What is your favourite note?

What is your favourite note?

I don’t think you can beat a G but Fnat is a close second.
Let’s hear which particular notes all you lot like!

Re: What is your favourite note?

£20, but tenners are handier sometimes.

D is my favourite note, followed closely by G.

SEX PISOLS:
People said we couldn’t play
The called us foul-mothed yobs
But the only notes that really count
Are the ones that come in wads

Sorry! The Pisols were another band! The above quote is the Sex PISTOLS!

Blue.

Hidden.

Sick.

N.B.
I don’t think that there is any
That can beat a Nota Bene.

On the fiddle, that one that’s almost half way between Cnat and Csharp on the A string. It’s very precise, it has to be just that smidgen flatter than half way.

On the pipes, it’s that E flat that’s not quite Eflat in the second octave . The one that’s done by only covering the top hole of the bottom two holes. There’s quite a few tunes with that note in it.

Posted .

Sorry for being kind of boring, but mine is D, too. I could just sit there for hours, drowning the low D on my zouk, so that all the other strings start vibrating along…

Yes, as a piper, I should prefer that E, or the C supernatural, but I just really like the bottom D. I love crans. What can I say?

megapop: I agree! I play a D drone (lowest D and an octave higher) on my Indian Harmonium for ages just listening to the wave form mesh and doppler away.

Dear Sir, I write this note to you to tell you of me plight
and at the time of writing, I am not a pretty sight;
me body is all black and blue, me face a deathly gray
and I write this note to say why Paddy’s not at work today.

While working on the fourteenth floor some bricks I had to clear;
now, to throw them down from such a height was not a good idea.
the foreman wasn’t very pleased, he beeing an awkward sod
he said I’d have to cart them down the ladders in me hod.

Now, clearing all these bricks by hand it was so very slow,
so I hoisted up a barrel and secured the rope below.
But in me haste to do the job I was to blind to see
that a barrelful of building bricks was heavier than me.

So when I untied the rope the barrel fell like lead
and clinging tightly to the rope I started up instead.
Well, I shot up like a rocket till to my dismay I found
that halfway up I met the bloody barrel comming down.

Well, the barrel broke me shoulder as to the ground it sped,
and when I reached the top I banged the pully with my head.
Well, I clung on tight through numbed shock from this almighty blow
and the barrel spilled out half the bricks fourteen floors below.

Now, when these bricks had fallen from the barrel to the floor
I then outweighed the barrel and so started down once more;
still clinging tightly to the rope, I sped towards the ground,
and I landed on the brocken bricks that were all scattered round.

Well, I lay there groaning on the ground, I thougth I’d passed the worst,
when the barrel hit the pully-wheel and then the bottom burst.
Well, a shower of bricks rained down on me, I hadn’t got a hope
as I lay there moaning on the ground, I let go of the bloody rope.

The barrel than being heavier, it started down once more,
and landed right across me, as I lay upon the floor.
Well, it broke three ribs and my left arm and I can only say
that I hope you’ll understand why Paddy’s not a work today.

The Sick note by Sean is not bad, but The long note by Tony is probably my favourite.

How can ANYONE say that G is their favorite note? It’s waaay too notey, and so anyone that holds that….opinion…is just out of touch with pure drop traditional music. That is a bluegrass note.

And don’t get me started on e flat. Flirting with jazz, there, Mr. Gill?

And Sex Posole is just disgusting.

Low C.

"On the fiddle, that one that’s almost half way between Cnat and Csharp on the A string. It’s very precise, it has to be just that smidgen flatter than half way."

In other words, out of tune 🙂

I’m guessing the next thread will be "What’s your favourite chord?"

Yaal, that be list # 227. Sorry. List 227a 🙂

F!

But to answer your question …

Posted by .

Bb, favorite chord is G minor.

which as it happens is a B

and an "e"

The next one!

Posted by .

