one he composed. At least I’ve heard it many many times.

BTW, if any of you can play that reel of his (that I posted on this site and can be heard on my website), Mixed Blooms, I’d love to hear your version. Maybe post it on my site, with your permission.

The website is http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/butch63
and the reel I need a name for is the last one on the Martin Playing page.

Go raibh mile maith agaibh.

mairtin

Re: NAME THAT REEL

mairtin,
the reel is McFarley’s aka The Maids of Castlebar and sounds very much like the version I learned from the playing of John Doherty. What a grand tune!! The site is coming along fabulously. what a great tribute to your Father!
cheers!
michael

I posted The Maids of Castlebar on TheSession.org’s database a few months ago. I was taught it at a workshop in Clonmel in August 2003.
Trevor

Thank you, Michael and Trevor. I’m taking it Trevor that you agree with Michael. In which case, coming from Castlebar, I feel a little sheepish, like I’ve let the old town down, like not remembering the words of your National Anthem or something like that.

Michael, thanks for the encouraging words re the website. It would be interesting to know where MR and JD learned the tune as they lived a long way apart and in a time before modern media (that is, if as you say the two versions are close).

Trevor, I did see your posting. I went to it as soon as Michael named it. I tried to play with my very weak whistle skills, but I couldn’t hear much similarity between my playing and the reel Dad plays. Mea culpa, mea culpa. How close is the version you posted to the one my old man plays??

Will, if you’re around, is this the tune you transcribed in ABCs for me a while back??? If so, I still have that.

Slan go foill.

mairtin

Mairtin, I listened to the reel your Dad Martin plays and compared it simultaneously to the on-screen sheetmusic of The Maids of Castlebar, on this site’s database.
I think that they are fundamentally the same tune (just about!). The "B" parts of both tunes are obviously very similar, but the "A" parts sound different partly because Martin uses ornamentation (e.g. double-stops) that my Clonmel Scoil Eigse tutor (John McEvilly) didn’t, and vice versa.
It’s probably another one of those cases whether two versions of a tune have diverged from a common ancestor by different routes, although which one is closer to the original in this case is a moot point. I don’t know John McEvilly’s source for his version, although I seem to remember (possibly imaccurately) that he mentioned coming from the Castlebar area, and that his teacher was Paddy Ryan.
Over to the musicologists!
Trevor

Go raibh maith agat, trevor. I don’t know John. There were a few Paddy Ryans but not from Mayo, one from Tipp and one from Sligo. My father played that tune from when I was a child (1940s), maybe long before.
mairtin

Mairtin -

I was away on a business trip while this discussion came up. Apologies for the delay in my response.

Yes, the "unknown" tune I transcribed from your father’s playing is indeed the Maids of Castlebar. Nice to have a name to put on it. I’ll post those abcs of your father’s version in the comments section of the tune as Trevor submitted it here.

Posted .

Hi Mairtin,
I`m a fiddle player from Co Antrim and we play this tune in sessions.
Altan play this tune as McFarleys on their Blackwater Album and when i played it once in Westport I was told it was The maids of Castlebar

johnny