Got a set of Pakistani pipes you’d like to unload for cheap?

Got a set of Pakistani pipes you’d like to unload for cheap?

Hey, all! New here…classical silver flute player of 38 years, Irish flute for about 7, having a blast jamming with my rock and roll/jazz/Irish/otherwise mixed up band, working full time at a local radio station in beautiful southern Colorado. I guess that about sums it up. Nice ta "meet" ya.

Okay, here’s my story. I’ve wanted to pick up the uilleann pipes for oh, 10 years or so, finally scraped up enough gauche to order a David Daye practice set, and am so excited I can hardly stand it. BUT…I have to wait until July 2013 to get my hot little sweaty hands on them.

So now what I’m thinking is, well, how about acquiring a second-hand set of those el-cheapo Pakistani pipes that everyone’s always ranting about, learning the "plumbing" on those, and then I’ll have a jump-start on the learning curve when I get the "real" ones from David. AND, I’ll have a set of pipes that I don’t care about that I can tear apart and tinker with.

I don’t particularly care about intonation, volume, or any of that stuff since I won’t be playing with anyone else for awhile. My poor, long-suffering husband can go take refuge at the nearest coffee house while I’m making dying duck noises. And I know quite well that there’s nothing like playing on a poor quality instrument to make one appreciate playing on a fine one, so I kind of know what I’m getting myself into.

So, that said, anybody got a crap set of Pakistani pipes they’d like to get rid of for super cheap? Maybe $100 or less? If they make noise, I’m interested.

Oh, and you’re absolutely welcome to tell me that I’m insane. I’m used to that ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry about the long post, and thanks for reading!

Re: Got a set of Pakistani pipes you’d like to unload for cheap?

don’t play them on your radio

Posted .

you can get a new set from ebay for that much

@Dow: LOL, THAT would decrease listenership, for sure!

@b. maloney: Really? I haven’t seen any for less than $400…but then I haven’t been looking for very long, either. Will keep at it…

Besides, I’d like to help someone out by buying theirs.

I personally wouldn’t waste my money on a pakistani set. From what I’ve heard, they can barely play remotely in tune, and the plastic reeds are so absolutely terrible that they pretty much can’t be played. at all. Now, if you wanted to learn the fingering and such, I did run by a whistle maker who was making a specialized whistle with the Uilleann Pipe fingering. I don’t recall the name of the maker, and can’t seem to find the webpage again, but it might be worth looking into if you can find it. ๐Ÿ™‚

The Pakistani made sets can be awful and could actually set your progress back. It would be like trying to learn on something that won’t really work.
You’d be much better off waiting for the Daye set or you could order from Seth Hamon either. He makes a polymer cast chanter which works great and is great value too.
http://www.swedishbagpipes.com/uilleann.html

Tommy

You can get a Bb whistle, drill or file a hole in the back for the thumb and one in the bottom for the Eb, and with a bit of masking tape and a file, get a reasonable sounding chanter substitute that works on and off the knee (on the knee kind of mutes the sound instead of stopping it, and you have to be careful with your teeth when popping’ but it works pretty well). Stick a cushion under each arm to squeeze if you want to develop those muscles that are going to give you grief very soon. By the time your pipes arrive, you will be used to the fingering, and the whistle still comes in handy for quiet practise or quick workouts. Have fun and good luck.

Posted by .

You can get a kazoo, and drill holes in it, then put it under a wheel of a car then run over it. It won’t play at all, but it’s one less of the barstewards.

It’ll probably still play better than Pakistani pipes.

I had a half set of Pakistani pipes in my workshop many years ago - I was given them to make a chanter reed after Ralph Hepburn had made drone reeds. The pipes played remarkably well (the first reed I put in played in tune). A friend was impressed and bought them.
The problem is, when you come across such a rarity, you’re not not likely "unload" them "super cheap".

Pakistani pipes are shyght. Run away.

If you’re only waiting until July of next year that’s not bad. Cultivate patience, you’re going to need it with the pipes.

yeah , figure out your tunes on the tin whistle, its a perennial favourite for pipers cos its in tune and you just blow in it… ๐Ÿ™‚ unlike the pipes….

I doubt the Pakistani pipes will be a "jump-start" on anything other than sheer bloody frustration.

Ditto! - & they can quite literally stink… ๐Ÿ˜›

how about playing the low D whistle with straight piping fingers on the lower holes for an hour, practice covering up the holes that dont need to be open, so you are ready for the pipes, whilst holding a concrete block under your left arm to develop the squeezing action