Great session cities

Great session cities

I’m doing some travel planning for the course of the next year, and looking at planning it around session cities (travel will last anywhere from a week or so, to possibly well over a month). After several hours of putting in various key words in the discussion search here, I have not found a thread on specific cities/sessions people might recommend for the traveling musician, and given the daunting number of sessions listed, it’s hard to narrow anything down from a session search.

That said, I’m quite interested:

*What areas/cities (in the US for now) would you recommend visiting for great session scenes? Consider things like musicality, frequency, proximity to other sessions and session cities, friendliness, etc.
*Why would you recommend that area or city?
*Are there specific sessions you’d recommend visiting?

I’ve been probing these opinions from friends as well, but it’s always nice to have many points of view before setting plans! Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by .

Re: Great session cities

Your sole purpose of your trip is to travel to sessions in US? Just wanting to be clear on this.

This is not a place known for it’s clarity, Wyogal. But I admire your optimism.
Amy, if you’re coming to the west coast you should find out about sessions at the Plough & Stars in San Francisco.

Posted by .

You could do worse than making your way from Boston to Baltimore and stopping into all the cities in between.

You are not very clear about the route you are travelling, or if you want to restrict yourself to only a part of the US - which I would recommend. If you are willing to step a bit across the border, Montreal and Toronto are great.

Posted .

I just looked at your bio… hahahaha! We probably know some of the same people. And yes, you definitely understand the vastness of this place. There is a new-ish session in L. (I think they meet upstairs at that bookstore on Ivinson) on Tuesdays, and you could hit ours in C. on Wednesdays.

New Haven, Connect-icut (as they say in Ireland).

On your way to or from Portland or Seattle a visit to the Ha’Penny in Boise, Idaho most Sunday evenings (September-May) could be fun.

Chicago has several really good sessions. Nevins Evanston, Chief O’Niell’s on Lincoln Avenue. My inner Southsider has oft complained about the north side locations and had folks tell me about others so maybe they can weigh in with a few of the others.

Nevins is nice because John Williams tries to make the session work for a variety of skill levels. It is also close to public transportation.

Forgot to mention Teresa Shine’s session at Molly Malones in Forest Park. On the western side of the City.

Boston, Massachussetts and the surrounding communities have lots of good music going on at many different venues. And for its small size, Rhode Island has a fair amount of music going on.

Thanks for the replies (so far and any upcoming)! It’s always great to get a variety of input. Kept vague for a reason - - it’s interesting to see what and where people recommend! I look forward to planning a couple of great trips etc 🙂

Posted by .

In the midwest it’s chicago and milwaukee in that order. We have some sessions in madison as well if your looking for a route further west after hitting those cities. I haven’t been to chicago for sessions before but I hear it’s the real deal. Also, milwaukee being home to the largest traditional music festival in the US is bound to have some good sessions.