Need help converting a tune (mp3) to ABC, midi and score.

Need help converting a tune (mp3) to ABC, midi and score.

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can give advice on converting a tune (I only have an mp3 version of it) to a score, ABC and perhaps a midi file so that I can submit it to The Session. I do not read or write music. Any software that would take an mp3 file and do this? The tune (an original) is being played on solo flute. Would it be best to have someone score the tune first?

Thanks,
Shardul.

Re: Need help converting a tune (mp3) to ABC, midi and score.

I’m sure Ceolachan would be only too happy to help you post your debut original composition on the site.

Once you’ve got it into abc format, you can very easily convert it to both midi and sheet music. When you submit a tune to this site, you submit it in abc format, and it will miraculosly appear as sheet music and a midi file within a couple of days.

However, before you submit your composition, read this https://thesession.org/members/index/faqs , paying special attention to question #16.

If you want to convert from abc to sheet music for your own use, or to print out, http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html should meet your needs. That site will also play your tune as midi. As for getting your tune into abc format, there probably is software that can do it, but I’ve never used any; I suggest learning to do it yourself - or getting someone else to do it for you, and explain it as they do.

Tunepal will transcribe it for you, if you play it into a computer mike or use the iPhone App. I think there might be an Android App now as well …

Posted by .

I don’t think there is an easy way to get mp3 audio converted into dots - abc to dots is no problem…

Yes there is. See my suggestion above.

Posted by .

Please don’t submit it.

Tunepal does not transcribe tunes. It analyzes what you play and compares it to an enormous database of tunes. If it’s really an original tune, it will not be in that database.

It really won’t hurt to learn reading dots.

But please, listen to Smash.

@ Sol Foster: Try playing a tune - any tune - into tunepal on your PC. You will find that it has magically transcribed the tune into ABC, which you can copy and paste into any programme you feel like. I know. I’ve done it a fair bit. Normally, I just write stuff out myself, which only takes a few minutes, but if you’ve only got a few *seconds*, Tunepal might just be yer man. You have to sort out the barlines and stuff (which you can do later), but it’ll give you the notes for anything.

Posted by .

"I don’t think there is an easy way to get mp3 audio converted into dots"

It’s quite easy, you listen to the MP3, play the tune and write down the notes.

EB have you ever tried what you are suggesting

Here’s the first part of jenny’s wedding, where can I post it
a2Ef’ECf’aaac’f’2Adecefdde2dc2Ae’2Bc2ccdeea3ge2dc2Ba3c’A2d2fed2cAA2Bcdeegffdeecdd2c2aBcdaG2c’FCa3a2aa’Daf’Ff’3d

Yeah I have. See above.

I agree though, it normally takes me 10 minutes max to write out the tune either on paper or straight into ABC WinNavigator, so what’s the big deal, eh?

I think there are other online programmes that’ll give you the notes as well, btw …

Posted by .

For sale: Fully keyed wooden flute with MIDI-OUT. Virtually unused. € 2000 or best offer.

To be fair to Shardul, they don’t say it’s their own ‘original’ composition. It could well be one they’ve picked up, presumably by ear, from someone else’s playing. So why the rush to criticise?

It is perhaps implied to be their own work.

If it is by someone else, then perhaps post it here first in the discussions so we can help you out with your transcription?

The confusion about what TunePal might do is probably due to the fact that TunePal converts whatever it hears into ABC before it goes looking for the tune. So, in that sense, ethical blend is right. However, once you have played in a brief passage TunePal will then look up tunes with that pattern of ABC in them in a database as Sol Foster suggests.

So, two rights make a right….right?

Hey

Thanks for recommending Tunepal for this task - It will make an attempt to transcribe what you have played, but it will usually be be pretty rough! At the very least you will have to add bar divisions, headers etc, but it might save a bit of work up front.

BTW I am hard at work on the new Tunepal website & apps with new collections, transposition invariant searches, new graphics, tune sorting, sets, user logins, events, support for additional devices etc etc. This will be rolling out over the coming year. As soon as I have something finished I’ll release it. "Like" tunepal on Facebook if you want to keep up with what’s going on in the Tunepal world

Bryan

FWIW, there is a software product by the name of Intelliscore that converts audio, wav, mp3 into midi or a music score, and works with monophonic or polyphonic sources. Trouble is, it costs - a lot! With folk music you’ll be far better off by learning the tune by ear, and take the trouble to learn the basics of ABC and/or dot notations (no big deal) if you want to see it on paper.

I see you got it submitted. Please don’t use classical turn notation for rolls again. They are NOT turns. Write a plain dotted eighth (or three eighths of the same pitch) and an experienced Irish player will know what to do there.

Don’t worry too much about the turn symbol. "Experienced Irish players" will likely know what to do whether it’s there or not.