Whos The Best???

Whos The Best???

Votes please on the best fiddle player ever.
Im undecided but if Martin Hayes and Eileen Ivers ever had kids…

Re: WHOS THE BEST???

Nero.

I was driving home from work this morning and was listening to Tommy Peoples on the radio playing the monaghan jig/ the ship in full sail/ the Blarney pilgrim. When i got home i listened to that album( waiting for a call) and came to the conclusion that he is without doubt the best fiddle player i have ever listened to( not that i’m any expert). A few months back i recorded my favourite fiddle tunes on to a minidisc to listen to when walking my dog, and now that i think of it, the vast majority of tunes on that minidisc are from Tommy Peoples. I love listening to Cathal Hayden and Zoe Conway aswell but Peoples wins out every time.
I’ve listened to Eileen Ivers and Martin Hayes a good few times and i’ve failed to find the facination that some of my friends have with them? Everybody differs i suppose…..

Hands down, Sean Keane. Some people say it was Sean Maguire. Im sorry but Sean Maguire sounds too much like a scottish highland fiddler to even be remotly compared to a true irish fiddler. He weaves back and forth between Irish and Scots music. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good fiddler, I just think he plays too much like a Scot.

Johnathan

i would have said dave swarbrick used to be…or am i a bit out of date here…

Who’s the best? Not this again. It’s all a matter of personal taste and playing should be about enjoying the music—not aspiring to be the next whoever. In our own homes or with our friends, we can all be the best—-or , at least, good enough for our own satisfaction. :>))

we’ve been over this recently aye. Everyone has a different idea of what Best is. But he did say fiddler not irish fiddler Johnathan so maybe we could include some scots ones. Anyway in about 2 years time i’ll hopefully be the best 😉

Posted by .

so why was tommy phoning ye steve?

Posted by .

Me.

-P

This question reminds me of the old rule of thumb definition that an "expert" is the one person in the room who knows more about the subject than anyone else present.
I expect some of us have been startled out of a reverie in a boring office meeting by someone saying "you’re the expert on this - what’s your opinion?". Cue frantic mental cobbling together of a response which sounds suitably impressive but which doesn’t actually commit you to anything.
Trevor

natalie macmaster …Mmmmm Natalie !!!

Brian Conway!

Brian Conway is a good fiddler, however he’s a jerk. That makes him far worse of a player in my eyes…

Easy there! I know Brian & I know he checks out the comments here every so often. Best keeping nasty comments like that to yourself. Tsk tsk!!

Sorry - the week I had in his class at Swannanoa was the worst ITM experience of my life. But you’re right, I should have kept my feelings about him to myself.

Hey, I know what it’s like to be all psyched up for something & have it not be what you expected. I will say that Brian doesn’t fart around when he’s teaching - he challenges a student right where work is needed most.

Gavin is good, Hayden is good, Peoples is good, the Kane’s are good,

Natalie MacMaster ….and Subramaniam (Tamil)

Posted by .

Thanks for the info, Snorre. I leave for Bergen on Wednesday but I leave on Monday when some of the music etc was supposed to be happening. However, I’ve checked the Bergen web site and there are one or two Irish pubs. Perhaps, they’ll let us have a tune ourselves, if it’s quiet.

I hope to buy a rake of good fiddle music when I’m there and check out a few tune books, so it won’t be a wasted journey.

John

There’s no such thing as best - only your favorite ( and that can change over time). My favourite fiddler ( at present) is Oisin MacDiarmada.

Posted by .

I meant "favourite".

Posted by .

I had Oisin as my teacher at Willie Clancy in ‘98 (his first time, and mine too!) He was 20 at the time and I must say, the most mature 20 year old, and one of the best teachers (of anything) I have ever had. He’s a wonderful player and person and has just gotten better over time.

I also sat next to Mick Conneely in a session at Matt Malone’s in Westport, Co. Mayo and was stunned! It’s hard to say "the best" b/c there are so many good ones and it’s not really a contest or anything…but that is so human nature to wanna make the comparison.

Martin Hayes. lovely fiddler and lovely person.

I really enjoy the playing of Mair

Posted by .

I’m a big Brian Conway fan and consider him a gentleman.I have heard nothing but good things about him as a teacher. I think anyone who posts a comment like violinssey did is the jerk.!

OK. Errik’s convinced me. Is it too late to change my vote from Nero to Wanda for the best fiddle player ever?

Gary,
Are we talking about famous fiddlers only?

Posted by .

I’m also a Brian Conway fan. I find him to be an extremely nice guy and totally cool. He has been a guest at our home a couple times when he was performing in Vermont and both my husband and I really enjoyed his company and hopes he comes up again soon! I agree with oldetimey that violinssey is the one with the problem. If you don’t have anything nice to say about someone, then don’t post!

Who’s the Best? Didn’t we already have this conversation? Well Brian Conway would surely be one of my top favourites!

Joyce

Posted by .

Hey oldetimey - who are you and where in Vermont do you live? If you can make it, try coming out to the Radio Bean Coffee House on wed nites (we start around 9ish). There’s also good local beer on tap too! I read in your bio that you have taken an interest in Irish Music. Our session is 99% Irish, so it’s a nice opportunity to hear and learn all kinds of lovely Irish tunes.

Cheers,
Joyce

Posted by .

You should post it then

I posted the session quite a while back. Do a search for sessions in Vermont.

Posted by .

Sound.

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but I’ve got to leap to Brian’s defense. Brian is a top-drawer fiddler and a gentleman. I’m sorry that one of you seemed to have a bad experience while in his class; perhaps you should consider why you felt that way, and why the others there seemed to really enjoy it. I’ve known Brian for some time and have had the pleasure of playing with him quite a bit. I’ve never known him to be anything but fair and kind, and firm when the situation warrants it. He is also, of course, a cracking fiddler, but even his detractor has acknowledged that. If all ITM players had Brian’s integrity and class, the world would be a better place.

My favorite fiddler, and the best in my opinion is Tommy Peoples, hands down. I’ve had the privilege to take several workshops from him, and he’s a great guy, it was so cool to learn from the legend himself. I also like Martin Hayes and Liz Carrol…

I think Donnell Leahy. Have you seen him play
Cape Breton Medley? He has got to be the best!!!!!!!!If not Natalie MacMaster

I too have to say that Brian Conway is the nicest man out there and I can’t imagine how anyone could find a problem with him. I love that he’s serious when it comes to fiddling. We need more Conways in this world.

Heh… just found this thread while killing some time.

I’ve only met/played with Mr. Conway once… years ago, at the O’Neill’s pub sesh in NYC, in 2oo1/2002 when I was quite new and no doubt clueless. It was probably my first session outside my home turf full of strangers. Despite that, he was absolutely gracious to me and gave me some good feedback as well. S0 count me in among his defenders.