So - what about the Welsh?

So - what about the Welsh?

Shamed just now into admitting that I know almost no Welsh folk tunes - Ap Shenkin, The Ash Grove & Captain Morgan’s March - I’m wondering if there are any Welsh sessioneers who could name a few more? And can you say what makes a tune sound Welsh, musically? Or provide a bit of background on transmission & collection?
I am happy to say that as far as I know I don’t have any ancestors who oppressed the Welsh peasantry, btw.

Re: So - what about the Welsh?

:( Just listened to it. ‘An Italian-style tune’, hey? Not too far from Wales, then.

Right Fiddle Aunt - Get learning : )
jim,,,
X:175
T:Evans’ Jigg
R:Jig
O:Wales
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:Am
e|a>ba ^g^fg|a3 f>gf|e>fe d>cd|1 e>de A2e:|2 e3 -e3:|!
|:e|g>ag geg|f>gf fdf|e>fe d>ec|B>AG G2d|!
g>ag f>gf|e>fe d>ec|B>cA A>B^G|A3 -A2:|!
X:388
T:John David’s cat
P:AABBAA
K:D
f|a2f d2f|edB A2b|a2g fge|d3 z2:|!
e|f2f f2d|gab a2g|fga agf|e3 fga:|!
X:69
T:Welsh Reel (1)
T:Pant Coran yr Wyn (The Lambs Fold Vale)
R:Reel
F:http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/gettune/0000073b.abc
Z:Richard Robinson <URL:http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/contact.html>;
M:4/4
K:G
%%ID:0000073b
D|\
G2GA B2G2|c2cB A2c2|B2G2 GABc|d2A2 F2D2|\
G2GA B2G2|c2cB A2c2|B2G2 FGAF|G4 G3::
A|\
B2d2 d2cB|A2c2 B2A2|B2G2 GABc|d2A2 F2D2|\
G2GA B2G2|c2cB A2c2|B2G2 FGAF|G4 G3:|
X:590
T:Difyrch gwyr Llanfabon
F:http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/gettune/000009eb.abc
Z:Richard Robinson <URL:http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/contact.html>;
M:4/4
K:A
%%ID:000009eb
AB |\
c2c2 c2e2|A2A2 A3B|c2d2 e2g2|e6 d2|\
c2c2 c2e2|B2B2 B3c|d2d2 cBAB|A6:|
|:fg|\
a2a2 e2fg|a2a2 e2fg|a2a2 bagf|e6 de|\
f2f2 B2de|f2f2 B2ga|b2a2 g2f2|e6 ed|
c2c2 c2e2|A2A2 A3c|c2c2 d2f2|e6 fg|\
a2a2 g3g|f2f2 e3e|d2f2 edcB|A6|]
X:195
T:Fourposter bed, The
K:D
e^de gfe|e^de gfe|e2^d e2a|f3 d3:|!
|:e2d cBA|e2d cBA|d2d e2a|f3 d3:|!

I’ve got a pile, along with Cornish tunes and Manx tunes. I’ll try to post some up in the coming week. If I don’t, feel free to message me and I can put together an abc file and send it by email.

Posted by .

Thanks for the responses so far. I shall set my husband ‘The Pianist’ working on the abc notation. 🙂

As I recollect, The Penny Whistle Book by Robin Williamson, which I used when starting out, had some nice tunes from all corners of Britain and Ireland. And of course, like all tune books, despite the penny whistle mentioned in the title, they are suitable for all instruments.

On the radio this weekend I heard Welsh versions of Tail Toddle (ffidl ffadl) and Soldier’s Joy.

I gave up playing Welsh music after spraining my little finger twice — a year apart — playing for the same Welsh dancers.

Welsh dancers are a bit wild, then? I think I have ffidl ffadl on an old LP & will look it up. Thanks, Tracie.
I am very grateful for all these replies.
FIDDLE4, I just tried your tunes & they’re lovely. Simple but melodic.
Thank you, Gallopede - liked your remarks on the English thread, btw.
Thanks, Goldfrog, for the St David’s Day tune, which is very pick-up-able.
Malik, please do remember to send me the Welsh, Cornish & Manx tunes - sounds fab!
Mr Al Brown, I’ll look up the Penny Whistle Book. You are always helpful & I printed out your article on Folk Tunes, which is so lucid.
There are some very nice people on this site; very helpful people; and the Tunes section is wonderful of course.
🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 - Live long & prosper!

