Is that a whistle I see?

Re: Is that a whistle I see?

What a splendid lot of portraits. They remind me of people I met in archaeology.

Mind, I can see Galadriel using all her wiles to get out of digging and into a cushy museum job.

You can tell that because she doesn’t have a beard.

For heaven’s sake, what *is* that that Galadriel is holding? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

The Light of the Phallus, of course. To guide you in wet, dark places.

She is holding a highly radioactive planet-friendly community-cuddly light-bulb, expecting her bloke to scale a rickety step-ladder and screw it into a socket dangling high above.

She knows it is a new version of the bulb and that it will not fit the socket. She’s testing him. She’s like that.

There is possibly some sort of displacement thingy going on in her psyche.

I was hasty to imply that not having a beard is unusual among women in archaeology. This is not in fact the case. It is rather that some can cope with being outdoors and others quite soon evince the eerie delicate beauty of hypothermic wraiths. Site directors massage them back into life, pour drink down them and carry them away for special indoor duties.

This is true.

And the beat goes on ~ that whistle appears to be made of horn or bone, at least that appears to be how it is being represented… It’s likely some kind of plastic…

Do they use Susatos in Middle Earth?

I’m pretty sure I was in a band with that Bifur guy near the end. He played bass, as I recall.

I know that dude - he played with Santa Claus. I think it is a low Eb.
And she is holding an elfin laser pointer.

I like Dr Spear’s suggestion. ‘S long as it doesn’t get too hot …

"Do they use Susatos in Middle Earth?.."

Men probably do.

Hobbits I expect shun plastic and play excellently crafted wooden ones passed down through the generations. That is to say, not Generations. Elves probably play these.

Dwarves play the stouter metal ones, which they forge themselves. Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves wind each other up incessantly about each others’ taste in whistles.

Darn, I seem to have missed all of this when I read the books. Clearly I wasn’t paying attention.

There is a reason the Dwarves of Middle Earth never quite discovered Australia.

It is this.

They were nearly there when a sudden AWOM-AWOM-AWOM-BOOM-AWOM! broke out just a few yards in front of them, albeit round several corners of a narrow fissure, in the pitch darkness.

They practically died of fright and turned as white as sheets, though in the pitch darkness this could not be seen. When they came round they crept in mortal silence all the way back up to the Misty Mountains.

It had been an Australian Dwarf chilling out with his didge during a tea break.

Australian Dwarves didn’t extend their delvings to such an ambitious extent as Middle Earth Dwarves. As their bedrock consisted of pure mineral wealth, they didn’t need to - they would just pop down a modest shaft and come up with a few rocks of gold, iron, copper, platinum, whatever it was they needed there and then. They lived an idyllic life, in fact, rather as hobbits did in Middle Earth, basing their existence on beer, music and having a nice time rather than on a driving work ethic. Being periodically scooped up by Men for Dwarf-hurling competitions was a bit of a drag, but they coped.

Hence, they did not try to dig their way up to Middl;e Earth.

Which is why they’re not in Tolkein!๐Ÿ™‚.

low D

Bofur is Jimmy Nesbitt form Norn Iron hence the whistle. It was either that or a petrol bomb ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by .

But nicholas, as you know, they did get as far as New Zealand. Otherwise there’d be no movies.

A hookah!