Concertina fingering - g minor

Concertina fingering - g minor

Hi, I’m working on a g minor tune, and wanted to find out what fingering others have found that works well, particularly for FGAB (with the Bb). Is jumping from the top row to the middle more efficient or switching between the top and bottom rows to have sequential notes on different fingers.

Thanks.

Re: Concertina fingering - g minor

I usually use the F in the middle row (of course), G/A in the inside row, and Bb in the outside row. I find that having them in three different rows, rather than being difficult, actually makes it easier to play the FGAB phrase because it doesn’t let your fingers get tangled up in each other. Playing the G/A in the outside row can be annoying because it ties up your finger which would otherwise be playing the F.

Also, hi Catherine how are you! We haven’t talked in ages.
—Dan

Posted by .

I heard In Memory of Coleman, and decided to master G minor. Lovely Paddy Cronin stuff. I had been doing A on the top row, but there’s the getting down the in and out with A to Bb, and the tie-up with the the F.

How about the upper octave? I have a g minor phrase, (3bag (3ab^f, which I’ve been doing Bb a top row, g middle row, which seems to go better than Bb top row, a and g middle row. But g minor will take a while to get down, mastering the Bb’s.

Hi Dan, doing great! How about you? Concertina’s great, doing more of that than fiddle lately. And somehow for keys I’m familiar with, concertina is easier to learn tunes on. And get to do all the polkas and slides I want to at sessions, just have brushed up on old slides, polkas, barndances, etc I haven’t played in years.

I learned Brendan McGlinchey’s "Splendid Isolation" from Noel Hill, and used F and G in the middle (C) row, A in the G row when preceding or following a Bb, and c as usual in the G row. It required a little re-orientation, but it got easier and works well for those situations.

Remember you have a push-A on the outer row. Very handy🙂

Glad to hear you’re getting on well, Cath! Sorry I can’t be of more help in the high octave…I don’t play any "actual" G minor tunes, just A minor tunes transposed down to the flat key. Not many, if any of them, have a high C, which would transpose down to high Bb….

—Dan

Posted by .

Rolf - yeah, I was just practicing on that tune, same thing, middle row until I need to go to the Bb, then shifting to the GA on the bottom row.

The A-push works fine for some tunes, but I use it less in G minor tunes because of the shifting from A to F which gets awkward when using the A-push. However, I use it tons when playing A major/minor tunes

Thanks for the ideas.

I’m finally getting In Memory of Coleman, after about 3-4 days of playing it - just takes a while for new fingering patterns to get to my fingers.