Hohner Morgane or Weltmeister James Keane? which would you get as a starter for ITM?

Hohner Morgane or Weltmeister James Keane? which would you get as a starter for ITM?

I’m starting on the road to getting my first Irish B/C accordion. I like the wooden look. Can’t get to play before I buy as there are no dealers nearby. I’m torn between the Hohner Morgane and the Weltmeister James Keane. (I believe these are similar to the 406)
I like a little on the wet side of tuning or a little vibrato. Which would you go for?

Re: Hohner Morgane or Weltmeister James Keane? which would you get as a starter for ITM?

Sorry I guess it’s closer to the 531 than the 406

Re: Hohner Morgane or Weltmeister James Keane? which would you get as a starter for ITM?

I wouldn’t advise you to get a Hohner Morgane for ITM. The feel of playing the mushroom-style buttons, packed close together, is too different from the standard flat keyboard that Irish musos generally prefer. This not to say you couldn’t play great Irish music on one. But if you’re going to stick with Irish-style playing, I’d suggest you learn on something more conventional in the keyboard department.

Morganes seem to be factory-tuned to a very nice swing - not wet.

I know nothing about WM James Keane model - I’m surprised if they are still producing it because James has turned to Castagnari to make his "signature" box. But if it still exists I’d guess it would have a flat keyboard.

It does have a flat keyboard

On looks and the cut of the instrument, keyboard included, I’d go with the Weltmeister James Keane… I love those black buttons… But what would sell me would be the sound, and I’ve never heard a Weltmeister James Keane that I can remember…

There are sites where you can hear particular instruments being played. Have you tried one of these (eg Melodeon.net)? Failing that, search Utube with your instrument names.
Good Luck!

both boxes are pretty gash, you’d be better off getting a homeless guys cardboard box, then buy a harmonica from PoundLand, take the reeds out of that and make your own

Posted .

surprised

I thought James Keane was in the Casti camp.

Love the sound of his box. Just can’t afford one

I really like that 3 voice Weltmeister - Welties tend to be wet - if you buy it through John Nolan in New York he could tune it really nicely -

Is ti an LMM or an MMM?

The Morgane is a nice box too if you’re looking for a nice dry box - there’s a nice vid of one out on yt - a fellow playing bundle and go -

of the 2 I think having the versatility of switching between 2 and 3 voices with the Weltie would sway me more in favor of the Weltie -

Michael Usui down at Irish Dancemaster would have some nice boxes in stock too -

Posted by .

john nolan sorted me out with nice Morgane. He even demonstrated them both on skype and offered to put a little vibrato on it too. I’ll be skyping lessons with him too!

I have a b/c Morgane that I am selling. Are you in the U. S.? It’s two years old, purchased new from the Button Box.

sh*t.. Money has already changed hands, Oh well, I’m getting it tuned the way I want it so can’t complain. Why are you selling it?
Do you like it?

ceolachan, Thanks for posting those links, quite helpful to hear the different tunings contrasted.

daddybanjo ~ tell us more! And don’t foget to come back and sing the praises or the worries of your new acquisition. Best of luck, and may it be a long and happy association! But, which one did you go for? Would love to hear it played after you get it tuned the way you want, even if it is just scales…

Once I heard and saw John demonstrate both boxes on skype. My heart went to the Morgane for sound and looks. I wasn’t crazy about the extra voice on the Welt. It was a little heavy for my liking. The bright orange behind the grill of the Welt was a little out of place too.
The Morgane just had a sweeter brighter sound and I like look a lot better. Once John in finished adding a little vibrato I can’t wait to get my hands on it.
There are just my opinions I really had to hear and see them for myself. For a person like me that has no stores with accordions anywhere nearby let alone teachers, the skype demo the John offered was a God send.

As a player of a d/g Morgane I find the keyboard extremely nimble and quick, if a bit fragile, the buttons being mushroom type can get caught and bent, and seem more delicate than Italian boxes with similar keyboards. The reed response is very quick and positive and the swing tuning nice and even; the basses have the caracteristic Hohner grumpyness though, but are not loud and dominant unlike so many Italian boxes. All in all a great little box at a sensible price.