Trad Tunes ABC’s etc for Kindle or Andriod phones?

Trad Tunes ABC’s etc for Kindle or Andriod phones?

Are there any cool tools i may not be aware of for learn trad tunes or something like that?

Re: Trad Tunes ABC’s etc for Kindle or Andriod phones?

Ears?? (Sorry!)

Posted by .

Cool pints of beer in a venue with live music.

“Why would you bother learning a tune if you’ve got the dots on your iPad?”

Seriously, A jazzer acquaintance said this to me the other week. I’ve watched jazzers with their iPads on their music stands. daft feckers

Posted .

Try ‘Tunepal’ - it is fabulous - easily the most comprehensive trad Irish music resource on Android - it has tune search of all the major collections, tune recognition direct into speaker, ABC viewer, ABC editor, standard score display, key transposition, slow-down at constant pitch & direct links to all source collections including the session.org - it is the best designed software I have ever seen - I would buy a smartphone just for this app - also on iPhone - written by Steve Duggan - great support - only a few pounds for a fantastic array of features - you won’t need any other abc software unless you really need to print on paper (if you do I would recommend abcExplorer for Windows)
I really can’t recommend Tunepal highly enough !!!

Posted by .

The world’s going daft.

Brian Duggan - not “Steve” [ unless he’s changed his name since I played tunes with him in July ], and you can contact him here through this website.

Posted by .

tunepal is seriously brilliant though. I was sceptical, but you can actually sing a bit of tune into your phone and up it comes. Spectacular yes, but ultimately, not really that useful.

Posted .

Well worth looking at is Tunebook, good filing system, midi play back with speed change links to several abc site including this.
Have a look at Anytune for slowing down and or pitch changing your CDs. It can also play back a short phrase repeatedly until you get it right.

Sorry - I mean’t Bryan Duggan of course
And though I knew there would be the usual onslaught from the sceptics, I was merely trying to answer the question which was what resources are available for Android
Obviously I know no software will take the place of listening and playing with other people, and wouln’t dream of taking any electronic or any other form of music score to a session - that wasn’t the question asked !
However, I find Tunepal is useful as a reference and indeed the only software I know that runs on Android
Incidentally, I don’t think the other software mentioned runs on Android

Posted by .

Is this some new definition of jazz of which I have been hitherto unaware - a form which needs dots? I’ve alway understood that improvisation was the definition of the music and that the motto of jazzmen’women was “Learn the *****y tune you moron!”. thus neatly disposing of the bulk of classical musicians at a stroke!

Bix lives!!

Enob,

Thatnks for your helpful informative reply.

Jazzers, iPads!? what did i ask about this!? i’m confused……..i don’t have nore do i desire an ipad

kindle anyone!?

Kindle ABC books anyone?

“Kindle ABC books anyone”. Kindle will display PDF files. ABC to PDF is easy. Loads of tunes collections in ABC on the web.

Huge PDF files may cause problems - split them up. Display is too small to play from the dots 🙂 . PDF with scanned dots may not display properly but those from converters are fine. Don’t some Kindles play mp3 files ? Mine doesn’t.

Zap’s ABC for Android devices, available at Google Play, works brilliantly on my 1st gen Kindle Fire to convert/import abc-formatted text to sheet music and midi files, which display/play well on the Fire. Use it in conjunction with Opera Mobile, the browser recommended by the developer - if copying text from other browsers into Zap’s ABC, other browsers may not preserve the line breaks properly. The developer generously e-mailed me the .apk, since Amazon “kindly” blocks Google Play on the Fire.