the music of Skip Healy

the music of Skip Healy

Hello there,
Anyone out there know the music of skip Healy?
thank you
J.J.

Posted by .

Re: the music of Skip Healy

Kinda fast. Plays some fife, also fife tunes. Makes flutes. Pin mounted keys. Nice guy. Title of CD is "Empty Pockets." Lives in Connecticut or some other locale in what William Gibson termed "The Sprawl."

One of his most widley played tunes is "The Return Home" But he has written many others https://thesession.org/tunes/379

He can play very fancy or very traditional but he doesn’t usually doesn’t play pure-drop traditional on recordings.

He started playing fife as a kid and to say he plays ‘some fife’ is like saying Tommy Peoples knows ‘some fiddle’ he’s one of the top fifers in the world.

He got interested in Irish flute in his late teens/20’s and learned a lot from Phil Maloughney in the Co Tipp - he was also learned and played with Matt Molloy.

Skip worked in Chris Abel’s flute shop, he competed and one the all all Ireland on whistle but was disqualified because he competed on one Chris Abel’s whistles and they are made of blackwood not tin/brass - so the adjudicators disqualified him.

He currently lives in Switzerland, but when he’s from Rhode Island.

sorry the ipad rewrites sentences for me…

But when he’s HERE he’s in Rhode Island

Skip Healy -
A very very accomplished instrumentalist.
(wish I had his toolbox!)

As a fifer, one hell of a grand fifer.

As a trad flutist, one hell of a grand fifer.

Go figger.

Posted by .

Skip is a great guy, and a fine player—Mr. Maloney has given you a good summary of facts about him. And his website is full of stuff that will be of interest to flautists and fifers. Just got to play beside him at a session the other night, which was a rare treat—I frequently lost track of what I was doing, because what he was doing with the tune was so interesting!

Well, thank you for that.

Posted by .

Thanks for posting that, Creadur -
nice stuff from Skip.
A very interesting stylist, indeed.

Great chops.

Posted by .