Notewothy to abc?

Notewothy to abc?

Any freeware you know of to convert Notewothy files to abc?
The only link I can find on this site doesn’t seem to work for me.
Thanks

Posted by .

Re: Notewothy to abc?

NWC2ABC. If that’s the link on this site, it might be that it’s so old and only works with the earlier versions of NWC, and it converts to an older style of ABC.
It works well enough for general conversion though.

I don’t know much about Noteworthy, but perhaps you could save as midi file then use, say, mid2abc to convert.

Posted by .

@gam: Trouble with doing that is, (assuming that your tune has repeats) is that you will finish up with a double lot of abc code. Workaround is to take repeats out of the source, then add them manually into your output abc code afterwards.

Another problem is that mid2abc is quite buggy. For example, it doesn’t deal with anacrusis properly, and you will tend to finish up with all your barlines in the wrong place.

Another issue is that it it doesn’t generate standard abc code if the tune contains any "swing" - e,g. polkas, hornpipes, strathspeys etc.

@len - notwithstanding my reservations about mid2abc, I can send a you copy of it if you email me via session.org mail and provide me with a standard email address - Mix.

Thanks for the offer Mix but I have now found an audio copy of the tune so I can transcribe it myself. I sort if half knew it but wanted to get it right, as much as any version of a tune is "right", I don’t want any session rants here thank you very much.

Just for interest, does anyone know where I can find NWC2ABC for future use? I can’t find it on google,

Posted by .

Did you try EasyABC?

(just drag and drop the .nwc file to the EasyABC main window).

Noteworthy to abc using EasyABC

Nils, if your conversion works you need to get the word out. Unless they already know about this I think some people on the noteworthy forum would be very interested.

Posted by .

I just dropped a handful of .nwc files onto EasyABC. They seem to have come across fine. I’m on a Mac, so can’t really crosscheck, but I can verify that EasyABC does translate, and instantaneously.

I’ve just tried EasyABC, but it doesn’t work: when I try to open an NWC file it says "Error during conversion of xxx.nwc: unknown version number"

I’ve also tried abc2nwc, but that was also unable to read NWC files (can’t remember what error it gave now)

Doers anyone know of any software that DOES work?

"I’ve also tried abc2nwc, but that was also unable to read NWC files (can’t remember what error it gave now)"

Perhaps it would help if you were able to recall the error.
It works with earlier versions of Noteworthy, and it converts to a longhand abc (doesn’t do < or > for example) but it works well within those parameters.

Late to the party but that’s a brilliant tip and I didn’t know EasyAbc did that.

I’ve got a whole bunch of tunes that I and other people have transcribed using NWC and really didn’t want to put NWC on my new machine - now I don’t have to!