"…The one that’s done by only covering the top hole of the bottom two holes…" I have always known this as ‘ghost d’ and in certain chanters it does actually sound as a d, not an e flat, but it has that haunting quality that gives it its name.
I once bought an LP by Stefan Grossman just for one note of one track. The rest was pretty good, but that one note alone was worth the money.

Posted by .

My favorite note is the tinnitus note in my left ear. I had to embrace it because it won’t go away. It’s an E natural.

Every instrument has its favorite notes, they don’t all sound the same. Chalk it up to geometry, construction materials and all that.

Wrong, gravel!
There can only be one!

Its all relative…

Musically, All of them ; )
jim,,,

On Mick O’Brien & Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh’s ‘Kitty Lie Over’, last time round of Rolling in the Ryegrass, the long G that lasts the entire 2nd bar. The best note on the album, if not the World.

I’m with jim!!!,,,!!!
😉

That note from South Park that makes everyone poo his pants. It’s somewhere in the bass range though, so I can’t do it.

What is your favourite note (in a roll)? G#

Jim I beat you secretly play "out of tune Cs" late at night when you think no one will hear you.

Posted by .

Anyway, if you play that blue note along with your open E, it has more meaning and contextuality. But, you would already know this, right?

@Ben : I’m moving out. Your snoring does my head in 🙂

In tune Low C on fiddle

Fair play, Jim. haha.
A joke? So you agree that a properly played Low C is in tune? i.e. "On the fiddle, that one that’s almost half way between Cnat and Csharp on the A string. It’s very precise, it has to be just that smidgen flatter than half way."

Posted by .

@Ben - my favourite note - I was talking about my open (low) C on my 5-string fiddle.

Michael said : "On the fiddle, that one that’s almost half way between Cnat and Csharp on the A string. It’s very precise, it has to be just that smidgen flatter than half way."

That’s the point where there was (I think) a misunderstanding on your part, and my joke to Michael backfiring on me.

Ah, this brings one to the A=440 Question.

This goes - Is it really the case that the Rockefellers, the U.S.Navy, Dr. Goebbels and other worthies took counsel together in the 1930s-1940s to enforce this frequency, and presumably current standard pitch generally, on the musical world at large, so as to make people more alienated / aggressive / biddable, in certain military or industrial or crowd-manipulation situations?

I came across a dense website on this while I was listening to something else, so the attention I gave to the former was pretty weak. But part of the gist of it seemed to be that one or more pitches in common use among musicians before the introduction of A=440 as a general standard pitch were somehow in harmony with human biology (not to mention the cosmos, chakras etc…) and accordingly ‘good for’ one’s body / mind / spirit, while A=440 was at odds with it and detrimental to one’s system on various levels. Musicians across the board protested at its introduction. Those imposing it had no interest in music, but were solely interested in using the new pitch to further their experiments in mass control - or so the article said.

I do not claim the sensibilities of a 1930s orchestral violinist in Central Europe. I would hesitate to claim the sensibilities of a long-served heavy metal drummer. But long before reading this stuff I had the feeling that D and G, in modern concert pitch, belonged to a world slightly out of synch with mine: though as a melodeon player I inhabit these keys most of the time, I’ve always felt happier listening to music in C and F. Obviously they’ll be modern pitch too, but somehow they just seem nicer - more relaxed, ample and mellow. So I’ll say they’re my favourite notes.

I wouldn’t know if all notes in modern pitch are equally pernicious, by the criteria this article laid out, or whether some are more than others, and maybe some not at all. But I dare say some will have gone deep into the physics, biology and mathematics connected with this whole subject.

…and the in-tune/sharp/flat "C" or "C#" note on the A string, when played along with the open E string, has multitude of tone colours. Hope that clears up the misunderstanding ….

I was wondering where the random Low C came from. Was it part of the joke, or as the old timers say ~ 😏

Posted by .

"Your place or mine?"

Posted by .

On the flute, a hard bottom D.