And of course, before I forget - thank you, Jeremy!

Kilbride brothers are quite well known for Welsh fiddle stuff. I have a mate who plays welsh harp music transcribed from old harp manuscripts, can’t remember the name of the composer offhand, but some of the music is great.

Tune books inc:

Cadw Twmpath - one of the standard rep books

Blodau ‘r Grug - also a standard book.

Alawon John Thomas (also affectionately known as The Willie Tunes for obvious reasons) - this is a collection by Cass Meurig, a very good fiddle and Crwth player who has unfortunately move from our local area now. She is a sad loss to the sessions over here. This is the most interesting book on the scene in my opinion because it is a transcription of an 18th century fiddler’s tune book. The titles are a mix of English and Welsh and some of the tunes are still extant in sessions today all over mainland Britain. That is; they are not all claiming to be Welsh This is true diving into the archive stuff - but hey!

Many of the tunes are obviously written on the harp - full of arpeggio passages. Often they are triple harp tunes, which means that they can be quite chromatic i.e. difficult on diatonic instruments. D minor is used a lot for some reason. I often sit in sessions and wish I played a chromatic instrument because of this.

Here are a few of my current favourites:

Diferiad y Gerwyn (The Droppings of the Mash Tub) . It has a really conversational appeal to it and is played a lot around the Northern area nowadays. (This is in the Willie Tunes)

Tri Chant o Bunnau (Three Hundred Pounds) - this would be a great fiddle tune. It can be played as a slow (but not solemn) air, or a more lively jig I think (althugh the former is more appealing to me).

Meillionen - usually a fairly steady 4/4 feel.

Machynlleth - very well known faster 4/4 time four part tune. Quite arpeggiaic and hard on the fiddle or so I’m told. Good lively tune.

Ty Coch Caerdydd (Red House) - nicely stonking fiddle tune or slow dainty dance - I prefer the stonk.

9/8 s include Bwced (Bucket - believe it or not and I haven’t a clue why!), Jig y Tebot (teapot jig - actually a modern tune by Dick Lee which has been absorbed into Welsh trad. It may be played in Scotland but I’ve not heard it outside Wales). Hoffed ap Hywel (ap Hywel’s Fancy) is a good one to go with it although it is also in G. It has a completely different feel which mitigates the harmonic feeling of being in a car park as opposed to on a pleasant country walk.

Another favourite is Dyn o’r Geg, a gypsy tune by Eldra Jarman (harp player). you’ll find that on one of the Crasdant CDs - can’t remember which, played by Stephen Rees on accordion (brilliantly).

There are tons of others and if you need to hear them I’m not sure where there are specific recordings. I’m not actually very good with tune names unfortunately. If absolutely pushed I could try and do some recording for you but will send them in a message - call me chicken!

CDs and artists - the aforementioned Crasdant, Calan, Kilbrides, anything by Cass Meurig and Nial Cain (there are only 2 CDs but they are gorgeous), Pigyn Clust, and the rest ….

I hope this gives you some bits and pieces to go on. There is a very lively session scene here, which has come through some odd times and out the other side fine and healthy and unique.

Have fun - hwyl fawr!

“Blodau’r Grug: 100 Popular Welsh Folk Dance Tunes”

Selected, arranged and revised by Alex Hamilton & Robin Huw Bowen
Cymdeithas Ddawns Werin Cymru = The Welsh Folk Dance Society, 1992

I stumbled across this just now. I’m guessing you’ve already done a search on site, as there’s quite a bit in all the different databases ~ recordings / tunes / discussions… Any of our dear friend Robin Huw Bowen’s work is worth chasing up, but a good first start, dot-wise, would be this collection.

