cannot openMIDI files

cannot openMIDI files

Hi y’all,
Just joined the site as an early mandolin player. Would love to open the midi files but when I click on them Windows 7 says it does not recognize files with an ‘abc’ extension. how do I open these files?
I am fairly audio file savvy but these just fail to open. Any advice appreciated.

Graham

Re: cannot openMIDI files

The .abc files aren’t midi files: they’re supposed to be opened in some ABC software. That ABC software can then generate midi files, sheet music, etc.

You should be able to find some ABC software for Windows 7 here:

http://abcnotation.com/software#win

Thanks for your swift reply - in the meantime I did manage to intuit that there must be an ABC file programme somewhere - and downloaded it from the web - it works fine. However the ‘Download ABC’ button on the ‘Tunes’ page seems to be dead. Maybe a clearer advisory note would be useful?

Also there is a MIDI download button on each tune which is inactive.
Anyway, thanks for this great resource - I managed to upload an ABC file for Sliabh Russell and am busy learning it. What a stunning piece - makes the brain FIZZ!

On my system using Firefox I right click on the MIDI download button which gives me the option to open the link in a new tab. During the opening it asks what program I want to use to open it. I select one of my installed audio players, generally Real Player and the midi opens.

Posted by .

Want to thank deeor…I just downloaded Firefox and once again can get MIDIS to open. Hooray!! Have a large number of tunes in my tunebook and as I was scrolling through got to the Big Reel of Ballycanally (sp?). Couldn’t remember how it started and didn’t want to search through all of my recordings to try to find it (I don’t read music and learn by ear so the dots don’t help much). I know there are many of you who scorn MIDIs and don’t think anyone should be using these EVER, but I for one am really greatful to deeor.

Thanks so much for the help!

addie

Posted by .