Tunes learned in classes or workshop

Tunes learned in classes or workshop

I wonder if it is generally agreed that tunes learned in classes or workshops may be passed on to other people. With this I don’t just mean playing them at your local session, but for instance posting them on this database. If I submit a setting of a tune and let people know who I learned it from, would this be alright for a teacher? And what about composed tunes? If at class you get taught a reel or two only recently written and not published yet, would the teacher want these tunes to be made available to whoever is interested?

Obviously, if someone holds a workshop, he will be happy enough if scholars to go ahead and play whatever they were taught. But what about sharing the tunes around here, do you think this is well within the bounds of acceptability?

Re: Tunes learned in classes or workshop

Tunes in general, not problem at all, spread them as widely as you can.

New compositions are a bit different - if it was the teacher’s composition, then the sensible and polite thing to do would be to ask first. If it is someone else’s composition that your teacher has picked up and passed on, then the process has already started, and you might as well carry on spreading it.

I can never remember tunes I learned in classes or workshops. I think if you could, it is fair enough to play them and show them to your mates.

I would have no problem with a teacher who wanted accrediting with a tune he had taught me, as long as he accredited all the people who had taught him what he knows about traditional music.

Posted by .

When I conduct a music class/workshop I give each participant a CD of the music I’m presenting, and sheet music for that music. I’ve always assumed that having done so, the materials handed out are in public domain and people are free to distribute them and make copies to give to whoever may be interested. The operative word being "FREE".

Its music. If it can be heard, it can be shared. There is no law saying anything differently. Unless your trying to make money on it…

Seems to be in the "it depends" category, iris eve. As far as transcriptions of setting of traditional tunes, it’s probably not bad form to ask the teacher first.

As for newly composed tunes, check in with the composer. Especially if who you learned the tune from isn’t the composer—the teacher might not be aware if the tune is registered, formally copyrighted, in the hands of a publisher, etc.

Here’s one of the more thorough charts going through complications related to US copyright law (which desperately needs to be reformed): http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm