Male/Female duet traditional songs

Male/Female duet traditional songs

Can anyone out there recommend some traditional songs that would be suitable for a male/female to sing together in the style that the male would sing a verse then the female etc? We don’t speak Irish so only English language songs would work. Thanks a million!!

Posted by .

Re: Male/Female duet traditional songs

It isn’t traditional, but my wife and I like to sing a song called The Briar and the Rose in the same manner Niamh Parsons did on one of her records. But that is harmonization, not alternating verses.

The Keys of Canterbury

Posted .

I’m thinking along the lines of Johnny and Molly on the first Dolores Keane album or The Banks of the Nile. A comical one between the man and woman would also be great.

Posted by .

My Boy Billy.

Paper of Pins

The Waxie’s Dargle could work,trading lines,instead of verses

‘Riddle ballads’ would work well - e.g. ‘The Frost is all over’ as sung by Planxty, with emendation of pronouns - ‘What would you do if the kettle boiled over? - What would I do, only fill it again?’

And there’s another dialogue, between father & daughter, in ‘The Bonny Boy is young but a-growing’.

And between mother & son in ‘Lord Randal’, ‘Edward’, ‘Green & yellow’ etc.
Sorry - wish I didn’t get ideas in instalments now, like senior moments - I’ll keep quiet now! 🙂

The Two Magicians especially the "Bide, Lady Bide" version.

Not exactly ITM but "There’s a hole in my bucket".

Or "Oh no John, no John, no"

Or for a really hackneyed one "Fairytale of New York"

Here’s a wonderful version of Killkelly from Music at Matt Molloy’s. You’ll hear some harmony and there’s no reason why man and woman cannot alternate verses. It’s a great song that tells a compelling tale over a span of many years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhRb_RWRV0

Posted by .

Raggle Taggle Gypsy

If you’re still looking Cunla is another good one . i would use the lyrics from Christy Moore’s 1st album, Paddy on the Road,whichis more complete(and sexier) than the Planxty version although of course musically the Planxty version is superior