Introducing Mr. Brown, the bow-tie wearing, banjo playing geometry teacher!

Introducing Mr. Brown, the bow-tie wearing, banjo playing geometry teacher!

Today, my geometry teacher, Mr. Brown brought his banjo, and played a few tunes for the class. He plays bluegrass, but I would like to see him play Jimmy Ward’s, or maybe Jump at the Sun…… Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a video of him playing his banjo, although I hopefully will sometime in the future….

Re: Introducing Mr. Brown, the bow-tie wearing, banjo playing geometry teacher!

From "Improvisation for Guitar", George Golla, 1975 :"As long ago as the 4th century B.C Pythagoras and the Greek thinkers had devised a system which almost corresponds with the series of white keys on the present day pianoforte". So he’s carrying on the tradition…..
Incidentally at our weekly session the publican kindly brought out some pastries for the musicians. Unusually, they were round party pies, because normally the pie are square.
And when I was backing up Mick O’Connor just before he’d change tunes or go into another key he’d give me a sine.

He surely plays for a lot of square dances.

This thread seems to be going off on a tangent…. 🙂

Just out of interest, what is the proper mathematical term for the shape of a bow tie?

At my old school it was the woodwork teacher who played the banjo. I never asked him if he’d made it too. Certainly he was always keen on us planing things square.

@Azle Concertina - when he finished playing, did he say: "Quod erat demonstrandum!" ?

CreadurMawnOrganig: "Just out of interest, what is the proper mathematical term for the shape of a bow tie?"

Quadrilateral, interposed between two 90 degree-rotated and mirrored trapeziums, maybe?

@Mix O’Lydian, no, although I did ask him to show me the basics of finger picking.

I started out playing bluegrass banjo and wound up with an Irish repertoire which I use three fingers to the following effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMiSei85II0

May the cognoscenti pardon the tune choice.

"Quadrilateral, interposed between two 90 degree-rotated and mirrored trapeziums, maybe?"

That would be, "Two 90 degree-rotated and mirrored (isoceles) trapezia, interposed by a quadrilateral (rectangle)",
surely?

…or "Quadrilateral, juxtaposed on opposite sides by two 90 degree-rotated and mirrored trapezia"

Nice playing, Rex. But I couldn’t help wondering why you didn’t go into the higher octave for the B-part.

I instantly imagine him having loud checkered brown and white trousers, a pork pie hat and a red nose. Possibly like some character in a kid’s book I can’t precisely remember.

Ah - it’s the geometry that made me imagine check-pattern trousers…

Mix O’Lydian: "when he finished playing, did he say: ‘Quod erat demonstrandum!’ ?"

Having played some bluegrass, he probably rather said "Quod est absurdum!" . FWIW.

Banjo
Banjas
Banjat
Banjamus
Banjatis
Banjant

Banjator = One who uses banjo as an offensive weapon

🙂

Just hearing his name is enough for me to know he is a fine man, and a pillar of the community.

Well, Al, he is a nice guy, and a West Point graduate as well…..