Here’s one search for you to give a go, and hopefully it will be a pleasant exploration. Go to ‘THE SESSION’, that mustard rectangle in the upper left hand corner, and click on it. Then, without selecting anything, enter just Blodau’r and do a search… It will give you a few tunes to have a go at, but there are actually quite a few on site.

How could I forget my all time favourite Welsh tune

Morfa’r Frenhines - brilliant tune although I am not familiar with the third part as written on this site.

Fantastic, eiluned! Thank you so much for taking the trouble. It will take me a while, but I’ll definitely be looking into this lot. Lovely. 🙂

Thanks also ceolachan: again, I won’t be able to get round to this at once, but it’s nice to have so many suggestions on this thread. Tunes to keep me happy for months to come. 🙂

No problem - tunes are there to be played, shared, enjoyed and loved otherwise they languish in dusty archives.

@peter wsll could it be the ap Huw manuscripts?

Robert ap Huw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_ap_Huw

Tunes from the manuscripts of ~

“Llewelyn Alaw: Llyfr Alawon Poced / Pocket Tune-Book”
edited and arranged by Robin Huw Bowen - Gwasg Teires, 1990 - a collection of 32 tunes…

“Mary Richards Darowen: Llyfr Alawon Poced / Pocket Tune-Book”
edited and arranged by Robin Huw Bowen - Gwasg Teires, 1991 - a collection of 32 tunes…

John Parry Ddal Rhiwabon: Llyfr Alawon Poced / Pocket Tune-Book”
edited and arranged by Robin Huw Bowen - Gwasg Teires, 1991 - a collection of 32 tunes…

I was sure I had a 4th but seem to have misplaced it?! 😏

&

"Tro llaw: 200 o bibddawnsiau ‘Cymreig’ o Lyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru / 200 ‘Welsh’ Hornpipes from the National Library of Wales"
edited, arranged, and tunes given ‘Welsh’ names ~ by Robin Huw Bowen, 1987

That’s it! Thanks Na éisc. I still need to figure out where I’ve put that… 😏

Suddenly, like in a pantomime, I’m hearing in my head "It’s behind you!" There is a bookcase looming behind me… 😀 Now I’m thinking ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’ ~ bookcase to the left of me, bookcase to the right of me…

Cheers, c. It’s a wonderful tune collection & worth highlighting on this thread. But if you go back up to one of eiluned’s earlier post it’s right there.

Posted by .

about 512 hits on "wales" on John Chambers site. 54 hits on "welch." I have 100 welch tunes from John Chambers site, 20 or so from Richard Robinson’s site, and 43 from Jem Hammond’s workshops that he made available. OK, that’s dots. I only play a handful, and probably more Manx things than Welch.

This is so nice of everyone. And repetitions don’t matter a jot - shows me where the consensus is. Thank you all so much.

Unfortunately last time I enquired, Tro Llaw was out of print. We had temporarily mislaid our copy. It is a great collection.

Another good tune from it which you’ll find on one of the Crasdant CDs is Mympwy Portheinon (The Portheinon Whim). This is not strictly a Welsh tune I believe, but has come into the tradition and was named by Robin HB.

Thanks again, eiluned. Sometimes it’s possible to find second-hand copies of these things on Amazon so we can hope for the best. I look forward to making the acquaintance of these tunes over the next few months. (So many tunes - so little time. 🙂 )
Have a great week!

Some other books:

New book of Welsh Fiddle Tunes by Sian Phillips with the printers (Schott music).
Clera (www.clera.org) publish two books, Pwt with 200 simple tunes and CDs aimed at children, and Hobed, the music for Y Glerorfa.

Caneuon Traddodiadol y Cymry (songs) by Arfon Gwilym (Cwmni Cyhoeddi Gwynn).

🙂 Thank you very much, Barti Ddu.