I have always liked a ten pound note myself

On the pipes, it’s that low octave F supernatural (2 fingers off and chanter off the leg), and on the vulcan arse flute it’s a good hard ‘bottom’ D, although I’m forever hitting ‘bum’ notes on it…

"…one or more pitches in common use among musicians before the introduction of A=440 as a general standard pitch were somehow in harmony with human biology (not to mention the cosmos, chakras etc…) and accordingly ‘good for’ one’s body / mind / spirit, while A=440 was at odds with it and detrimental to one’s system on various levels."

I consider myself an adherent of the ‘anything’s possible until proven otherwise’ school. But what wrankles with me here is that most aspects of human physiology are quite variable from peson to person - height, size of feet, hands, nose, chest etc. and, perhaps even more pertinently, our voices differ from one another in their range and timbre. So, it seems likely to me that, whilst there may be patterns of resonance in the human body that are consitent throughout humankind (we are all built to more or less the same design), the actual resonant frequencies would vary considerably - perhaps about as much as pitch standards vary. Furthermore, logic tells me that evolution has seen to it that our resonance curves are probably normally quite broad since, if we had very sharp resonance peaks, certain frequencies would play havoc with our insides* and possibly kill us.

*The South Park gut frquency is, I believe, based on fact. But, I’m willing to speculate that this frequency is subject to similar tolerances as our higher body resonances. If this tolerance were, say, ±5%, at 440 Hz, that would give us a range of 418-462Hz, whilst at 20Hz, it would be 19-21Hz.

Who the hell is reading all of this?

My favorite note is an illuminating foot.

There’s a brilliant note, repeated ad nauseam, in The Padstow Lifeboat March by Malcolm Arnold. Bet you don’t get past the first sixty seconds of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu36AFOy8qM

There is an insipid echo of it in Staten Island.

I listened to the end Steve. It was great. 😀

Posted by .

C nat - its straight from the land of Nyahnia !

… as in, I listened to the whole of it, *through* to the end …

Posted by .

You can’t beat a good old Duff note. It even has a beer named after it 😎

You can’t get enough of that wonderful Duff!

Posted by .

Listened to it clear through to the end. Taking a stab here — does the acronym RBL stand for Royal British Legion?

Rollicking Banks of London

X triple flat

Like an icy sidewalk, if you don’t C sharp, you will B flat.

Laurence

As a kid, I tended to prefer the high c nat on the whistle- the one past the second octave that you always have to fiddle with everytime the weather changes.

D and A seem to be my favorite notes, but there’s something I like about all of them.

C#maj and Emaj have been my favorite keys to play in on piano as of recently.

A lot of my favorite R&B songs are in Abmaj.

I neglect Fmaj, Bbmaj, and Bmaj.

Eb major and minor are alright, but are a little too centered for me.

The blues scale on C is always pretty fun.

I don’t think that I made up anything that I just posted. Well, maybe that last bit about the Eb stuff

My favorite note is one from my doctor saying I should attend to my aches and pains with a wee dram at least once a day.

"X triple flat"

Triple X, definitely not flat and lightly chilled.

"My favorite note is one from my doctor saying I should attend to my aches and pains with a wee dram at least once a day."

Ah! Carolan’s Receipt…..

Jerone - hi!
Where have you been? Nice to see you back!

Hey domhnall 🙂 Well, I kind of ran out of questions ^_^ and when llig left, I was kind of disappointed, so I slipped out as well. Also, I figured that I couldn’t really offer much to the community since I don’t really know anything about Irish music. Lastly, I haven’t been too musically active recently because life got a little too crazy and I haven’t been able to afford to go to sessions, or out to busk because of the commute. Because of that, nothing has really changed.

I’ve been practicing traditional music on piano though, and I’ve finally been able to put some things together from music that i’ve learned from my tiny collection. "The Bucks of Oranmore" and "Lark in the Morning" have been the most recent projects and I think i’m able to work those on piano. I’ll be posting progress videos of that soon.

Grand - look forward to that!
D

………but don’t neglect the fiddle!!