Flute players using a Rudall & Rose as a regular session instrument?

Flute players using a Rudall & Rose as a regular session instrument?

Just wondering if there were flute players out there using Rudall & Rose flutes as their regular session instrument? Does your R&R or R&R Carte have a serial number? I’m interested, as I bought a Rudall at a auction some weeks ago, and play it now regularly. It plays well in tune with A=440. The Chiff & fipple site seems to be down these last few days so The session is the place to be

Re: Flute players using a Rudall & Rose as a regular session instrument?

christine dowling from belfast have rudall & rose flute and she use it on daily base. as i know this is her only flute …….
marin

She also plays it on Wooden Flute Obsession volume 3.

I used to play, for 20 years or so, an old Rudall & Rose flute, 8 sterling silver keys, boxwood with ivory rings, a lovely thing, as my everyday flute (my only flute!)

It tuned in perfectly to modern pitch and had a lovely tone. It lacked the reedy power of a Pratten style flute, so I sold it and went the Pratten route.

Do you remember the serial number Richard?. The one I now have is no. 7103, a Rudall Carte, with a lot of volume when needed. I was surprised that it played well in modern tuning.

I haven’t noticed any C & F downtime

…Oh, I take that back - something is very wrong over on that side
of the fence

Grinter’s flutes are based on the R&R Wylde flutes that he used as a prototype. I played one as my main flute for years before getting one of Grinter’s first flutes in 2000. As far as I know, Kevin Crawford also plays one of these because he showed me the flute Grinter gave him in 1999 that prompted me to order one. When I held my R&R Wylde next to it, it was identical in every detail except for the lining in the key joints.

(and the playing) 😉

Rudall & Rose as a regular session instrument?

Christy Barry, Jimmy Noonan and Catherine McEvoy— all great players.

Yes, Kevin was playing well when we saw him on the Pure Irish Drops tour and he turned up at the Copenhagen Folk Club a month or so ago. He was playing a Frankengrinter composed of the old blackwood Grinter body and a new cocus wood Grinter headjoint. It sounded fine. At the Copenhagen Irish festival a couple of weeks ago, Nick was there with his Rudall, and Tim was playing a boxwood keyed Murray. Both flutes sounded fine. Hammy Hamilton was there too at the session, but it was hard to hear him in the mix. I think Davy Maguire was there sans flute, but I don’t know what he looks like. There was a young blond girl playing a boxwood flute too. I took the Rudall for the first session outing and it went fine.

Thanks David, I didn’t know Christy and Jimmy played Rudalls.

Christy has been playing a Grinter in sessions a lot in recent years. That’s not to say that he doesn’t play others, of course.

No I don’t have the serial number unless I can find an old insurance document… I had that thing insured, which included a detailed description as I recall.

It was a lovely flute, ivory rings, including tiny rings on either side of the tuning slide. The slide itself was covered with a thin sheath of boxwood. The endcap was solid ivory with an ivory tuning screw. Three pewter plugs on the footjoint.

The condition was fantastic, no cracks anywhere and the pewter plugs sealed great and the flute would play a strong low C.