Siân’s recording:
https://thesession.org/recordings/2247
( No, not the one with the CBE 😏 )

I’d forgotten about her collection, but I haven’t seen it myself yet…

Yes Na éisc, I’d read it much earlier and then forgotten as I got caught up in trying to find my copy…

Thanks, ceolachan. The answer to the OP’s question ‘So - what about the Welsh’ would seem to be that they - and others with Welsh affiliations - are an exceptionally helpful bunch of people! 🙂

"Y Lancers" / "The Lancers" ~ something from the archives for you 😎

https://thesession.org/tunes/12584

This is a good example of how things crossover, ‘The Lancers’ being one of the main quadrilles, square sets, that found home in many places, including, for a few examples, Jamaica, Finland, Russia, South Africa, and all the other usual places, not forgetting the Canadian Maritimes and Mexico… 😉 Oh, and those ‘usuals’ ~ England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, The Isle of Man, Ireland ~ and various other parts of Europe, West and East, North and South… It was also part of the Fords’ (Henry & Clare) revival of old time dancing in the early 1900s, which also resulted in publications that were popular and circulated all over ~ "Good Morning: Music, Calls, And Directions for Old-Time Dancing", including the music…

Interesting history, ceolachan - thanks again! I was once at a dance in Dundee (while on holiday) & a local asked me to dance the Lancers. I said I didn’t know it but he said he’d get me through it. What it seemed to consist of was being thrown from man to man round the room with a volley of ‘heuchs’. Afterwards I was none the wiser, really. But a good time was had by all. 🙂

Hmm….Henry Ford was also instrumental in publishing some other things, which are probably best forgotten.

Lest we forget… 😏

Next time you’re in Clare, they have a lovely way with that set, but it was widespread all over Ireland and there are still versions of it being danced, also true for the Canadian Maritimes ~ Nova Scotia, Quebec, Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, Newfoundland. It’s still danced in New England over in the Northeast of the U.S. of A., and it is in the memory of many, though some of that was the wake of the Fords’ revival.

"it is/was in the memory of many" ~ primarily a comment about these islands, but also true of places already mentioned, including folks dancing it in the hop barns of the Pacific Northwest, mixed with some Scandinavian influences, and a fondness for the schottische, waltz and polka…

That’s a big chunk of history (anti-semitism) to simply forget as though it never happened. Especially when it’s available on Amazon.

Posted by .

Not forget as though it never happened. Forget the finer details - by putting Henry Ford in room 101.

Yes, forgotten as in best not thought about - too shameful.
I grew up in York and ‘did’ local history in school, and it was never mentioned that Clifford’s Tower in the city was the site of a pogrom - a raging mob surrounded the Jews who’d taken refuge there & in the end they killed themselves. There’s a plaque on the site now - people no longer sweep things under the carpet, or if they try to, they’re photographed.

Re: So - what about the Lancers?

I always found that curious, ‘Room 101’, that it represents hell on a tele show, like a bin for burning things, and it’s also the classic first course of study of a given topic, like Journalism 101, or Basket Weaving 101…

Fiddle Aunt, if you’re ever passing this way we’ll be sure to do one form of the Lancers or another with you, if you were in a willing mood, but not throwing you around the place "with a volley of ‘heuchs’". Classically there is one mixing figure in most sets.

Oh great - I would like to do The Lancers properly. It occasionally forms part of Scottish Dancing Balls, but never in our neck of the woods. Cheers!

"I always found that curious, ‘Room 101’, that it represents hell on a tele show, like a bin for burning things, and it’s also the classic first course of study of a given topic, like Journalism 101, or Basket Weaving 101…"

It stems from Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four, and he got the idea from a room where he used to attend some very boring meetings.

As in rats boring into one?!!
We’re a long way from Welsh folk tunes here - not that it isn’t interesting…

How do you *forget* the terrible bits?

I’m constantly looking for creative ways to be here now ~ consumed by neither memory nor amnesia.

Posted by .

🙂 Nice - makes me think. I tend to loiter too much down Memory Lane.

"How do you *forget* the terrible bits?"

It’s quite easy to forget Henry Ford (and his bits), until somebody brings up his name.
The wave of hatred that he was party to could never be forgotten.

What’s it got to do with Welsh music? Nowt, and Henry and Clara’s penchant for dancing hasn’t much to do with it either. Even if it did, it’s not a good advert, given that Henry was such a turd.

It would be hard to avoid "memory" when involved in traditional music.

