Ian Hardie RIP

Ian Hardie RIP

I have heard through internet means that fine Scottish fiddle player Ian Hardie has died.

I know a few of his tunes and they are all crackers. Best wishes to his family at this time, also from what I heard he was a true gent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dON1Lhx0TBE

Posted .

Re: Ian Hardie RIP

also: https://thesession.org/tunes/11219

This is one of his tunes I learnt a while back. I will probably play it in the session tonight in his honour, RIP Ian!

Posted .

Blimey, that was unexpected. Heard him talking on the radio at the weekend there. Whilst I doubt it was live it had to have been recorded only a few weeks or so ago. He can’t have been much over 60, if that.

He’ll be sorely missed

Very sorry to hear this, although someone had mentioned to me a while ago that Ian had been ill.
I met and played sessions with him many times in Edinburgh in "Sandy Bell’s" [ where else], when he was a member of "Jock Tamson’s Bairns", whose 1st album is still my favourite record of Scottish music of all time. He was also a member of a band called "Wee Willum", before that, which included Rod Paterson, Norman Chalmers, Pete McClements, Derek Hoy and John Croall. We had a very memorable weekend with them all when they came to play in Aberdeen, late 70s, I would think, and I may even still have a cassette recording of some of their performance and the subsequent session.
Ian had a great style of playing, especially of pipe tunes, although he was equally capable of handling the "semi-classical" stuff of the Scottish composers such as Marshall or Skinner.
I hadn’t seen Ian for a number of years, but seem to remember that he was also a very accomplished player of small-pipes, and a prolific composer on both pipes and fiddle. His latest project had been to make a unique recording of fiddle music in "non-standard" tunings, which showed his inventiveness and creativity.
He will be much missed, both as a person, and as a musician. My sincere condolences to his family and many friends.

Posted by .

very well said Kenny, I was wondering if you ever met him ( i was sure you would have at some point down the line) so i am very interested in what you have to say, I never met him but his legacy lies not with just the people he met but also with the tunes that he created.

Posted .

Sad news indeed.

It should also be remembered that Ian edited The Nineties Collection which was an invaluable volume of new Scottish tunes. Whether you use "the dots" or not, there are many great tunes in there which subsequently received a much wider circulation and recognition.

This is very sad - I was aware he was ill, but wasn’t aware of just how ill he was. There was a broadcast of "Take The Floor" a couple of weeks back which featured "The Occasionals", including Ian.

Posted by .