what’s the least crazy crazy thing you’ve seen at a session.

what’s the least crazy crazy thing you’ve seen at a session.

A very drunk drummer on synthesizer.
It was worse than you can imagine. But still not the craziest.

Posted by .

Re: what’s the least crazy crazy thing you’ve seen at a session.

a chair

Posted .

I’m not sure I understand the question…

Lots of crazy things happen in sessions. Just think of one. If that doesn’t work goes with the craziest. It’s OK to improvise.

Posted by .

If you haven’t seen a crazy thing at a session, then you haven’t been going for long enough !

LEAST crazy? or MOST crazy. The least crazy: we sit around and play tunes.

One night, a beginner bodhran class came to our session…there must have been at least 14 bodhrans, all flailing away.

A child prodigy.

A few weeks ago I had a pint.

LAST crazy, I guess??

Musical instruments

“Musical instruments” and the “chair” are up there….
I once saw people talking in between tunes…. which is certainly up there as well… I remember it very well, the next day I told nobody about it.

I think there should have been a comma after the first “crazy”.

A man with an upside-down bar stool balanced on one shoulder, holding a whistle, pretending to be a bagpiper. It was fairly crazy - and actually quite funny, I thought (although probably not to those who’d seen him do it 30 times before) - but not nearly as crazy as playing a real set of bagpipes in a session. I’ve seen that a few times, too.

Ha! Now I got it. A comma would make “crazy crazy” be a gemination, but it is meant to refer to the least crazy thing which still is crazy. Man, such rhetorical analysis at early morning, phew!

Oh, and i’ve also seen Uilleann AND Smallpipes. Every since I heard smallpipes, I can’t figure out which one is my favorite. They’re both really neat instruments.

“Oh, and i’ve also seen Uilleann AND Smallpipes.”

Uillean pipes in a session make perfect sense. Smallpipes in a session make perfect sense. Both of them together make twice as much sense. So, not really crazy, in my opinion.

Which would make it least crazy, eh?

…both of them playing the same tune together, each pipe set in its native key …

Clearly you haven’t been around many sessions, Jim. I’ve played a lot of sessions with small pipes and border pipes. If they’re in A (as most of the ones you will see are) and I’m in D, everyone gets along just fine.

…I meant them both playing in different keys 🙂…joke backfired … never mind. I have seen both instruments being happy pals at a few sessions, but not many.

A perfect blend of instruments, wonderful camaraderie and an appreciative amount of applause in between people buying us drinks and marvelling at how wonderful we all are. That would be batsh*t crazy. I’ve never seen or heard of such a thing so that’s probably in the realms of wild, send-them-round-and-lock-you-up-type craziness. Least crazy / most normal? The sense of never quite knowing what will happen while you attempt to hear yourself in amongst a load of noisy punters all enjoying themselves to excess.

Take 2 > > what’s the least crazy, crazy thing you’ve seen on thesession?

Trevor and megapop thanks for sorting the header & sorry if it made anyone think you were seeing double.

Posted by .

trying to hear my dry tuned box when the other ten participants at the session are playing fiddles.

Posted by .

@mybc, does that mean the ten fiddles are all playing exactly in tune with you and each other? Gosh!

@Mark, sometimes at our Tuesday session we’ve had the occasional tourist from overseas (i.e. the other side of the Pond) express their appreciation by buying the session a round of drinks, and even once or twice asking if they could purchase the “band’s” CDs (sadly non-existent!). On one notable occasion we had a tourist who filmed us on his mobile (fair enough, it happens a lot), but this time he was simultaneously streaming it to a friend in California.

A few months ago we had a visit from an eminent US rock band (20M CDs to their credit) plus their support band and roadies, who were looking for a quiet evening sans fans in an out-of-the-way pub prior to their sell-out concert the next day. Really nice guys who took a genuine interest in our English music session and talked to us afterwards about it.

Re: What’s the least-crazy crazy thing you’ve seen at a session?

At the session I used to frequent at the Ancient Order if Hibernians club in Redford, Michigan, an elderly gent, after a few beers, would stand in the center of the session circle with his home-made paddle ball, the paddle constructed to look like a shamrock, with a rubber ball on the end of maybe 2 feet of elastic band (4-5 feet extended). He would bounce the ball in time to the tunes, and many’s the time I winced as the ball whizzed by my head.

NOTE: I’ve opted for the hyphen rather than the comma, to indicate ‘least-crazy’ as modifying ‘crazy’

of

A rat eating a blue jean jacket…

@TJ:

it’s a statistical thing. Each fiddles’ output wanders in and out of tune as the piece is played. At any given time, an average of two fiddles will be in tune with each other, but not in concert pitch. An average of two fiddles will be in tune with me, and be in concert pitch. An average of six fiddles will be somewhere else.

Each fiddle present will pass in and out of all three of these states several times during the course of the tune.

Posted by .