Hi, Weejie - ye’re gey serious this morning.
There are so many things in the world that are tragic, and we should remember them. But there’s only so much the human spirit can bear. And when we’re close to collapse, ITM is there to lift the spirits.
By the by, when I’m playing a tune that I know, I don’t think it’s memory that’s kicking in. It’s just there - a sort of instinct, or muscle routine?

"By the by, when I’m playing a tune that I know, I don’t think it’s memory that’s kicking in. "

It’s often the case that I can’t remember where I left my fiddle.

I’m not in too serious a mood, just responding to a post. I’m also finishing off a wee transcription with a bit of history. Anecdotes that are maybe worth remembering, rather than a nasty wee man’s attempts to brainwash his employees.

So if you can’t remember where you left your instrument, do you play ‘air fiddle’?
My ‘air bowing’ is brilliant; just wish it was a transferable skill.
Re Henry Ford: I confess, I didn’t know what an anti-Semitic rotter he was, or that he was anti-Catholic too, now I’ve looked him up. I do now, thanks to you. Joining The Session is a Learning Experience.

No, I just sulk for a wee while and then pick up another instrument and make do with that.

Ford was transparently anti-Semitic. The story of Louis Renault is more intriguing. The "dipstick affair" and all that.

Well, yes, that does sound intriguing. Will have to look into it; confess, I’m not really into cars.
(Well, I am, but only if they’re going somewhere.)
Must get on to some cooking before I’m allowed to do my beloved fiddle practice. The Pianist meanwhile will be painting the bathroom ceiling before he may lift his piano lid. Have a fabulous day, Weejie…

101 ~ and the rivers will flow green

Room 101 - Orwell - the room of rats, the place to face ones fears. Funny, I’d not made that connection with Freshman courses and the TV show, which now has a game show style that s’ks, IMHO… We prefer the older format. 😀

"The wave of hatred that he was party to could (should) never be forgotten." ~ Weejie

"What’s it got to do with Welsh music?" ~ Weejie

Well, actually - - - but I won’t go there, we’re enough off the opening post already…

"It would be hard to avoid "memory" when involved in traditional music." ~ Weejie

And the manufactured can be even harder to shake…

As to Ford, too often power and influence is gained and taken by those least deserving. As to his involvement in music and dance, other tyrants have also gone that route. To use a more modern comparison, a kind of Disneyfication of culture, which takes place for tourists at Disneyland and the other Disney franchises. It’s big business nowadays… I wonder if they’ll die the Hudson green this weekend? There will no doubt be many green beers downed and costumes donned. 😏 😛

Back to music and things in Cymru/Wales ~ I’ll try to chase you up a couple more to add to the database here FA, including checking through some recordings. If you do a search for ~ ‘Welsh’ - -Wales’ - ‘Ar Log’ ~ ‘Crasdant’ ~ in the recordings that will give you more to explore, many tracks worth.

""The wave of hatred that he was party to could (should) never be forgotten."

The "could" was deliberate - in response to "how do you …..?"

"Should" - well, some advocate the opposite, but I’d prefer not to forget the episode, but forget the actual articles in Ford’s propaganda pieces, as it was all a pile of crap.

Thanks for your thoughts, Weejie. Though I was intending it a somewhat rhetorical question (peace of mind w/ a touch of irony) rather than a literal "how to" query.

Cheers!

Posted by .

“Ffarwel I’r Marian” - “Merch Megan” - “Malltraeth” ~ a few in 3/4 time

https://thesession.org/tunes/1427

https://thesession.org/tunes/6395

https://thesession.org/tunes/6444

We used to use these for another borrowed dance, well, another like ‘The Lancers’ that traveled well and settle into many places where it has been taken in one form or another as ‘native’, in this case given the Welsh name "Clawdd Offa" / "Offa’s Dyke", a big circle mixer that likely crossed via the English/Welsh border, where some of my family roots are, specifically in The Forest of Dean…

These same waltzes have moved dancers on more than this continent/island. I thought you might like one or more of them Fiddle Aunt, and your piano playing mate as well. 😉

They’d also work fine for a Waltz Lancers… 😀 Or just plain ol’ waltzing as a couple or on your own…

That’s very nice of you, ceolachan - thank you. As it happens, my husband (The Pianist) is particularly fond of waltzes. 🙂

not to detract, but I was reading this thread and that Henry Ford fella, that was the car man that hated Catholics and Jews?

