Email list for London area beginner/intermediate players to co-ordinate house sessions

Email list for London area beginner/intermediate players to co-ordinate house sessions

I think this is something that is useful and a helpful stepping stone into session playing, without some of the hassle that goes with turning up to a strange pub session. The idea is that it can be smaller groups of players of roughly equal abilities who can maybe agree common tunes/styles beforehand and so on and so forth. I don’t want to impose a particular sort of structure on how it’s meant to work….I’d rather stand back and let order emerge from the chaos!

The group page (with some more commentary) can be found at

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/lbihs

or you can subscribe directly by emailing lbihs+subscribe@googlegroups.com

I’d be interested in any thoughts/comments. In particular, I’d appreciate any suggestions of other venues to publicise this list. And would it be appropriate to add it to the session directory here?

Posted by .

Re: Email list for London area beginner/intermediate players to co-ordinate house sessions

What a great idea - just wish I lived near London!

Re: Email list for London area beginner/intermediate players to co-ordinate house sessions

No you don’t - dreadful city! But if you smash eight million people together, you must have a few dozen would-be players somewhere :D

Posted by .

Not sure I agree with your definition of intermediate player, being able to play along with BBC Virtual Session. I’d say that would be somewhere around "advanced beginner".

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree - the reason I used it was it’s a simple and arbitrary reference point that works across all instruments, and I think if you find the BBC session easily achievable then you’re probably ready for the real world.

And of course intermediate means different things on different instruments - an intermediate fiddler is probably not as capable compared to an intermediate whistle player, say.

Since no-one has said it’s a bad idea, I’ll attempt to add this to the session database, and hope I don’t break something.

Posted by .