Funny Tunes (hehe, here we go…)

Funny Tunes (hehe, here we go…)

This may be absolute complete and total jibberish, but I’ll try. So, I’m looking for some "funny tunes." Not necessarily tunes with funny names, but tunes that are more or less funny just in themselves. You could say that I’m looking for tunes that put a smile to your face and make you start cracking up because it’s just a… humorous tune. I really don’t know a better way to say it, but I’ve heard a few tunes in the past that make me want to laugh. I have no idea why, they just do (and of course, with my luck, I didn’t catch any names/recordings of them). Does that make any sense at all? The closest tune/set that I’ve found to what I’m looking for is Danu’s The Wonder/Impish Hornpipe set. Any other suggestions?

Re: Funny Tunes (hehe, here we go…)

I always find the ‘Theme from the Archers’ to be funny, and I play it on my fiddle as a joke. It always cheers me up.

Posted by .

Oh yes, and it then works seriously well if you break straight into a rollicking Devils Dream.

Posted by .

Barwick Green? Fun, yes, but I don’t see it as funny. Maybe I live too close to Barwick in Elmet!

how about "The Funny Reel"?

The Raggle Taggle Gypsy is pretty hysterical, to me at least. Either Planxty or the Bothy Band does it.

Ebor, is Barwick Green the proper name for the Archers theme? I Didn’t know that. Maybe funny isn’t the right word for this one, but it’s incredibly jolly and uplifting. On those grounds Billy Connelly claims that it should be the British National anthem.

Posted by .

Imagine in the London Olympics, if an English gold medallist had stood on the podium and instead of ‘God Save The Queen’, they played the Theme from the Archer’s. Then it would be very funny.

Posted by .

How about Tommy Peoples playing Mouse in the Attic followed by The Fat Cat (completely with bowed meows…)?

Or "complete with…" at least

"Pat the Budgie" always makes me laugh, or at least brings a smile to my grumpy puss 🙂

Mahog, I think you are having us on! You can’t really be a grumpy puss. Your many humerous comments give you away. But I must look up this ‘Pat the Budgie’. Even the title makes me laugh.

Posted by .

Try this

Take a common traditional tune in a MAJOR key. Jigs work well. Let’s think: Irish Washerwoman, The Kesh, Drops of Brandy, or try a reel like Sally Gardens, Concertina or Merry Blacksmith or indeed The Archers’ Barwick Green as mentioned above. Or even the Trumpet Hornpipe (with apologies to Kenny). You know, something you could almost play backwards, it’s so familiar.

Then play it flattening the thirds, sixths and sevenths (in G, play Bb instead of B, Eb instead of E, Fnatural instead of Fsharp; if you’re in D, play Fnatural instead of Fsharp, Bb instead of B and Cnatural instead of Csharp).

It can be hilarious (or annoying) in a session. Go on, try it. Sing or play through Dingle Regatta with the thirds, sixths and sevenths flat, slowing it down a little and putting in some dynamics. Actually, Kenny, the Trumpet Hornpipe is somewhat improved by doing this - though ‘improved’ might not be the word, given the starting point. 8))

Regards
David

Oh goody!!! It looks like yall understood me! 😀 Although, I’m afraid I’ll be out of town for the weekend, so I won’t get to try any for a couple days. 🙁 But thanks for the suggestions so far!

There’s a jig whose name I’ve forgotten, which for whatever reason always makes me imagine Father Ted running down a steep field pursued by a flock of angry nuns, the whole scene being viewed as from the safety of a helicopter above and to the side of it all. This qualifies it as a funny tune, as far as I’m concerned! I’ve forgotten if there really was such an incident in the series.

In ABCs, the tune (6/8, in G Major) begins as follows:

|DEG EDB,| DEG B3| DEG B2A | B2e dBG | DEG EDB, | DEG B3 | d#cd gfe | dBA G3 | …

I don’t claim this is necessarily the (most) correct version. But maybe someone can recognise it and put a name to it. 🙂

I’ve just discovered the Blue Jig from the Session’s tune section & the fusion of jazzy bluesy nuances with a rollicking jig rhythm certainly makes me smile. Recommend!

the dingle regatta is quite humerous with its little jumps between the octaves

Rather than playing with the key by flattening notes it may be more humerous to jiggify a popular (the more popularly tedious the better) hit from the hit parade. I can’t do it but think of Gypsy Kings version of Hotel California. I guess you have to be a better musician than me to do it very well (there are a lot of lot better musicians than me). I love tunes out of theur context. It’s so funny when you eventually realise that you are dancing a reel to Barbie Girl (as a wild suggestion).

Re: Barbie Girl

Heh heh…

X:0
T:Barbie Girl
K:G
BGBe cAGc | AFAd B2AG | ~G2GE AE~E2 | ~A2AG BA~A2 | …

the Happy Polka, is just so happy..

‘Saddle the Pony’ (G) … on fiddle, play all the fingered notes a 1/4 tone flat, then the sound worsens as the open strings are played 🙂

I’ve always thought that ‘Off She Goes’ was a funny / donkey tune, with its similarity to ‘Pop Goes the Weasel’.

A virtuoso rendition of PGTW here :

(PGTW starts at 00’50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKdCnp0EePQ

I reckon that Gam is right; it’s all in he way you play it. And on that I believe that Victor Borge’s piano jokes must surely be the funniest musical joke of all time. But another one that I often play as a joke (to myself) is the theme from Wallace and Grommit. I even made a stranger laugh one day when I was unthinkingly whistling my version of it in a supermarket.

Posted by .

What about that tum-ti-tum, ti tum-ti tum they play for Laurel & Hardy shorts? That ought to raise a smile … don’t know what it’s called, though.

fiddle aunt you haven’t whatched the videoes posted have you? that can be your homework for today lol

Posted by .

The Pippi Langstrumpf polka goes down well over here
https://thesession.org/tunes/7816
because everybody seems to know the kids’ movie from the Seventies.

Posted by .

Ooh, sorry - but you ought to know, retired teachers never do their homework! 🙂

<<What about that tum-ti-tum, ti tum-ti tum they play for Laurel & Hardy shorts?>>

<<That ought to raise a smile … don’t know what it’s called, though.>>

I think it’s called Dance of the Cuckoo. Can anyone confirm that?

David

’ I think it’s called dance of the Cuckoo’
I know it as ‘The cuckoo waltz’

Posted by .

Drat - Safari playing up.

‘Nellie the Elephant’

People always look puzzled until the penny drops

Follow it with the ‘Teddy Bears Picnic’

<<‘Nellie the Elephant’

People always look puzzled until the penny drops

Follow it with the ‘Teddy Bears Picnic’>>

At a June wedding ceili, try following it with ‘Walking in a Winter Wonderland’, another jiggy tune. It takes time to sink in as much of the first few bars is the same note.