new youtube clip

new youtube clip

Hi all,

I have been with the session for about a decade now. I have always been nervous to post video’s and probably wouldn’t. Anyway, along with any critiques I would like to ask what style I am playing in. I have been playing my whole life and dont associate my music with any particular style.

Wish me luck,
Cheers

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zTd6I9EKrOY

Re: new youtube clip

You’re exactly the kind of bodhran player I like. Good, but not too good.

Your friend on the flute plays nicely too. 🙂

im the flute

Does a style have to have a name? You have a very nice style - strongly rhythmic, with a percussive attack (Yes, I am talking about the flute playing🙂). It reminds me somewhat of John McKenna (I thought that even before you went into the reel commonly known as McKenna’s), so I suppose that might make it a Leitrim style. But, not being a flute player or connoisseur of flute playing, I might be missing some essential features that mark it out as something else .

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Please post some more.

Yes it does remind me somewhat of the leitrim/sligo style of flute playing. To be honest with trad Irish music going global and being more widely available and accessible these days, it is harder to define styles of playing. I think in the future it will be harder and harder to define regional styles. I myself am from the midlands area of Ireland and I don’t really define myself as having a particular style of whistle/flute playing having picked up bits and pieces from listening to many players and trying to develop a music style/personality of my own. Fair play to you for posting the video and keep playing!

Posted by .

Danceable! 😀

Nice job. Who made your flute, there’s a nice bark to it.

Mick

Love it!!

I’d be happy if I could play like that. Good man yourself.

Posted by .

Well played! I’m not sure what “style” to call it; it just sounds to me like a good Irish style. Keep it up!

You have your own unique style!🙂 Keep playing! Good luck!