Name that tune!

Name that tune!

Hi, everyone, does anybody know the name of this tune? I picked it up somewhere and always thought it was called the Red Haired Boy. I guess I know about ten times as many tunes as I do names of tunes, and I can never seem to get them to match up.

X:1
T:?
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:Reel
K:G
Bc|dBGA B2 Bc|dBGB A2 AB|cAFA DAFA|GABc d2 Bc|
dBGA B2 Bc|dBGB A2 AB|cAFA G z .e z|dcBA G2 z2:||
G2 Bd g3 f|edcB AGFE|DEFG ABAF|GABc d2 D2|
G2 Bd g3 f|edcB AGFE|DEFG A z .e z|dcBA G2:||

Re: Name that tune!

This definitely isn’t any red haired boy I ever met. I think it’s a Swedish Polska. Fiddlers play those notes with the rests in the second part pizzicato.

No Red Haired boy I know either. I thought Polskas were always triple time tunes, but I’m certainly not sure of that. Looks sort of “polkaish” but not quite…

You’re right. Definitely Scandinavian but maybe not quite a Polska.

It is pretty far removed from a polska (even though there are a few in duple time). “Engelska”, of course, translates as “English”, and the dance (along with some of the tunes) is believed to have come either directly from England, or via France -so the tune, if it were like an engelska, could be English. I don’t think it resembles the typical engelska structure (though I could be proved wrong) - but those pizzicato notes along with the rests have a Danish flavour. Possibly a turdans of some description. There are several ‘totur’ tunes of a similar nature in the books of Danish tunes in my collection. Rather than Karen Myers’ site (a lot more Swedish music than anything else) you might be better checking out http://www.spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/listnode.php .