I guess there was the time a bodhran player flipped his case open, not noticing the candle on the table. We didn’t realize what was happening until there was a nasty smell, and smoke starting to rise. (Oh, and sorry to say, no bodhrans were harmed in the making of this story).
Then, in the spirit of Halloween and horrible creatures, there was the time a piano accordion player came who knew no tunes, but improvised through the night, with both left and right hands contributing continuously through every tune. I told the session host that if he was ever allowed back, I would be gone.

Well, I should explain further. Remember, i’ve only been going to sessions for a little over a year, and before learning about this music, I had never even heard of those instruments. There aren’t a lot of Uilleann or Small pipers around these parts. Matter of fact, I only know one of each. But finally, i’ve seen pretty much every traditional instrumentalist at a session, except for a piano accordion or harp player.

Uilleann Pipes in the wrong hands can be DANGEROUS! One piper of my acquaintance, though a fine piper, does rather tend to take over in sessions and drown the rest of us, including the boxes.

Just before a session, a steak on a plate in front of me.

It may well have come from a mad cow, which by definition is a fairly crazy life-form.

But it will be dead, therefore a non-crazy crazy thing.

(Did Mad Cow Disease cross the Pond?..)

this whole discussion has to be one of “the most boring interesting threads in quite a while”

What’s the thing you’ve seen at a session?

If the phrase ‘least crazy’ cancels out the word ‘crazy’ then the question reads: What’s the thing you’ve seen at a session? (I’ve added the missing question mark rather pedantically, I know, but there you go)

Still not very interesting.
Perhaps this could conversely be the most interesting boring thread.
I prefer and miss a good war-like thread about backing and purism and inappropriateness and performance and stuff…

“I prefer and miss a good war-like thread”
well start one..

How about a Christmas session in a pub, where your favourite CD is used to lead the session, backers are all welcome and sheet music/ABC can be provided, and for those who can’t play they are openly encouraged to clap along to the music, because it is Christmas after all.

must not forget, there is the slow down and speed up option on the CD player or iphone, computer,etc.. to get the music just at the right tempo.

Yeah, what a disgusting idea.

what’s the least thing you’ve seen at a lesser session…

!Mon! yhaalhouse craziness has *always* been ranked + high + to - low - . Take flute players for instance. It’s very, very crazy how some fluters play tunes. By comparison Vulcan flute players, with their perfect control of emotions (& puntuation), are less crazy fluters. Of course, during pon farr all the stops are pulled out.
Crazy!

Posted by .

“Perhaps this could conversely be the most interesting boring thread.
I prefer and miss a good war-like thread about backing and purism and inappropriateness and performance and stuff…”

Start a thread about how much you hate Liz Carroll’s accompaniment to John Doyle’s guitar playing, or how you always secretly wished the Bothy Band would plug their instruments into an amp so you could shout “Judas”…

What this court is missing these days, of course, is a proper Devil’s advocate. In the real Devil’s Advocate’s exile I can only be, perhaps, the Court jester and generally gesticulate to proper job Bezelbubbish egg noggish-ness…

The bloody Stones/ bloody Chieftains’ jam t’ing (fing): Is it rock’n’roll and do I like it?

Charlie, as ever shines through!
He knows a 9/8 from all those swung jazz waltzes…
Viva & marbarrak Mr Watts!

Craziest……..I was playing at a small session in an Irish pub in Peckham in London in the late seventies, when a fight broke out between the Governor and his wife over a woman who happened to be sitting beside the musicians. The Guv’ was a small man and was half p*ssed. The wife hit him with her shoe and he fell into our group.Then she chased him all over the pub and up and down the stairs. We could hear them running around upstairs. We played a few more tunes. It’s not easy to play when tears of laughter are running down your face. Neither the wife nor the the husband returned to the bar, so we thought it was better to get out when we could. Never did find out the outcome of the row.

What’s the least war-like mustard war imaginable(?)

Dare to imagine a crazy in which crazy from all classes of crazy will sit down together to play tunes of various craziness. Big, bad crazy; average Joe Crazy, even itty-bitty, baby crazy; altogether as one 😀 crazy. Least crazy is no better nor worse than any other crazy. It is just humble crazy.

Posted by .

@Free Reed
That reminds me of a session in a pub where the landlord was always falling-down-drunk; he would announce “I’m gonna do my Tom Cruise” (that cocktail bar film thing) followed by the sound of breaking glass as he failed to intercept a single one of the glasses he was trying to juggle.

The one time I went and he was sober, his wife was slurring her words, sitting extremely close to me and telling me to come and see her any time. I stopped going to that session.

‘Least crazy’ in a way, because clearly for that couple it wasn’t at all crazy, just their everyday life.

A landlord who is drunk on duty, while sounding fun, is actually not a very good idea. To start with, he will likely not be in a fit condition to exercise control when necessary, or to take proper action in an emergency. In some legislations he could lose his licence, and if he an employee of a pub chain than he could be dismissed.