Pitches of common whistles?

Pitches of common whistles?

I was wondering if there were specific keys for the particular whistles of policeman, sailors, infantry, etc. - that way I can call someone a thief, ask someone onboard or signal a retreat while playing in a session?

Re: Pitches of common whistles?

The infantry have whistles now?

Posted by .

They still do, if nothing else than for parade. Used to use them for field commands during the din of battle, if I’m not mistaken; flags (ancient semiphore) were also common. They probably dropped them from that application when whistling mortars hit the field - probably made a mess the first time those showed up together.

http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/home.php?cat=1
All the various types of whistles are here together with sound samples if you want to get your tuner out. Or e-mail them and ask if they are made with a specific pitch in mind.

Posted by .

Some whistles have a couple of discordant pitches built in, to better attract your attention. Fifes were also used in battle because they cut through the din, and there were snippets of tunes that were linked to commands.

Nothing but peas to eat, nothing but peas to eat.

If they are made to a consistent pitch, I doubt whether the pitch has ever been specified in musical terms - just ‘suitably shrill’.

The birds in the tree outside the window started singing with the sunrise towards the end of the air - I would have thought that a bit of an uncommon whistle?

No, literally - I was eating my breakfast. Thanks for the link, Ben.