Tweaked whistle?

Tweaked whistle?

It’s possible to put a susato head in a generation whistle?
Have you ever seen that, or similar ?
Thank you.

Re: Tweaked whistle?

I think the diameter of the Susato is much larger than the diameter of the body of the Generation, though I’m not sure. If I were you I’d ask this question over on the Chiff & Fipple board where Jerry Freeman, who makes his living tweaking whistles hangs out. He’s bound to know the answer.

I concur with cboody, go to Jerry Freeman, the King of Tweaking for a solid answer to your question.

Cayden

I believe the bore of a Susato head is greater in size than the external diametre of a Generation tube. The reason for this being that the plastic walls of the Susato are thicker than the brass walls of the Generation.

Having conducted an experiment, I find that this difference in relative sizes makes a Susato C whistle head a slightly slack fit on a Genertion Bb tube.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what this sounds like as I can’t get the head off my Bb Gen !!! - I’ll report back when I’ve managed to get it off !

Hmmmmmm, "Diameter"

Heck, I put a clarinet mouthpiece on a Susato Low F body and it played great…

Supposedly the saxophone was invented when people started sticking clarinet mouthpieces onto brass instrument bodies.

So you never know what will work til you try it.

😀 Bless you ormepipes, more evidence of community madness…

I’m not sure I’d call it necessarily ‘tweaked’, but anything is possible where the only thing involved is simple tubing ~ an intermediary sleeve (more tubing), or just old style waxed winding, or plumbers tape…

Re: Frankenstein whistle?

Mwoo-ha-haaaaa! 😛

Ceolachan,

I thiught that myself - "anything is possible where the only thing involved is simple tubing ~ an intermediary sleeve (more tubing), or just old style waxed winding, or plumbers tape" - but then I wondered if the height of the fipple relative to the centre line of the tube might have an effect.

We may never know however, still having issues taking the top off the Bb ! - but I’ve not given up yet.

Thanks for the answers 🙂
Obviously the diameter of susato is much larger, but… do you think that using teflon tape can solve the problem?
Thanks for all.

PTFE tape will fix it for sure, but if you try to fit a Susato D head on a Generation D body you will need a fair bit of it. I estimate that the tune outside diameter of the tube will be 2mm smaller than the inside diameter of the head.

Just in case your wondering, I still have’nt got the head off that Bb - mind, I have been doing other things today as well!!!!!

What you need is Sugru. Invented by an Irish lass.

Posted by .

DOH !! for "tune outside diameter" please read "Tube outside diameter"

Sugru???? - you sure thats not Chinese superglue?

More bigotry from ormepipes.

Posted by .

Actually, I’ve just checked it out on the internet, its amazing stuff

http://sugru.com/about

But not suitable for this application, assuming you want to leave movement in the joint for tuning purposes.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to go to the trouble of doing this? Not sure it’ll make your Generation sound any better not to mention the odd looking instrument you’ll have after (by odd I mean ugly ;) ).

Posted by .

I don’t know anything about whistles, but I know a bit about acoustics and a bit about airflow, and it strikes me that if you put the head off one whistle onto a different sized tube from another, you’re going to land up with a step in the bore , lots of turbulence, and (assuming it plays at all) something that doesn’t sound as good as either of the original whistles.

Hey skreech, don’t yuh know stepped tubing is all the rage still, though for trumpets and the like… 😀

The main internal bore of both a Susato C and Generation C are fairly similar, even at the head piece of the Susato. The problem is that the susato is made of, by comparison, thick walled plastic. This gives a mis-match of bores just at the head joint. The head joint of the Susato whistle top is just swelled out at the bottom to create a tuning facility.

If that makes any sense!

Still not got the top off that Bb - but I’ve ordered a team of oxen for the afternoon, its become a point of honour now to get the damned thing off !

Thanks for the answers!

Ormepipes - boil some water and put it in a coffee/tea cup and stick your whistle head into it. I know that sounds vulgar lol.

As for temperature, make sure it’s not hotter than a cup of tea and you won’t warp the plastic. That does the trick for me every time.

Posted by .

Cheers mimicabin,

Already been trying that. Strange thing is, its an old whistle and I’m sure I’ve had the head off in the past. I was thinking this was going to be easy - LOL!

In that case put it in boiling water. Had a whistle that was the same way and boiling water did the job. It also warped the head and put the whistle out of tune but hey, I got it off. lol

Posted by .

Iv’e got one i made about a year ago ,for some reason not quite as loud as susato, but sweeter’ and is definatly better than genereration, i just bored out the mouthpiece
and stuck it on, looks a bit weird but sounds Dapper !!!!!

Posted by .

Sorry generation !!!!

Posted by .