Re: So what about the Fords?! ~ 😛

I’ve just heard in the background "goodnight dear!" I wish I could join her. She can rest as I prepare for a bit of music and dance tonight, but first I’ve dinner to prepare. As to borrowings, tonight’s meal is all Mexican! It would be a shame if we never had that pleasure. I love certain Venezuelan rums too. As one that makes my partner wrinkle her nose in disgust, I’ve been known to make a sandwich with marmalade, a strong blue cheese and pickled fish. I do love pickled fish… 😉

Yup Nate, that’s him. He was quite instrumental in reviving a lot of the dance-to-music in America, but, as Weejie has so rightly raised, there’s that darkness. One branch out of his efforts would be what some folks refer to as ‘Federated Square Dance’. The Quadrilles remained fairly strong into the 1860s and then started to decline. The Fords were interested in all the old time dances, but in a somewhat jingoistic WASPISH way, dressing up an all that sort of thing. Some folks still do it that way, and, sadly, some of those dark shadows persist as well, and, as most of us know, not only in North America…

One of the curious joys of music and dance is how you can actually meet some extreme people and hold conversations with them where you both listen, at least some, having already shared a tune or a dance together. While in any other situation there would be no communication at all, or it would only be vitriolic. While I don’t agree with hate, never can, even questioning it in myself when it threatens to raise my ignorance levels, I have gained a greater understanding about such people and such thoughts. Most recently with a very jingoistic English couple, actually really nice people, who would go out of their way for others, and have, but wouldn’t want certain people and cultures renting their summer homes. How very strange, which signifies my increased understanding still has its natural limitations.

Back to dinner and music, as I’ll likely be lilting and dancing as I prepare tonight’s fare, and picking up an instrument no and then in between. 😉

Well, you know what the Shakespeare character says: ‘A plague on this pickled herring!’ 🙂
Enjoy your evening, and thank you again.

As for this thread, it’s made of two strands - green Welsh wool and Fordian barbed wire. I’ll leave it to you guys to slug that one out.

Passilodeon…

@eiluned yes that’s it, the ap Huw manuscripts , good one. Peter Lloyd (a new member on thesession.org) is the one person I know who plays this music.

I was just asking because I never knew anything about that. All he’s known for over here is the assembly line and Ford Motor Company.

He got onto this thread because he liked folk dancing as well; and then he just kinda stayed and poisoned the atmosphere. I didn’t know it either, Nate, but apparently he had hateful views. I don’t think anyone on the Session is going to agree with him or see him as a hero, so why don’t we give him the grand order of the boot.

There is something to debate: is it possible to like a player/composer/singer/ITM promoter when you know they are racist/sexist/cruel or whatever. Is it wrong to support such a person?

But p-l-e-a-s-e, if anyone wants to talk about that, or say anything further about H. Ford, why not start a new thread?
This here is reserved for Welsh Tunes. 🙂

no fair enough, Auntie, I had no idea. And I drive a Chevy, if it makes any difference. I wasn’t sure if that was the same guy or another Henry Ford from the 17th century or something. Your history over there goes back farther than ours does.

I’ll be talking of nothing crueler than close harmony singing in this thread then

Thanks very much, Mix O’Lydian. I do appreciate the trouble people have taken. Long live the Session! 🙂

You drive a Chevy, Nate? That’s apt, given the huge importance to the English/Scottish folk scene of the ballad ‘Chevy Chase’. So well done you! 🙂

You know we have an actor over here called Chevy Chase. I wonder if that’s his real name or if he’s a secret Scottish Folk enthusiast?

I can’t believe it’s his real name. Look at the actress Anne Hathaway & the aged pop singer Engelbert Humperdinck. I suppose there’s an advantage in choosing a brand name that’s already known. People will remember it even better because you’re not what they …. oh heck, this isn’t about Welsh tunes, darn it!

