The Wyper Brothers

The Wyper Brothers

In the late 19th century and early 20th century two brothers from the small town of Blantyre, south of Glasgow, established a music business which was to have far-reaching influence. Experimenting with the new recording techniques, Peter and Daniel Wyper recorded and released first cylinders, then flat 78rpm discs of traditional Scottish and Irish music as well as some pieces inspired by the American Cakewalk and Ragtime genres (e.g. the works of Scots composer Felix Burns) played on the melodeon*. The Wyper Brothers’ recordings spread around the world, from the US to Australia, not least to Ireland.

The brothers cashed in on their success by publishing a tutor for the melodeon which included many Irish tunes. As a thank you to everyone who helped me with my EasyABC problems, I am making this tutor available as a free PDF download; clink on the following link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1189785/Books/Wyper_Brothers.pdf

* = While in Ireland the term melodeon came to be used specifically for the one-row button accordion, elsewhere it was a more general term. The Wypers’ "melodeons" were two-row 19-key button accordions.

Re: The Wyper Brothers

That’s Great, Nigel ! a treasure of a document. One of my first encounter with scottish music (other thant the touristic thing) was a Topic LP, "Melodeon greats" https://thesession.org/recordings/3591 and I love the Wyper’s style. OI do think they did a lot for the spreading of the 2-row box. They played seemingly a C/C#. like Jo Derrane and some tohers…
Thanks a lot for the post !

Thanks Nigel - great resource …. is there a page missing, p.28?

Thank you, Nigel!

Thanks Nigel — very interesting even to a non-box-player like me.

Posted by .

You play a non-box?

Yes, I forgot to say that there is a page missing - I’ve never had page 28. If anyone out there has it - let me know!

What a super resource! Thank you, Nigel. Judging from the page numbers, there appear to be three pages missing, pages 13, 28 and 32. Is it possible for these to be made available to complete the set?

Many thanks for posting that, Nigel. I’m just at the point of using the C# row on my B/C/C# a lot more and that will be a great help.

These are all the pages I have - I’m sorry about that. If you have the missing pages, please post them.

Great to have what there is here, in any case. Thanks very much, Nigel. A wee window on the past.

Box & Fiddle Archive

http://boxandfiddlearchive.weebly.com/index.html

I wish there was the story behind that archive Kevin. The article you linked to is already linked to at the start, but thanks for this new resource. Please add it to the ‘Links’…

Thanks Nigel and thanks to everyone else for the links. There’s some interesting reading at the box and fiddle archive.
The Coalburn Chronicles page has a great photo of the Douglas Water Dance Band, complete with Dulcimer player.

I’d be interested to learn how they duplicated recording cylinders……

I have one solitary 78 rpm of Peter Wyper, and it still plays well.
Regal G6986 -
(A Side) Selection of Hornpipes - The Cliff Hornpipe and The Harvest Home
(B Side) Queen Mary Waltz)
Circa 1915