Dreaming…..

Dreaming…..

Very hypothetical and will probably turn out controversial, but if you could be any member of any band (traditional or otherwise) who would it be?! Answers on a postcard please…..!!!

Re: Dreaming…..

Louis Armstrong.

The triangle player with Westlife.

Probably one of the Beach Boys. When I was a kid their songs would come on the radio in my dad’s car (a VW bug, before it burst into flames while he was driving it down the highway) and he’d turn up the radio and sing along. It was the coolest thing. Ba ba ba bababaran…

Any member of the 27 club would be way cool!

I have a recurring nightmare where I’m still in a band I used to be in.

Posted .

Re Llig’s last reply, I have a similar recurring nightmare about my last job from which I am now retired. I’m usually intending to hand in my resignation but I’m either too busy or somebody has hidden the forms. 🙁

Re joining a band, I have no real notion to do this although there are many players out there whose “musical company” I enjoy and others with whom I’d like to meet up.

ANY member of ANY band? Wow, that’s undecidable, there are so many I would have loved to be part of, from a music point of view alone: Bruce Foxton of The Jam, any one of Roxy Music, Paul Simon’s ‘You Can Call Me Al’ band, Eoghan O’Neill (Moving Hearts), anything in Madness, Blondie, the Kinks, gah, it’s endless.

An ideal would be even more of an impossibility: I would like McCartney’s bass playing and melodic creativity, combined with Lennon’s personality and way with words.

…traditional music is something else, the question doesn’t seem appropriate somehow.

David

Cheers Tracie. Yeah, I know now that the song is Barbara Ann. But in my mind it’s still “Ba ba ba bababaran,” just like my dad sang it.

…and that was a primary source, too, not the Internets!

I thought it was Bar Bar Bar Bar Bar Bodhran !

Curse you, Peter! Now I have to write the rest of that song.

I wonder if Jimi Hendrix could have used a box player?

No

The other one. I am older than that- t0 the point I gave up whiskey for the sake of my liver, but drink better win than Sangria 🙂

Altan, because Mairead is desperately in love with me, and has promised to sing me to sleep every night if I join the band. She is sending her private jet to pick me up (in my dream, all members of Irish bands are fabulously wealthy…)

I don’t have to be in Dervish.

When I watch one of their tracks on YouTube (and I think they do a splendid take on An t-Ull), I just sit back and watch Cathy Jordan as she advances in my direction with whoops and waggles and hands flying around the place and beady eyes and stuff, and I know, I just *know*, it’s all for me…

I always had a hankering to play fourth trumpet in Woody Herman’s Thundering Herd.

Alec Finn or Brian May. It’s the hair.

Before being a member of a real or fantastical band in the present day, I would like to have an extended career as a shape-shifter in the past.

I would be Liam O’Flynn, playing Junior Crehan’s Favourite (The Knotted Cord) on the whistle just after a sad Planxty number (Sweet Thames Flow Softly, on the record), the tune flowing ineffably out over a vast hushed audience of impressionable people who were new to Irish music.

I would move on to the Bothy Band, and be Matt Molloy playing the Kid On The Mountain set. Then I would join De Danann as Martin O’Connor, playing box through The Arrival Of The Queen Of Sheba. The Battlefield Band would host me next, where I would be Ged Foley playing The Keelman Over The Land in one of the best recorded arrangements of Northumbrian pipes music ever, IMO, and be Duncan MacGillivray playing the Highland bagpipes in their rousing Thief Of Lochaber set.

And so on.

But I would draw the line at changing sex, or becoming a fiddler.

The ‘masseur’ for ‘Girls Aloud’

The band of my now dreams hasn’t (yet) come into being. Nor could I create or join it - I don’t have the drive to put into anything relating to such a commitment, proper practice included, and as I didn’t acquire omnicompetence on my instruments earlier in life, I don’t expect to now. I’m quite glad to have got to where I’ve got to, and to hang in with and listen to people who really *are* thoroughgoing experts.

Dr. Dow said in his profile that he rather thought Northumbrian music would become bigger, and hoped it would happen in his lifetime. The band of my dreams would be one based in Northumbrian music with the stature and nature of The Bothy Band - uncompromising in the authority of its music, almost unbelievable to sit in front of. Maybe it could only come about through some obscure catalyst of the zeitgeist or of unfolding history. Maybe I’m simply stuck in the Seventies - but if I am, the Irish music of the decade is the best part of it to be stuck in 🙂!

Another band floated into my dreamspace, not necessarily destined to become a vehicle of epoch-making musical might but just maybe with a place for me in it.

I don’t have a name for it but I do have an album cover.

In Durham (UK) there is a shopping centre called The Gates. If all the shops aren’t boarded up, most of the people sure look it. In amongst this are (I think…) two giant photo-spreads, each showing a line of young, lithe, snazzily-clad people showing their super-abundant healthy fitness by jumping, waving and shouting in a hyper-enthusiastic manner.

The album cover will feature prominently one of these photo-spreads.

At its feet will be my dream band. It will contrast piquantly with the photos. In fact, its overall demeanour and appearance will make The Sex Pistols look like The Osmonds. This will make the shopping centre want to remove the photo-spreads out of sheer embarrassment, but our fanbase will rally to prevent this and clone and tribute bands will have their photos taken underneath for evermore. They will trenchantly refuse to pay the shopping centre any fee for the privilege, and in due course the area will become a large, jumbled, chaotic shrine.

I am working on the track list, which will include:

1. I Am In My Feet

This astounding and majestic Gaelic song has long been one of our showstoppers. We have taken it round the world. But not to Gaelic areas. This is because we wrote it. The band’s fresh approach to the medium of Gaelic has regrettably caused conservative gate-keepers in these places to react with unbecoming and sometimes alarming obstreperousness to our renditions.

2. Crabs In The Gusset

This fiery set of jigs will give anybody the itch to get moving.

3. The Extraction Of The Teeth

A ghostly pibroch picked out by a band member sampling - as one does - sounds randomly recorded in Glasgow. It is obviously a subconscious expression of Glaswegian spirituality.

4. Traditional Calls For Calling Taxis

Recorded in Durham’s Drinking Quarter, a tucked-away dingle where banshees howl and cavort.

5. Traditional Calls For Calling Banshees

Recordings of men calling banshees, and banshees calling each other, in the same location.

6. The Noodlebar Reels

Named for my favourite noodle bar - not to be confused with Castlebar / Dunbar / other.

The remaining tracks haven’t come to mind yet.🙂

I’d be the electric bass player with Altan (running for cover…)

Posted by .

I’m surprised no one has said they would like to be Michael Coleman’s accompanist!