Speaking of Party Pieces….

Speaking of Party Pieces….

Anyone know any really good flute “party pieces” besides Kenny’s Favorite? I’m looking for a nice 3-5 part tune with an especially strong beat. Well, that’s a bit of an oxymoron as the vast majority of tunes have a strong beat, if you play it right, but still. 🙂

Re: Speaking of Party Pieces….

Colonel Fraser is a nice show-off piece for a lot of pipers, but it works very well on flute too.

I think I remember hearing someone who used the Mason’s Apron in G as a flute party piece…

The Gold Ring?

Various versions of this tune, but this five-parter is the one that I like:

https://thesession.org/tunes/1371

- goes well on flute or whistle …

.. and has an interesting legend associated with it!

I don’t think of the Gold Ring as a “party piece.” The only difficult part, for me anyway, is remembering which parts go where. But all the parts are dead easy.

Really, though, a “party piece” should be something that you can play well and which showcases your strengths as a player. It doesn’t have to demand technical mastery like those scary Skinner strathspeys, or have a squillion parts like the Gold Ring. It just has to make you look good.

I prefer the usual, 7-parter.

Why limit yourself to 1 tune? If it is your time to shine put a set together.
And if you do “The Mason’s Apron” be prepared to be compared to that fella… Matt.. oh whatshisname… it’s on the tip of my tongue.

Molloy. or Orlaith McAuliffe.

By the way, a “tune with an especially strong beat” is not an oxymoron but a tautology. That’s just the opposite. 🙂

And on his album “Farewell To Foggy Hills” multi-instrumentalist Gordon Tyrall plays this terrific show off reel set:

Trim the Velvet - The Gravel Walks - The Glass of Beer

Well, the latter is just a two part single reel, but the first two should serve your purpose. Lots of fun.

https://thesession.org/tunes/1142
https://thesession.org/tunes/42

The Belfast Hornpipe only has three parts but has the virtue of sounding clever - quite a showpiece - while being quite easy to play. *And* it’s a nice tune!

Mind, I play it on whistle, not flute.

Okay, thanks! Good suggestions so far, I’ll definitely look into them. And come to think of it, (I don’t know why I didn’t think about it earlier) sets are welcome.

Was it “An Chúilfhionn” that John Doherty interpreted in that funny, changing meter? I remember some discussion about it here, about it being very amusing to hear but impossible to dance to. I’ve always enjoyed listening to it and have yet heard someone play it at a party.

And of course there’s the Foxhunter’s, if you can make your instrument sound like baying hounds destroying a yelping fox.

Funnily enough, I was playing in the pub last night with Orlaith McAuliffe and (as well as all sorts of other lovely playing!) she did her stunning version of My Son’s A Prune.

The Little Cascade
Lord Gordon’s
College Groves
Jenny’s Welcome To Charlie
The Fox Hunt – although I’ve only ever heard it played on the pipes, it might be interesting to do it on the flute.

Posted by .

The Fox Chase.. that’s what I meant, not Foxhunter’s. Finbar Furey does a heck of a job of it. 🙂