Ah, thanks, David - that is very helpful.

See the Alawon/Tunes tab on that site (not available to link to)

Thanks again. 🙂

"You know we have an actor over here called Chevy Chase. I wonder if that’s his real name or if he’s a secret Scottish Folk enthusiast?"

He was born "Cornelius", but his granny, who was a classical singer, called him Chevy, apparently after the ballad (or one of them), her being a Douglas and that (some claim he was named after the place in Maryland, but it seems to be from his own account that he was named after the ballad).
It might be better to call the ballad "a Border ballad" rather than purely Scottish. The Geordies seem to come out slightly better off in the end, anyway.

It is a Border Ballad, of course - which is why I referred to it as English/Scottish. And what a brilliant ballad it is too. Thanks for the info re Chevy Chase - I’d often wondered.

And then there’s that Tom Jones, who changed his name, didn’t he ?
Used to much enjoy seeing Mr Pastry dancing the Lancers.

"But p-l-e-a-s-e, if anyone wants to talk about that, or say anything further about H. Ford, why not start a new thread?
This here is reserved for Welsh Tunes. 🙂"

Fair play Fiddle Aunt & I sincerely apologise if you find this post inappropriate. Though, with hope, I intend it to provide more healing than harm. I don’t wish to drag out anyone’s misery; but the Ford family (not Henry Sr.), along with my Michigan friends, have left a deep, lasting & positive impression on my life (nothing to do w/ideology). Not to say that anything, or anyone can undo the terrible damage which resulted from the Sr’s bigotry. But there are members of the Ford family who (imho) have acted in good faith to do the right thing;

"not to detract, but I was reading this thread and that Henry Ford fella, that was the car man that hated Catholics and Jews?" ~ Posted by Nate Ryan
Yes, Nate. Henry Ford Sr. Not to be confused with his grandson of the same name.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/12/henry-ford-ii-and-the-jews-righting-a-wrong/

A 1,000 apologies Fiddle Aunt. A wonderful thread through the good & the bad.

So - please now - what about Welsh music & dance?

Posted by .

What was that line in "Ar Hyd y Nos" again?

"Dyma’r ffordd i fro gogoniant"

Just googled it.
‘This is the way to the land of glory.’
Right on! 🙂

"Clawdd Off" / "Cader Idris"

Correction needing to be made ~ I’d confused two dances above ~ "Clawdd Offa" / "Offa’s Dyke" is a square dance, for four couples, the ‘big circle mixer’ I was confusing it with is "Cader Idris", and it is the one that with little doubt crossed via the English/Welsh border and English ceilidhs…

It’s been a rough few days. While I did warn them, suspecting it wasn’t a good idea ~ my blood giving day this week was on a fast day, and I’ve had a headache ever since. But, worse was that it took three of them to probe around in my arm trying to connect with a vein. And, it was 16 degrees when I sat down and it soon dropped to below that. It took at least an hour of bells, differences in flow, for them to get a litre of blood out of me.

Now where’s the aspirin? 😉

I’ve decided on a lager instead, and a bit of music… I don’t really like pills.

@ceolochan sounds like you were quite dehydrated. I could never give blood because nobody could find the view. What do you mean by Bells (I hope it’s the whisky) ?

I meant "vein" tried to alter it but it wouldn’t.

eiluned ~ the constant ringing was the machine when I wasn’t leaking fast enough for them. It was in a college sports hall, obviously not heated, ice and snow outside, and right after they finally found a leak the temperature dipped below 16 degrees and the started refusing people who’d had appointments. I had to keep opening and closing my hand to try to get it to flow better. An hour later they had their half a litre, and I got a cup of tea and a biscuit. 😉

Back to the thread ~

The whisky’s much better!

Forgot to add the earlier one:

"Y Lancers" - single jig
# Added by ceolachan - 11/3/2013
https://thesession.org/tunes/12584

Yes, torture eiluned, I so would love to be nursing a nice glass of Welsh whiskey right now… 🙁