What do you expect from your local Comhaltas?

What do you expect from your local Comhaltas?

Just curious. What do people expect from their local comhaltas?

Do you think they have a duty to put together children’s groups/practices? Organise sessions? Or simply just encourage an interest in traditional music?

What are the good/bad qualities of a comhaltas?

Re: What do you expect from your local Comhaltas?

i think that it depends on where you are. there are a couple local comhaltas branches in my area. one only does ceilis, one is associated with a music school that puts on sessions and workshops, while another is associated with several different music schools that have a branch that does very little as its own entity.

there is a lot of irish music where i am, so the music would be fine without any branch at all. in other places i have been, comhaltas is the backbone of the local irish community.

i like comhaltas events because they allow me to meet people from all over the united states and then qualifying for the all-ireland fleadh is just a good excuse to save up money and go to ireland to have some tunes at non-comhaltas events such as all the great little festivals that are much less congested than the fleadh. even the competitions have their benefits. i never take it all too seriously, and sometimes i disagree with the adjudication, but i always end up learning something from seeing others play and reading the judges’ comments.

Posted by .

I expect them to be open for all streams of music and especially to all innovations in Irish Music , it is after all, folk music, and because it is that it should keep the music alive and not kill it by trying to hold onto a past style or tyoe of instrument etc.

That’s what I expect, however, it’s not what I get

I want them to kill off any local trazz musicians and session wreckers. By that I mean actually bump them off in a dark alley. Unfortunately there is no longer any Comhaltas branch in Sydney - they weren’t willing to carry out the hits.

I was always under the impression that their principal duty was to raise funds for CCE HQ! That maybe the cynics view but it has a germ of truth in it from what I’ve heard of CCE committee meetings.

Posted .

comhaltas?

It has a duty to put together children’s groups/practices

Organise sessions? Can that really happen?

Yeah they should. And local sessions at people’s houses.

Comhaltas should encourage kids and adults alike.

My opinion.